Nikon D7200 as webcam

Miha

Hi,

I'm trying to use my D7200 as a webcam in ZOOM application. I downloaded the Nikon Webcam Utility and installed it. When I open the ZOOM application on my desktop computer (windows) i get a picture but it is not focused. The AF just doesn't work. Even if I switch to manual focus and try to focus manually the picture just isn't sharp.

I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Can anybody help, please.

Regards, Miha.

I'm using the AF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 G VR DX lens. At the same distance the lens is focusing perfectly when not attached to the computer. So the MFD isn't a problem. I just found out I have to put both switches (on the camera and on the lens) to manual to focus manually. So when focused manually the picture on the monitor is sharp. But I'd like to have the AF.

When AF is on, is anything happening at all, or is it not operating?

I presume you've made sure that the focus points are in the right place If Zoom uses Live View, make sure you do it there. I haven't tried this, but some cameras also behave oddly when the Live View AF is set to AFF. It's a long shot, but if it's not set to AFS in Live View you might try that.

I tried everything - AF-S and AF-C but nothing happens. When not connected to the PC, everythings works OK. So camera and lens are OK. Manual focusing is OK, the picture is reasonably sharp, resolution is over 640 x 480 for sure.

'The D7200 is not listed as compatible with the Nikon webcam utility.'

This statment IS NOT TRUE. According to the official Nikon page How to Live stream with Nikon Cameras | Nikon Nikon D7200 is listed as compatible. Just read the paragraphs under the title "What you'll need".

"* Supported digital cameras: Z 7II, Z 7, Z 6II, Z 6, Z 5, Z 50, D6, D5, D850, D810, D780, D750, D500, D7500, D7200, D5600, D5500, D5300 and D3500."

• Like 1

This statment IS NOT TRUE. According to the official Nikon page How to Live stream with Nikon Cameras | Nikon Nikon D7200 is listed as compatible. Just read the paragraphs under the title "What you'll need".

"* Supported digital cameras: Z 7II, Z 7, Z 6II, Z 6, Z 5, Z 50, D6, D5, D850, D810, D780, D750, D500, D7500, D7200, D5600, D5500, D5300 and D3500."

Hmmm.. I must have read the older version statement.

Can you just use manual pre-focus at the area you will sit or stand? Good luck.

Hi,

I'm trying to use my D7200 as a webcam in ZOOM application. I downloaded the Nikon Webcam Utility and installed it. When I open the ZOOM application on my desktop computer (windows) i get a picture but it is not focused. The AF just doesn't work. Even if I switch to manual focus and try to focus manually the picture just isn't sharp.

I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Can anybody help, please.

Regards, Miha.

Do you have AF in live view mode set to "AF-F, Full-time-servo AF"?

640x480 is very 1980'ish. If the camera has an HDMI output, you can connect it to a computer using an HDMI to USB converter, which is recognized by nearly any software as a webcam, including Zoom Conference, Webex, Wirecast and OBS. With the right adapter, you can ingest 4K, but 1080p60 to 720p30 takes less bandwidth and is more than enough.

640x480 is very 1980'ish. If the camera has an HDMI output, you can connect it to a computer using an HDMI to USB converter, which is recognized by nearly any software as a webcam, including Zoom Conference, Webex, Wirecast and OBS. With the right adapter, you can ingest 4K, but 1080p60 to 720p30 takes less bandwidth and is more than enough.

That's a good idea. I assume such converter cables are much cheaper than video input boards (although i haven't priced those lately either, or even know if they're still made).

Thanks for the replies.

I will try the settings for the live-view as suggested.

As I know, the nikon webcam software only supports the USB input, not the HDMI.

As for the prefocusing - this is what I do. But i'd like to change focus in the conference time to show some objects that are in different distance relative to computer/camera.

The Wavelink 4K adapter is for output only, not input. For example, you can use it for a second display, a television set, or a video projector. In general these devices show the entire screen rather than a particular window. If you have a Mac, third-party HDMI dongles may not work with a second monitor. The Apple version is actually cheaper.

I use an AJA U-Tap HDMI to USB3 input adapter for up to 1080p60. I also have a sister version with a 3G SDI interface. You can get 4K input cards, but they're generally more expensive, and require aThunderbolt port. 4K is excessive for webcam applications. Zoom and Webex are limited to 720p for streaming. You can post 4K on YouTube and Vimeo, for example, but not live-stream.

AJA U-TAP USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1 Powered HDMI Capture Device

• Like 1

Problem solved!

The advice FPapp gave, did the trick.

I had to switch on live view and set the full time auto focus AF-F, than switch the camera off (switching AF-C on the camera was not enough). Now I start the ZOOM meeting, connect the camera to computer via USB and switch on the video-transfer in the ZOOM meeting. Now the camera does autofocus. It is slower than usual (when using the camera untethered) but is usable. I can zoom and move the focus on the objects I like by moving the camera. AF also works with other third party lenses.

I hope this advice is helpful for others who might use their DSLR as a webcam.

Thanks for all your help and advices.

Regards, Miha.

• Like 3

Hi,

as I learned, in the beta (test) version of the Webcam Utility - released someday in spring or summer - the D7200 and D750 were not listed as compatible. But with the official release of the utility, the range of compatible cameras was broadend significantly.

So if you have one of the not so old cameras it is worth checking.

I don't intend to use the camera regularly for all my meetings, but for some specifical tasks a zoom option is a great benefit.

I'm glad my question and the offered solutions can be of help for other users too.

for some specifical tasks a zoom option is a great benefit

Indeed. Most webcams, esp. those built into laptops are very wide and give people big noses and little ears and show lots of the background. Sometimes, I think they're designed for side by side couples!

Obviously, one issue is people are naturally portrait shaped and most modern webcams are 16:9 landscape.

To fit a bunch of people via Teams or Zoom to the maximum 49, square would suit best, but most seem to be still landscape. Maybe it's a hidden setting most don't use?