Nikon D7000 backfocus problem

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by michaelmiller, Dec 4, 2010.

1. I know there are some other threads in the internet about it, but I just want to mention it here too. I returned my first D7000 body because of a severe back focus problem that could not be corrected with the in camera AF-fine-tuning. The camera back focused with a new AF-S 50mm f/1.4G and also with a little older AF 85mm f/1.8D lens. The second body I got from a different store, has exactly the same back focus problem. It can't be corrected with the in camera AF-fine-tuning. For example, using a new AF 50mm f/1.4D with a setting of -20 there still was some back focusing. Very disappointing for such an expensive and new camera if you ask me. I sent the camera to a Nikon Service Point for repair and I am awaiting the results. I am just curious if there are other photo.net users that experienced the same problems with their D7000 camera.

2. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

I have not experienced any problems with my D7000; including no back focus issues, but I only have experience with exactly one sample.
    I also should point out that I am very picky about AF accuracy so that I tend to use 1 of the center 9 cross-type AF points in most situations. I have experienced AF issues with the outside, line-type AF points. But having AF issues with line-type AF points is a common problem on all (Nikon) SLRs, including the D3 family.

3. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

I should point out that focusing issues could be due to lenses. If you are sending your D7000 in for check ups concerning focusing problems, you probably should also send the lens(es) in question. If you don't, Nikon repair might not be able to reproduce the problem with their lenses and your problem won't be fixed.
    Incidentally, since the OP was able to find two D7000 bodies from two different camera stores, it looks like the D7000 shortage even in these early days is not that serious.

4. I am also very picky about the autofocus of my camera. I hate shooting batteries, charts and brick walls, but it just has to be reliable (especially with larger apertures like f/2.0), since I don’t like to use manual focus. I try not to use the line type sensors but only the cross type ones and preferably the one in the center. I sent my camera with my AF 50mm f/1.4D lens to Nikon, so they can reproduce the problem. It should arrive at the beginning of next week and hopefully I’ll have my camera back at the end of the week. Of all the shots I made, it had 100% back focus. So, no shots with the right focus plane. In the viewfinder everything looked okay. I even saw the very small ‘dancing’ lines on the ground glass in the right place when focusing. There seems to be a D7000 shortage now, since the camera store had none in stock for me to swap. I had to send it to Nikon for repair. I’ll let you know what the outcome is.

5. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

I sent my camera with my AF 50mm f/1.4D lens to Nikon, so they can reproduce the problem.​
    That is perfect. Good luck.

6. Haven't seen these problems with my D7000 and 85mm f/1.4G either.

7. It would be helpful if OP can tell us what are his AF settings. These cameras' AF settings are complex and confusing. An AF discussion without spelling out the settings can be misleading.

8. I use a single center focus point with single auto focus. Apart from the auto focus (what’s in a name) nothing automatic. I don’t find auto focus settings very complex, but I understand that it could be a little intimidating for a first time SLR user. I hope this information is useful.

9. Wow, those guys at the Nikon Service point are fast as lightning! They received my camera and lens this morning and only a couple of hours later I got an e-mail telling me they fixed it and shipped it back. Really kind of them to speed up the procedure because I need the camera at the end of this week. I hope to receive it tomorrow (or the day after tomorrow) and of course I’ll let you know if the back focus problem is solved.

10. I am on the 4th D7000, all have had back focus issues, a friend has a good one, we exchanaged lenses for a shoot, mine had the focus issue, his were good, have sent my lens and # 4 back for adjustments, hoping for the best !!

11. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Denis, did Nikon fix your D7000 problem?

12. Hm, it looks like there are some bad focusing D7000’s here and there. Mine is back from Nikon Service and it seems to focus okay now, not perfectly though. That’s with the AF fine tuning turned off, so there is some room for adjustment. And now, I just want to use this fine camera. If the problem persists, I’ll send it in for repair again. I must say the service was very fast. However, I was slightly disappointed about the way they discarded my carefully selected boxes, foam and bubble wrap and shipped everything packed together in a very small box. The camera and lens rubbed against each other and the papers now look like they came from a garbage can.

13. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

When it takes like no time to fix something, I get a little worried. I know that they can map out hot pixels in a few minutes, but fixing back focusing may take a bit longer.
    And I would suggest writing to Nikon about the poor return packaging.

14. Nowadays everything is mostly electronic. Just like a car, I think they just hook up the camera to a special computer system and adjust it almost automatically. They still had several hours to fix it, so I wouldn’t call that ‘no time’. I don’t really care how long it takes, I just want it fixed properly. I thanked Nikon for the quick service but I also told them about the somewhat disappointing packaging.

15. Hi
    Glad it's not just me!
    I bought a D7000 last month and struggle to get a sharp picture from it, I took it to a Nikon NPS clinic and they made me feel like a complete idiot as if I was imaging it........there answer to leave the VR on!!!
    Although I am using it as a back up to my D3, maybe I am expecting to much, but a sharp pic is a must.

16. That’s a strange advise they gave you Sandy. Unless they checked the camera thoroughly and found no problems. Since you have a D3, I can imagine that the D7000 is a rather small and light camera for you. It does take some extra effort to keep it steady I think, but not getting anything sharp out if it strikes me as very odd. Even I get a sharp picture every now and then ;-). And that’s without VR. Do you perhaps have some examples for us readers? Please include some information about the lens, shutter speed, diaphragm, flash and tripod. Also, I would contact Nikon again. Something must be wrong. Maybe they can demonstrate to you that it does work fine?

17. Yes re the VR suggestion think it was more "I am new here at Nikon and don't' really have a clue what I am Talking about"
    Have now sent it back to where I bought it with some sample pix, got back to me the next day saying they will put another one in the post, so great service and hopefully the new one will be fine.
    The D7000 is a bit light coming from the D3 but is is for backup and video, and for when your out and about and not on a job it should be perfect.
    D3
    Date: 15/11/10Time: 15:16:51Model: NIKON D3Serial #: Software: Adobe Photoshop CS MacintoshFrame #: Lens (mm): 62ISO: 640Aperture: 4.0Shutter: 1/60Exp. Comp.: 0.0Flash Comp.: Program: ManualFocus Mode: White Bal.: Contrast: Sharpening: Quality:
    d7000
    Date: 15/11/10Time: 15:12:45Model: NIKON D7000Serial #: Software: Adobe Photoshop CS MacintoshFrame #: 2082Lens (mm): 95ISO: 640Aperture: 4.0Shutter: 1/160Exp. Comp.: 0.0Flash Comp.: Program: ManualFocus Mode: White Bal.: Contrast: Sharpening: Quality:
    00XrkX-311909584.jpg

18. I bought my D7000 body from Amazon. I also found back focus issue. In stead of sending it to Nikon, I returned it back to Amazon. Nikon had given me at least 3 weeks turn around time.

19. Hi. I've just received my d7000 three days ago (Amazon). I took some pics but because of computer issues I haven't had a chance to check this potential focus problem. Actually, what is a "back focus issue"? What should I be looking for when I process my pics? Does it simply means out of focus?
    Thanks,
    Max

20. I would also like some suggestions on exact way to find out if the D7000 has a back focusing issue. Mine is expected to arrive by the end of this week.

21. I have had my D7000 since thanksgiving - I have not had back focusing problems, my whole image is not in focus. I've used 4 different lenses all with the same results. I also got the camera from Best Buy with the 18-105 kit. Can someone tell me if it is something I'm doing wrong or is it the camera? I upgraded from the D80 because I was having the same problem with it after 4 years of GREAT pictures. - thanks!

22. Cure your back focusing problems-use the fine tune adjustment (page 246 on my uk manual) .I`ve had to adjust 4 of my nikon lenses using the above you can set the D7000 to adjust for up to 12. Funny but my 2 sigma lenses did`nt require fine tuning!,If the fine tune does not fix the problem I will be surprised so have a go before you send back to Nikon this is a fantastic camera, get to know it,all the best to you all ,happy snapping.

