Nikon d7000 questions

asianbels74

Hello, i am just wondering if nikon d7000 is a good camera for beginner photographers like me. The camera is almost 10 yrs old, its quiet heavy and i only have 1 lens at the moment which is “af-s nikkor 18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED” which i dont know if its a good lens or not as it came with the camera when my dad bought it. So my question is, is it still worth it using this camera and should i stick with this lens or look for a better one. Thanks.

The D7000 with the 18-105 is still a good combination today, although it is certainly not the latest and greatest. It is a fine set up for a beginner, especially if you don't need to pay for it. If you have important images, try to use two SD cards in the backup model. Use that for a while and see how long it takes before you outgrow that set up.

I bought my D7000 just over 10 years ago around October 2010. Back then, I paid $100 for each 32G SD memory card, Cards are a lot cheaper today.

The D7000 is good enough. It's advanced enough not to hinder beginners. It doesn't yield the best quality images compared to new cameras but it's good to start with. After a while you will know what you need. It's better than say a D3500 because the controls on the D3500 is a hinder to beginners.

+1 to all the above. I would rate a D7000 + 18-105mm as an excellent starting setup for learning. It has the added benefit of the D7000's more adaptable controls and features, as opposed to the D5XXX and D3XXX series. 16.2 Mp is plenty of resolution, particularly for images that will be shared primarily over the Internet or other digital media. It will take a lot of time and effort to outgrow that camera and lens.
  • Like 1

The D7000 with the 18-105 is still a good combination today, although it is certainly not the latest and greatest. It is a fine set up for a beginner, especially if you don't need to pay for it.

Absolutely. If you already own it, shoot with it, have fun with it. It's not the latest and greatest, but it's still a very capable camera. Truth be told, its capabilities probably exceed the needs of most people who still own one (myself included). Although I have not used the AF-S 18~105, it is a good lens for a beginner with a nice field of view from moderate wide angle to medium telephoto.

I recently updated to FX with a D750, but I kept my D7000 for 300mm and longer telephoto use.

• Like 1

Hello, i am just wondering if nikon d7000 is a good camera for beginner photographers like me. The camera is almost 10 yrs old, its quiet heavy and i only have 1 lens at the moment which is “af-s nikkor 18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED” which i dont know if its a good lens or not as it came with the camera when my dad bought it. So my question is, is it still worth it using this camera and should i stick with this lens or look for a better one. Thanks.

A lot depends on how "good" and "expensive" this older used camera is, i guess, if it is heavely used allready it may get to its maximn usable life. A D7000 is not a "pro-grade " camera so it might be interresting to find out how well ( shuttercount) it was used and how well it was cared for..

A lot depends on how "good" and "expensive" this older used camera is, i guess, if it is heavely used allready it may get to its maximn usable life. A D7000 is not a "pro-grade " camera so it might be interresting to find out how well ( shuttercount) it was used and how well it was cared for..

This would be a problem for the beginner. If the camera is fully functional it's not a problem but if it's not then a beginner wouldn't know. However, I think his father can verify that.

• Like 1

Perfectly decent camera+lens. The OP should download the Nikon manual and research online resources for set-up tips. Who really cares if it's not a "pro" camera??? Nikon's "prosumer" D7000/7100/7200 were no slouches. My advice? Enjoy it and shoot it till it breaks.

As others said, the D7000 is an excellent camera for a beginner as long as it is in good working order. As you use it, watch out for one thing: it is easy to accidentally change the position of the exposure mode dial. This is the upper dial on the top of the camera, on the left side as you look at the rear screen. It can easily rotate as you're taking the camera out of a bag, or even brushing against you as you carry it on a strap. Lean what modes you like to use and make a habit of checking the dial to make sure you're in the mode you want.

It might not be "pro", but it's a robust and very well made DSLR with magnesium alloy body construction and a bright pentaprism viewfinder, shutter is tested to 150k cycles, it can autofocus older screwdrive AF/AF-D lenses and it meters with non-CPU manual focus Nikkors. In short, a great camera for beginners or even advanced amateurs who don't need or want the latest and greatest.

And if I read the OP's post correctly, it was FREE! Can't go wrong with that. :)

• Like 1

As well as I know, the D7x00 are all very fine cameras, much better than the D3x00 and D5x00 series,

even for the later models of those lines.

Someone can say if I am wrong, but I believe the D7000 also works with AI lenses

and older AF lenses that use the motor in the camera. That would allow the OP to buy used

lenses that are often very reasonably priced.

Does it work with SD-HC, as most of the newer (larger) SD cards are? If not, you need a

good collection of older SD cards.

The other problem is that the batteries might be getting old and not so good.

Other than those, it should be a great beginner and fine intermediate camera.

• Like 1

-- glen

It might not be "pro", but it's a robust and very well made DSLR with magnesium alloy body construction and a bright pentaprism viewfinder, shutter is tested to 150k cycles, it can autofocus older screwdrive AF/AF-D lenses and it meters with non-CPU manual focus Nikkors. In short, a great camera for beginners or even advanced amateurs who don't need or want the latest and greatest.

And if I read the OP's post correctly, it was FREE! Can't go wrong with that. :)

These are all the reasons I also endorse the D7000 as a very good first camera.

Hello, i am just wondering if nikon d7000 is a good camera for beginner photographers like me. The camera is almost 10 yrs old, its quiet heavy and I o nAppValley - Download AppValley for iOS (iPhone/iPad)nly have 1 lens at the moment which is “af-s nikkor 18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED” which i dont know if its a good lens or not as it came with the camera when my dad bought it. So my question is, is it still worth it using this camera and should i stick with this lens or look for a better one. Thanks.

issue got solved

• Like 1

A D7000 may or may not be the best answer. Certainly a low price can significantly influence a decision however. The D7000 was a controversial camera, and I would suggest doing thorough research before purchasing. There were several issues noted by many users in the field. Some felt it was released by Nikon before it was ready for public use. The 7100 and later models addressed all issues. I have experience with the D7000 (progressed from d70-d80-d90-d7000-d7100). As I moved along the development path, each generation represented an improvement; until the d7000. It was the only Nikon digital body where I felt I was fighting the camera to capture acceptable images. The d90 was a dream to use, and moving up to the d7100 was like using a d90 only better. In my experience, the d7000 was the odd man out. FYI- I stopped upgrading after I purchased a D7100.