Nikon D7000 or 300s?

tiffany_davis1

<p>I am doing a dual internship with my local newspaper, and news station; and I also shoot for my school paper. My bosses recently discovered what I've been shooting with, and they have offered to purchase me a new camera. I've been shooting local news with a Nikon D3000, using the included kit lens and on occasion my 55-200mm non-VR lens. I'm not sure whether I should feel embarrassed, or proud. I've been doing this internship for two years (started with using a Nikon F2, been shooting with the D3000 since it was released) - and I've received nothing but compliments on my work, and most of it has been used. Anyway, I've been eyeing the D7000 and the 300s. I really don't care about the video mode. When I graduate next year, I've already been offered a full-time position, one of the bonuses is that I'll be provided with a professional camera. So this camera doesn't have to be "the best" if you know what I mean. Just something a little better than what I've been using. Between the two I'm eyeing, which do you think would fit my needs best? If you'd suggest something else, please let me know. </p>

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I have both of those cameras and either will work fantastic. I think the D7000 does a few things better, like the high ISO performance and I could swear it focuses faster. The D300s offers better weather sealing and faster FPS. They are both very good and really would not consider them ''non'' pro. <em><strong>They are as good as you will ever get in APS-C</strong></em></p>

<p>I don't think the D300/D300S' weather sealing is any better than the D7000's.</p>

<p>We already have a number of threads on the D300S vs. D7000. The D300S gives you slightly better AF and faster frame rate. The D7000 has much newer technology.</p>

<p>A lot of women prefer smaller cameras. The D7000 is definitely smaller. Unless you have very specific AF and frame rate requirements, e.g. you are shooting sports, or you prefer a larger camera, I would get a D7000 at this point.</p>

<p>One of my biggest issues with my D3000, is that it feels too small in my hands. I really like the feeling of a D90 in my hand, so a larger camera isn't an issue for me. In fact, I'd welcome it. <br /><br />My only requirement is that it keep up with me, and that it can handle the different environments I go into. Where I live, the weather can change in an instant, and I've been fortunate enough to travel with our storm chasers as part of my assignments. </p>

<p>I was very careful to size all the images properly. I grabbed the images of each camera from the Nikon web site, then sized each image to actual size with Canvas X for Mac (which includes the functions of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Powerpoint, CAD/Drafting and Web). I them hand outlined each camera so I could compare sizes like you see.</p>

<p>According to the Nikon web site, the D7000 is 5.2"w x 4.1"h x 3.0"d, the D300s is 5.8"w 4.5"h 2.9"d, the D3000 is 5.0"w x 3.8"h x 2.5"d. I use D70s bodies, which are slightly bigger than the D7000 and when I hold a D300s, I definitely feel the difference. I would not want anything smaller than my D70s, but the D7000 ISO sure is alluring.</p>

<p>The D90 and D7000 are very similar in size; the D7000 is a little taller.</p>

<p>If Tiffany likes the feel of the D90 in her hands, the D7000 should feel similar and the controls are also similar. But the D7000 has a metal chessis and better weather sealing; therefore the D7000 is heavier than the D90. In turn, the D300/D300S is a bigger camera and therefore heavier than the D7000.</p>

<p>I have both the D7000 and D300 (essentially identical to the D300S). I once borrowed a D90 and took some pictures of them side by side.</p><div>00Xslb-312887784.jpg.87a7bc90d605db9c9f1b76866aeb5c5a.jpg</div>

<p>i was very excited to get my very first fondle of the d7000 yesterday. I only just bought the d300s after having a minor brain frizzle, trying to make up my mind between the two. I previously had the d200. i by no means have big hands, and my initial thoughts were that the d7000 didn't quite fit as snugly in my hand. the second thing I noticed was with a much lighter body, the balance of weight is much more to the lens, and that was with quite a small lens. The thing is, sometimes you get used to what you use but it's only when you use it for extended periods you get to work out what really is better or worse for you, personally. I want both.</p>

<p>one thing to keep in mind is that the d400 will almost certainly have the same battery/sensor as the d7000. so if your pro camera ends up being d400, you will be able to share batteries and possibly SD cards (assuming D400 keeps CF/SD dual slots).</p>

<p>as a D300s owner, i will go so far to say that unless you shoot sports/action and know you need a bigger body, more durable build (full-mag-alloy as opposed to chassis) faster FPS and slightly better AF (though not better metering), you will probably be better off with the d7000. for PJ use, the d7000 has better video, and the extra half-stop of high-ISO is nice, too.</p>

<p>the d300s is already an 'old' camera, though it still holds its own and updates the d300. it will be even older next year. the one gotcha on the d7000 is the buttons are a little cramped, but if you're coming from a d3000, it'll feel relatively expansive--at least until the d400/800 come out...</p>