23. Similar problems with poor autofocus on all my lenses (Nikkor and other) with my new D7000 - I have not had a sharp shot. I have had no trouble with my D300 when using these lenses. It seems a large number (mine included) of D7000's were sent-out with this problem. Not what you expect from Nikon for the amount of money they charge! A $100 compact can produce a sharper image!
    I am now going to have to spend a deal of my precious time correcting each lens - I would not recommend anyone buying this camera until this issue has been corrected; and don't trust what sales may say to you.....

24. I had purchased mine D7000 body from Amazon. That camera had focus issues. I returned that body to Amazon and then ordered another one. This new one is really sharp. No focusing issue. I know that people have sent their defective D7000 bodies to Nikon and Nikon has fixed these.
    With new body, I did not have to make any adjustments for my lenses.

25. I just purchased a new D7000 (with the kit lens and also with an 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 lens) and heard about this problem with back focus from a photog friend who also had the same issue. Our cameras were both purchased from Best Buy.
    What's the best way to determine if this is truly a defect, or if it something that needs to be calibrated by Nikon? Are there other more difinitive tests than focusing on a ruler?
    I'm very upset about this as I have been saving for this camera for some time now and now this happens. I expected a better product out of the box.

26. you know what, guys. the bottom line is that the d7000 sucks. i've used a d700 for years and wasn't too crazy about my d300 backup, so, as usual, i made a knee-jerk reaction and instead of holding off for a d3s, i got a d7000. sometimes the images are sharp, sometimes they aren't. this is totally unacceptable and as we all know, NPS is lame and i don't think i should have to spend copious amounts of time shooting charts and screwing around with repair shops. i finally got my d3s a few months ago and couldn't be happier. i'd be happy to sell this freakin' d7000 for half of what i paid for it just to get it out of my life...sorry for the rant...rob o.

27. I have to tell you i feel THE same about THE Nikon d7000.. First i was doubting myself, but now i know its THE
    camera. I work as à photographer on THE Beach and had no change in getting it repared or even looked at cause i
    needed it everyday. It ment à lot more shots à lot of great moments missed and à lot more work THE NeXT day and à
    lot of frustration. I tell you I start to hate my job and THE camera for sure. Cant believe i dumped my Nikon d90 for
    this. Maybe i dump everything and buy à new set from Canon and That after using Nikon for THE last 14 years.

28. I can't believe how accusing the people on some other forums are. The people that are trying to explain a genuine issue are simply told that they don't know what they are doing.
    Here is a quick example from my 70-300. Focus spot on word family (30 cm on the ruler) (checked in view NX) AF area single, AF-S mode (not continuous) This was with -20 dialed in already( and it needs much more but already at the limit.) This is the 3rd D7000 I am having the problem on and it exists on almost all my lenses (it isn't so apparent with the kit lenses because the depth of field is larger) The problem is easy to see on my 300mm 2.8 and 800mm 5.6 with super narrow depth of fields.

00Za0H-413919584.jpg

29. I sent my D7000 into Nikon and got it back (about 10 days turnaround.) They were really helpful, replaced the liveview and AE lock buttons that got smashed when my tripod was blown over and adjusted the focus (significantly better now) cleaned the sensor, etc. Really happy with the service since it was just out of warranty but they still covered it.

