Nikon D750: oily spots on CCD sensor?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by sam_ginger, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Does Nikon D750 has the same problem as Nikon D600 with oily spots on the sensor?
    Thanks!

2. From all I've heard, the answer is no. And FWIW, it's not a CCD, it's a CMOS.

3. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

I have had my D750 since December 2014, a few months after that model was first announced. Never have any issue with oil spots on the sensor. In fact, I have never had that issue with any one of my a dozen or so Nikon DSLRs, but I have never owned one with the digit 4, 6, or 9 in the model number.

4. In eight months of use I don't think I saw a single dust or oil spot in my images from that camera.

5. If it occurs in a Nikon DSLR, it is by no means a unique phenomena, particularly early in the camera's life. There are a lot of moving parts, all of which must be lubricated in some way. I have to clean my cameras regularly. Usually it's just dust, but occasionally something more tenacious, often oily. For that there is no substitute for the wet cleaning method, using Eclipse Fluid (high purified methanol) and lint-free swabs. I was surprised to find oil spots on the sensor of both of my Sony A7 cameras. However once cleaned, I haven't had to repeat the wet method. The Sony has a vibrating cleaning cycle on each power-up. I rarely have to touch up the sensor, and then only using micro-fiber brushes (Visible Dust). The brushes work on DSLRs too, usually every three weeks or so unless you use the camera in especially dusty environments (e.g., Southern Spain). It is not as tricky as it sounds, but one must exercise due diligence. I refer to the Copperhill method, which can be found on the web. A sensitive test for sensor dust or contamination is to point the lens toward a blank section of the sky, set to the smallest aperture in Aperture Priority. Focus is not important. Dust seen in this test is probably invisible at f/8 or wider, or hidden in image detail. That's why you don't see dust under normal circumstances unless it is present in large amounts.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  6. Over 40K and no oil spots/no cleaning required.

7. I very rarely clean my camera sensors, maybe once per year on a camera I blow some air towards the sensor or use a vacuum and that does it. With older cameras that didn't feature sensor shaking dust reduction, it was more of a problem especially when doing macro. One thing that does wonders is if you use a vacuum instead of blowing air, as the vacuum really takes out the dust whereas blowing air into the camera generally just moves it into some other area inside the camera from where it can move back. However, with a vacuum you have to be more careful and use minimum flow setting to make sure the draft is not too strong. I find the vacuum to keep the sensor dust clean for a longer period. I take care not to take out the lens in a dusty environment, of course.

8. I'm just very paranoid about dust and shoot at wider apertures if I possibly can. I expect spotting trouble if I'm at f/22. Occasionally I send my sensor to Nikon rather than making things worse by trying to clean it in a house full of cat hair. I'll try to get any fluff I see out of the mirror box, though (so far a blower is usually spectacularly ineffectual, and I end up using a brush).

9. Is Nikon doing a good job to clean sensor? Any experience with Nikon about it? Thanks!