Nikon D7000 - Books

r._bond

<p>My new D7000 will arrive tomorrow and now I am looking for a book to accompany the manual. I had the "Mastering the D90" by Darrell Young and thought it was very helpful, and he has one for the D7000. Just wanted to know if anyone has purchased a book about this camera and if you recommend it or others. thank you!</p>

<p>If you are already familiar with the D90, I would suggest not to buy another book for now because that will likely be very similar to the D90 version with some control changes for the D7000. Use the D7000 for a little while and see whether you indeed need another book or not.</p>

<p>In these days when I pick up a brand new Nikon DSLR, I don't even bother to read the manual any more. For the D7000 I had to check the manual 2, 3 times for video capture and how to control AF-S/AF-C, but for the most part I was able to figure out pretty much everything.</p>

<p>I never have used an aftermarket book to operate a camera. The manual has all the information I need. I download and read the manual before I buy a camera. I always read my car's owner's manual too. If I didn't read the manual, I might miss a feature that'd make shooting more convenient or even possible. Sometimes it stimulates my mind with ways to shoot something different, or something familiar in a different way. It opens doors for me.</p>

<p>With the D7000, most of the user manual was very familiar. Some things weren't - like Shun said, controlling AF-S/AF-C and AF sensor area selection; the location of the exposure bracketing function, setting the ISO to display on the top panel while shooting, 'quiet mode', programming user shooting banks for the mode dial, setting up the dual memory cards (backup [mirror] or overflow [cascade]) and a couple of other minor things.</p>

<p>Haven't got one for the D7000 yet, but in the past I've carried a Photobert Cheat Sheet in my bag, just in case I forget how to control a camera function I might use only rarely.</p>

<p>I like books.There are important differences between the D7000 and the D90, particularly in areas that are not straightforward. Fine-tuning autofocus for individual lenses is available on the D7000 and higher level Nikon bodies, not on the D90. The manual does a terrible job of describing that. I picked up the <em>Nikon D7000 Digital Field Guide</em>, by J. Dennis Thomas. I don't recommend it. If Thom Hogan (just search for his site) stops pontificating long enough to finish his guide to the D7000, I am sure it will be a good one.</p>

<p>With a new camera, I like to go through the manual page by page and use every option. I don't do it in one sitting and I don't remember everything, but I am aware of what the camera operations are and where. If more people would do this exercise it would eliminate many of the redundant questions posted here.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. I'll wait to buy a book for now. Going on a trip this weekend, so the plane ride will give me a good opportunity to go over the manual.<br>

Leslie - you are probably missing some wonderful camera features you will never know about - and some good shots.</p>

• 2 weeks later...