30. I'm on my 4th D7000 body in about 6 weeks. This came with the NIKKOR 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 G VR2 lens in a kit from C0stc0. With the first 3 body's, I had been able to AF fine tune in ranges of -8 to -14 with the kit lens, but with my NIKKOR 50mm 1.4 AF (first generation) they AF was off the chart (couldn't focus even with AF fine tune)
    On the 4th body things are a little better as the kit lens produced sharp focus at AF fine tune value of -3, and -5 for the 50mm.
    I was willing to accept that since I really like the features on this camera.
    However I just got a NIKKOR 50mm 1.4G which I tested on a D60 and D300S in the store before purchase and it was super sharp without any adjustments. I brought it home to my D7000 and what do you know? It takes an AF fine-tune adjustment to -18 to get clear shots.
    Unfortunately this body is also going back to the retailer. I may wait until Nikon wraps up their flooding problems and starts shipping again in a few weeks. Hopefully the above was just a bad run as they were from two regional stores near each-other and I'll guess from the same "lot".

31. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Hopefully the above was just a bad run​
    Dan, I can't image that is a bad run. My D7000 is my 6th Nikon DSLR (all purchased at retail) and I have tested several more test samples directly from Nikon. None has any back focus issue among the 10+ AF lenses I use regularly.
    For your type of problems, I would suggest sending the D7000 body as well as all the lenses that have AF issues together back to Nikon for adjustment. Those lenses will have to be tuned for your camera. Otherwise, I can see that you will go through another dozen D7000 bodies and still have this same problem. You can certainly run into 1 or 2 D7000 with some defect, but when you reach your 3rd or 4th one, the chance is that it is beyond the camera.
    I bought my D7000 very early (I pre-ordered) and it has been perfect after a year. A close friend bought one in early October just days before the flood shut down Nikon Thailand's factory. Those are the two D7000 samples I have the most experience with, and both are perfect.

32. For your type of problems, I would suggest sending the D7000 body as well as all the lenses that have AF issues together back to Nikon for adjustment. Those lenses will have to be tuned for your camera.​
    That would me in a situation where I could not borrow or rent any lenses, since everything would need fine-tune. Imagine being in the field, getting a lens to shoot with from a friend and having to wait 20 minutes while I make-shift an AF test environment.
    Its not a mild problem or an inconvenience that one can just fix in photoshop either. In my experience so far, any lens that needs to be adjusted by 5+/- via AF fine-tune produces pictures that are just not usable. For example: a lens needing adjustment to a value of -18 is blurred so badly that one couldn't read a photo of font size 14 text printed on 8x11 paper shot 4 feet away at 50mm F5.6 RAW. I could deal with older lenses that needed fine tuning, or even a few newer, but not everything I mount...
    I've tested the previous 3 body's against about 5 lenses (with tripod, proper lighting, VR off) of varying types and they are all heavily back-focused, meanwhile this was not seen on other non-d7000 body's with the same lenses. As a supporting remark about the "bad run", the store(s) I returned to were not surprised to see me, as they had collected a series of D7000's in the "return to MFR" pile. That said, when calling Nikon's tech support, they also confirmed I was not imagining the problem and suggested either RMA for repair or return to retailer... Why has this not been addressed to this point is beyond me.

33. Dan,
    I'm surprised that you're seeing the backfocus problem on the 18-200. The depth of field isn't that small on that lens. I had exactly the same problem (really only noticeable but really noticeable on glass with shallow DOF.) I sent my body to Nikon and they really tuned it well to where I have no complaint anymore. Perhaps Nikon isn't expecting the people shooting the prosumer version cameras to really have the more expensive glass (like 400mm f/2.8) where any problem with focus is going to be really apparent. The people shooting with kit lenses don't have the problem. The D7000 is an awesome product, just send one into Nikon, get it tuned up and be happy. Buying and returning until you get one you're happy with doesn't seem to do the trick.

34. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

That would me in a situation where I could not borrow or rent any lenses, since everything would need fine-tune.​
    Why? If Nikon repair service has an opportunity to fine tune your existing D7000 to within specs and also caliberate your existing lenses, shouldn't that particular D7000 be even better than another random new D7000 from the supply?

