Nikon D7100 refurbished

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by georges_walker, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Does anyone has a recent experience with a refurbished Nikon D7100 ?
    Would you recommend rather than buying a new one? Seems like it is only $200 the difference...
    I will appreciate your comments.

2. Refurbished by who? If it's a direct Nikon refurb on their site I would consider buying it. $200 is subjective, to some that is
    a lot of money if they work and make $9 an hour minus taxes.

3. A refurb? Already. Hmmm....

4. Nikon Refurbs are fine. Who are you getting it from?
    A refurb? Already. Hmmm....​
    Refurbs are generally not broken and repaired cameras. They are samples, demos and factory sold returns.

5. My experience with a refurb has not been so great. Bought a D300s from Nikon when it showed up the camera would not turn off. Anytime a battery was in the camera it was on no matter the position of the switch. Sent it to Nikon for repair under warranty. They replaced a couple of things inside the camera. It is back and is fine but it kind of turned me off to the whole refurb thing.

6. I have bought a D300 and a D5100 as refurbs; never had a problem with them. I would not hesitate to buy Nikon reconditioned refurbs, but I would want to save more than $200.
    Kent in SD

7. Not shrugging a refurb, but since the camera is so new, I'd take it with a grain of salt. I have zero problems with a certified refurb. The camera model has only been on the market for six months. My D5100 was a refurb. Never had an issue, but I bought it from a reliable camera store.

8. "A refurb? Already. Hmmm...."
    -
    "...but since the camera is so new, I'd take it with a grain of salt."​
    No "Hmmm" or grain of salt needed. Many of these refurbs are from buyer returns to vendors, and they can no longer be sold as new, so the vendor sends them back to Nikon for refurbishment. And thanks to generous store return policies, many buyer returns are not for defects. Often there's not a darn thing wrong with a camera that has to go back to Nikon for an inspection and "refurbishment". 6 months from release date is plenty of time for factory refurbs to find their way back into the supply chain.
    $200 isn't a big saving over brand new (about 16.5%), particularly if the vendor doesn't top up the usual Nikon 90 day warranty to a full year. Your call.

9. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

For example, Nikon USA sent me a D7100 for review pretty much as soon as it was available back in March/April. I used it for a month and then sent it to Cara, photo.net's editor in chief. She had it for a few weeks. It is back to Nikon now.
    What do you think Nikon does with those review cameras?
    Of course there are a number of reasons that a fairly new camera becomes a "refurbished" one. The above is only one possibility, and there are others. Assuming that Cara didn't damage it, if you happen to get the one I tried, it should be great. I have since bought my own D7100 and that one has been fine also.

10. I buy refurbs all the time, computers (a MacBook pro 17" 2.2Ghz i7 for for$1900 US down from $2700), cameras, two D300s bodies for $1250 each shortly after earthquake/tsunami over two years ago when I saw that the D400 was going to be long delayed or never, and the prices would go up for existing stock. I was right and only now is the price down again. Both cameras are doing just fine.

11. I apologize for using a wrong term. Instead of REFURBISHED actually it is USED, LIKE NEW.
    There are different options at Amazon. The camera is not for me but for a friend of mine.
    However all the responses are good as a reference. I will keep that in mind.
    Thanks,

12. To me, that is not enough of a savings to be a used camera. Refurb, yes. Used, no.

13. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Used, like new from Amazon third-party sellers could potentially be non-Nikon USA products, and there is no warranty. (Nikon USA warranties are not transferable anyway; it is only good for the original purchaser.) If that item fails, Nikon USA will refuse to fix it. I am not familiar with the rules in, e.g., Mexico.

14. I agree, refurbished is not equal to used. Under these circumstances new risk arises. If the camera is second hand, as longs there is no any technical inspection, the original owner is not qualified for saying that it is in good shape. Didn't realize that before...
    refurbished ≠ used, like new
    In Mexico warranties are transferable, speaking in general terms. According to Mexican regulations, in order to apply for a warranty, the customer must show the still valid warranty regardless if it is on his/her name. Original owner may yield, transfer the rights to the new owner. Private companies cannot act against rules protected under Mexican laws. From Nikon perspective, warranty must be valid in Mexico, product must be purchased in Mexico.

15. Well, a refurb D7100 will have to be about $800 because Canon just announced the 70D for $1100 brand new.
    Don't you just love digital depreciation! But thats good because I'm after a $400 D300S and thats a reality now.
    The other day I bought a 2009 Leica D-Lux 4 for $280 from B&H and with warranty. The f2 lens is terrific as are the images. They are in my gallery, and no post. Someone at some stage paid $900 for it.
    Personally, I don't think you need to spend more than a grand to satisfy all but the most ardent professionals.