<p>I really wish that there was a place locally that sold Nikons. I mean, I do have a Best Buy locally, but they don't display these two models, though they carry them. I'd really like to hold them both, and get a feel for them. <br />I rarely go with the sports guys, if I do, it's to capture the aftermath and mayhem. <br />Most of my work has been covering bad weather (blizzards, ice storms, tornados), aftermath of tornados, car accidents, press conferences, candids, etc.<br />I'm leaning towards the D300s, but the frugal part of me says to go with the D7000. Cheaper, newer technology. Even though I'm not paying for it, I'd like to have extra from my given budget to save for some good glass. <br /><br /><br /> <br /><br /></p>

<p>I just finished shooting a philharmonic concert this evening in a church here in Los Angeles with my two D70s bodies. As so often happens, I kept accidentally pushing the preset dial off of A mode and lost a couple of shots each time. The fact that the D300s does not have a preset dial, and it has other dedicated buttons and all the other differences, makes me lean to it rather than the D7000. Actually, I think it's best for me to wait for the replacement (D400?) instead.</p>

<p>With budget being a consideration, look for a factory refurb D300s, at Adorama I thinks it's $1270 with a factory 90 day warranty.</p>

<p>If you wear glases and if you are using AF-ON button for activating autofocus beware! D7000 does not have AF-ON button. You can use AE-L/AF-L button instead but it is positioned more to the left, near the eye piece. I wear glases and my thumb touches glases whenever I try to activate autofocus on D7000. Try the camera before you buy it.<br>

Regards, Marko</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Most of my work has been covering bad weather (blizzards, ice storms, tornados), aftermath of tornados, car accidents, press conferences, candids, etc.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>For those subjects, there is little differences between the construction of the two cameras to worry about. The D7000's construction quality is similar to that on the D300/D300S and D700, i.e. very good but not quite as strong as the D2, D3 level. I unintentionally got to test that last month. I was shooting birds outside with my 500mm/f4 and it suddenly started raining. I protected my lens and the D7000 got fairly wet. I got back to the car and wiped the raindrops off; everything was fine.</p>

<p>The D7000 has the bonus of having a very quiet shutter. When I first I got mine, I was wondering whehter the shutter had fired; I got used to that after a day or two. That may be handy at press conferences.</p>

<p>If your local Best Buy does not have them around, I would imagine that there must be some D300 and D7000 around at your newspaper or college. (Not sure students have them, when I was in college, I had a Nikon FE.) If you have a strong preference about camera size, you should hold them yourself. If you can find some D200, D90, or D80, that may be good enough too. The D300/D300S is very similar in size as the D200. And the D7000 is just a tiny bit taller than the D80/D90.</p>

<p>Anand, That is one of the things many are wondering right now. I got lucky when I got mine, because some one who pre ordered one, changed his mind and I was lucky that Samy's in Pasadena had one. If you do find them, they will likely be in kit form as was mine. On craigs list they are selling for quite a bit more than what I paid for mine by various scalpers...''errrr'' I did not need the kit lens, but if I wanted the camera, that was part of the deal.</p>

<p>I also noticed that new D300S are selling for less at B&H than what people are asking ON cRAIGS list. </p>

<p>For what it is worth, learning the D300 controls will make you more familiar with the D3? later on. I would go with the D300 for weather sealing and overall durability. It is heavier which will help balance the camera when you strap big glass on it. </p>

<p>I use one for PJ work along with some other cameras and I love it. </p>

<p>Yes, the D300s <em>really is that much bigger...</em>and I prefer it that way. One of the reasons I will not be purchasing the D7000 is it's size and the very narrow grip. The D7000 performs beautifully, focuses extremely fast, (in 3D mode, I think it's faster than the D300s, but there are fewer focus points to choose from), and is newer technology.</p>

<p>If I were in your situation here's how I would weigh it:</p>

<p>This camera is going to be used for the remainder of your internship and then you get a PRO model. Therefore there are two ways I would look at this.</p>

<p>#1 Depending on the model they give you when you are a full-time employee, it may be in your best interest to start lugging a heavier camera now so that the camera you get won't feel like a ton of bricks. </p>

<p>#2 Alternatively, if you get to keep the camera you're getting now, you may want a comfortable camera that you can use when you're not on the job. In this case I'd go to a local camera shop or big box store that carries both (good luck with finding a D300s in a big box store) so you can play with them and figure out which one you would purchase if it were your money being spent.</p>

<p>This is how I would make my decision. I've already mentioned that I don't like the D7000 because of it's size...in particular the narrow grip...but it's you making the decision, not me.</p>

<p>RS</p>