35. So the general consensus is that the D7000's I've had were all miss-calibrated, but clearly it cannot be a bad run, so its normal for the D7000 to have back-focus problems (even with supplied kit lens), and in order to get a functional camera I need to RMA it??? seriously? :)

36. I'm having the same issue with my D7000. I've had it for a few months now and there came a point where I just couldn't take it anymore.... especially after I got my Nikkor 50mm 1.4G lens. The shallow DOF made it quite clear to me that there was a problem. I sent it in to be repaired in a Nikon-approved facility nearby. When they received it, they said "it was weird, the AF sensor was out of place". They adjusted the pitch and yaw, tested the single focus points and returned it back to me. Before I sent the camera in I had to have it tuned to -18 or -20 to get a somewhat accurate focus. After they returned it to me I didn't have to have it tuned to -20, but after having done some tests, the single AF points are still off on many occasions.
    I tried fine-tuning it yet again, but while the lens would SOMETIMES focus correctly, many times it also missed the focus point completely. It is still very inconsistent and drives me absolutely crazy. At first I thought maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've had other Nikon bodies, (still have a second body in my possession) and I DO NOT have these focusing issues with any of my lenses on the spare body. They focus perfectly fine and exactly where I want them to.
    I feel like my D7000 is a dud. I've been going over my photos from before I got the D7000 and was surprised how much sharper they all were than the results I'm getting with the D7000. Here I thought I was upgrading, yet most of my pictures (the sharpness) don't really convince me of that. It bothers me most when I shoot portraits, because I will focus on the face/eyes, and what I get in focus instead is the hair in the middle of their heads, or something that is in front of the subject even though the focus point is clearly on the face/eyes. I remember shooting a live show once and coming home only to realize that 80% of the photos had the musicians' faces out of focus. What I had in focus instead were their instruments, or the wall behind them. I got better/sharper night shots with the same lens with my D40! I checked.
    To conclude this rant, I contacted Nikon and am waiting to hear back from them. I'm hoping that either they actually FIX/replace parts on my D7000, or send me a replacement that WORKS. I'm done with "Tuning". It's depressing when I can't trust my camera. Like someone else mentioned, it makes me dislike the act of picture-taking when usually I enjoy it so much. I hope Nikon does right by me and every other person who has had to go through this. I've been a Nikon fan for many years and I don't want that to change.

37. Nobody has discussed different types of lighting.
    What about INCANDESCENT light? Whenever I turn my D7000s on to objects that are lit by a low color temperature light, e.g. incandescent or indoor-balanced compact florescent, they consistently backfocus. The workaround is about a -12 adjustment in the focus adjustment. The problem is most noticeable at the wideangle end of standard-range zooms. Turning the camera on an object lit by daylight-balanced or cloudy or sunlight or even a TV screen (which is 6500K, therefore comparable to cloudy light) solves the problem. With LiveView, there is no problem no matter what the light.
    These focusing problems have been around for some time on Nikon and are particularly pronounced on the D7000. I have to go back to my F100 to get reliable focus under all lighting conditions. I'm told the D3 series is also good but from what I've seen all other current Nikons have the problem to varying extents, with the D7000 having it the worst.

38. Mine back/front-focuses no matter what the light conditions are. Of course when there are difficult light conditions the problem is more pronounced, because I'm shooting wide open with a shallow DOF. I've looked at a few of my landscape shots and noticed that the focus was on some tree in the foreground when I was aiming it at something located further behind that tree. It was more pronounced when I was at f/2.8 or wider.
    I've also noticed that live-view is more accurate even when wide-open. Problem is I don't want to shoot everything in live-view to work around the problem, I want it to work both ways accurately. I've had none of these problems with my other bodies. My D40, which I still own, is quite accurate no matter what the light conditions are. As long as one of the focus points are touching the subject and the light conditions/ISO allow for a higher shutter speed, I can be sure they'll be in focus.

39. Hi all,
    I did a very simple test, I lined up 5 smalls boxs next to eache other, and each is further away from the previous by 1 inche. Then I shot 5 pictures with the 5 sensors from left to right (configured 11 sensor, not 39) Af-s
    The result is that the box on the sensor is not in focus but the one next to it on the right side and 1 inch further away is in focus, and the process reapeat itselef for every sensor. It is alwas the next box that is in focus.
    My D7000 is going back to the shop !