16. There seems to be a standard belief (perpetuated by both Nikon and Canon) that refurbished cameras actually were once in the retail chain, and no doubt some few were.
    In my great experience owning over 50 refurbs, I have only seen one refurb that I can truly identify as ever having been a salesman's sample because it was so badly brassed that the dealer regarded it as unsalable. He returned the fancy lens to Nikon, and they refunded his money.
    Consider this: Nikon spends vast amounts setting up long and expensive assembly lines and there seems to be only one way to sell things: NEW with product sampling quality control, and no way to undercut prices without howling from the dealers and blowing the whole sales/pricing scheme.
    So, what if they ran the assembly line a little extra hard or filled in slow times running even more units or just kept it running when demand was slower than they needed to sell all NEW products and called those products 'refurbs' put them in less fancy boxes, advertised them with a 90-day warranty (which some dealers bumped up to a 1-year warranty with their own internal extensions), and then made sure that each camera/lens or other so-called refurbished item looked, worked and acted brand new?
    People would believe they once were in the retail chain because some percent were, but not all, and there would be no way to tell which was which.
    Sure enough, some items that do enter the retail chain and are returned with problems are resold as refurbs. Three of them I've ended up with, and those were spotless, but they also had battery connection problems that were intermittent and each had to make three trips to Nikon repair (out of over 50 purchases) to get even diagnosed as the problems were so intermittent. But they may not have been 'refurb' cameras; they may have been 'new' disguised as 'refurbs' with a problem common to 'new' or a mix of the two.
    The cameras (2 D300 and a D90) were all suffering from similar problems, and some buyer I think had returned the cameras as defective, or considering the frequency of the problem and complaints on the Internet the cameras tended new to such problems intermittently.
    That particular problem was extremely hard to diagnose because it was intermittent - probably a manuf design flaw.
    I once bought one of two identical macro lenses, put it on my camera and it wouldn't focus properly at infinity, but the dealer, after much consternation, found the other would focus exactly, swapped them out and sent the one with the only back focus problem I've ever encountered directly to Nikon for repair. It also was a refurb, but it could have been new as well . . . . and escaped testing and repair.
    In any case, the problem had not been caught, but as 'new' it probably would not be caught on 'sample testing'.
    At least with refurbs, techs go over each item and put them through their paces IF THEY HAVE ENTERED THE RETAIL CHAIN AND BEEN RETURNED so they qualify as refurbs. I think they put new external bodies on all of their 'refurb' merchandise and reset shutter counters as well and maybe even replace shutters?
    I have a strong feeling that Nikon (and Canon) overrun their assembly lines and churn out extra products, mark them as 'refurbs', make them available to certain high volume, big city camera dealers only which often sell by Internet but cannot otherwise discount, and that allows them to offer 'lower prices' without violating Nikon and Canon's pricing scheme. In return the customer gets a marked box (refurb) and a shorter factory warranty (90 days instead of one year) which the dealers sometimes supplement to one year, say in the case of New York's Cameta Camera which does heavy Internet sales.
    I am of the firm belief that 'refurb' does not always mean 'refurb' but that new cameras also come sometimes with problems and occasionally a 'refurb' camera comes with an 'intermittent problem' that was not findable by factory techs when it was returned because it had to be held in a certain manner, tilted to a certain angle, shaken at the same time to a certain degree before the problem manifested itself, and therefore the tech (testing a static returned item) missed the problem entirely.
    Those are risks, and if you wait over 90 days (Nikon disregards that for me, generally because of my travels) then you may be out of luck, but they do throw in generally a one-month 'good will' extension on all warranty repairs, refurb or not.
    So always try for a warranty repair. If you and camera were abroad and cannot send it in during the warranty period and it will expire, call them and tell them,call them during the warranty repair to establish the defect during the warranty period, take names and return after the warranty period, and generally at least Nikon will handle it, when you remind them that you reported during the warranty period.
    As to refurbs, in my theory, never having seen a scratch (except in one instance) on a refurb camera or lens), I believe that 'new' is being repackaged as 'return' in some cases, and that it's a large number of cases.
    In any case, the number of returns are gone over so well that I would never hesitate to buy one; I buy only refurbs when I can, as I can usually identify no difference except in a fuller wallet when the transaction is done.
    If I were buying a camera to take to a one-time major sporting event, I'd buy new (no refurb) and test it thoroughly first under variable circumstances, then put it to work at the sporting event, and in that one case I wouldn't tolerate a refurb, IF MY PURCHASE WAS SPONSORED.
    I'm a prolific refurb purchaser (and 'new' purchaser as well).
    john
    John (Crosley)

17. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Just for your info, I have had some really bad experience with refurbished Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR, although those could be just isolated cases: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Y8dY
    On the one my friend received, you could hear something, possibly a screw, rattling inside when you shoke the lens, and its AF did not work at all.