Nikon D750 or 70-200 VRII Auto Focus Issue?

nielsonderwater

Hi All,

My Nikon 70-200 VRII on my Nikon D750 doesn't focus properly anymore. It has been my go to setup for years and I use this setup on a weekly basis, however in the middle of a shoot the problem appeared out of the blue and nothing strange happend... It's driving me nuts because the 70-200 used to be my most snappy lens in terms of auto focussing!

The symptoms

When I try to lock focus (at any focal length, no matter whether the object is close by or in the distance) it keeps hunting and when it locks, 9/10 times it is not in focus. It keeps hunting a very tiny bit, only a little bit in front and behind the focus point. You can hear the auto focus motor ticking back and forth, it's almost like it is on continues focus while I have my AF set at AF - S S. The strange thing is, in Live View it does not focus at all. It has absolutely no clue where to lock focus...

The things I have tried

- Switching my AF setting to continues, auto, etc. - doesn't change a thing

- Checking whether AF is actually on.. Obviously, both on lens and camera

- Trying whether it has something to do with the image stabilisation - Nope

- Check whether it has something to do with focus/shutter priority - Nope

- Fine tune the AF in the menu - Nope, keeps hunting and missing the focus point

- Using other lenses on my D750 - all my 5 other lenses work fine

- Using the 70-200 on another body - the af works without a single problem...

- Update to the latest D750 firmware - No difference

I have absolutely no clue what the source of the problem is. I went to my local retailer, and they had also no idea but were pretty convinced the problem was in the body.

Do you have any ideas what the problem could be or other tests I could conduct to find the source of the problem?

Thanks!

Niels

- Using other lenses on my D750 - all my 5 other lenses work fine

- Using the 70-200 on another body - the af works without a single problem...

Those two items would suggest the problem is in mating the lens to the camera.

The easiest and least expensive thing to try is cleaning the contacts on both the lens and camera.

Examine the camera and lens mounts, with a magnifying glass.

Next closely examine how the lens mounts to the camera. Is there any play? Is the lens mounted completely?

Next call Nikon Tech Support.

Edited by bgelfand