40. Update
    After many hours searching and testing, I came to this conclusion.
    D7000 purchase on dec 10 2011. with 10-22 AF-S 3.5 4.5 no back focus problem, soft images.
    85 1.8D Back focus, but with -20 focus adjustment, it did the trick, but images stil very soft.
    Default sharpening in picture controls are set very low, so after setting sharpeness to 6 and contrast to 1 in all the picture controls, and testing about 100 test pictures, I now have a camera with image quality that I have never seen before. Color are superbe, incredible details.
    I will take it out this morning for some real life testing and will post picture.

41. Another update
    Unfortunatly, the problem of softness and focusing came back after just a couple of shot outside this morning. The D7000 I have can not be trusted. 6 to 7 bad picture out of 10 :-(
    I want to cry !
    D7000 Back to the shop this afternoon, the technicien basicly told me that the problem was behind the camera Lol ! It is very strange that nobody involved in marketing and selling of the D7000 will not aknowledge the problem. The tech did not even look at my samples images and told me that he will be testing the camera himself... Did not give him a chance to perform his test, I got out of there with a brand new D300S and let me tell you that sharpness and focus are dead on, no fine tuning, no long session of testing, no problem anymore. Now let's go out and shoot something ! :)
    Live and learn, Stay away from new model until prouved to be reliable. That's what I learned today

42. I come from Poland. AF problems with D7000 are very common. The most popular nikon forum is nikoniarze.pl, where D7000 focus problem thread has 476 pages !!
    AF is very random in this camera. Probably the cause is faulty mirror lifting mechanism. Nikon doesn't want to plead, but service replaces mirror mechanism.
    Sorry for my poor english.

43. There is a photographer, who tested seven d7000 cameras and none of them was perfect. Problem is very clear when shooting with narrow depth of field - large aperture lenses. Often, the camera is working very well for some time and suddenly begins to focus randomly (backfocus), especially at long distances.

44. I'm also having the same focus issue with my D7000. Soo frustrating. I've finally returned it back for repairs. Lets see
    what Nikon come back with! I'm hoping they cant repair it, so that I may purchase a D300s.

http://www.kashifmanan.co.uk

45. If you request to swap for a body from D7000 + 18-105mm VR DX kit, there could be no problem with 'back focusing' or 'focus run' in Cantonese. I have read complaints in Cantonese from Hong Kong.
    Please let me know if you could get a body from the kit (D7000+18-105mm lens), then use the lenses that have caused the 'back focus' problem with your other D7000 bodies. Thank you.

46. I also met the same problem. My len is the 18-135 one in D7000 kit. I just but it in Jan 2 this year. The image quality is so worse that my Canon S1 IS bought in 2005 is better in focus accuracy. I can't read the text on the picture of magzine shot by my D7000 from 2 meters away(18mm focal length, indoor, 1/100, iso 800). I'm very very disapointed!

47. I have read from other forums that the NIKON technicians are telling people to do a hard reset by pressing the two buttons marked with a green dot simultaneously and it works for some and not the others. I tried it and it did not fix it the first few times I tried it. I was thinking if this issue is all related then it should work on mine too. I tried different cobination and finaly was able to fix the back focus issue... Here is what I did.
    1. go to menu and reset everything to default settings.
    2 turn off the camera
    3 hold down the two buttons marked with a green dot simultaneously while the camera is off.
    4 while holding it down reach out with whatever finger you have left and turn the camera on.
    5 after 2 seconds you will see the display blink then turn it off while still holding the two green buttons down....
    Done... try it. It worked for me. Now my focus is spot on!!!! let me know if this worked for you.

48. What "other forums" are you referring to?

49. Jeff - did you ever send your camera for repairs ? And did you ever upgrade the firmware on camera ?
    I am inclined to try what you suggested as I am getting frustrated by only one thing - lack of dependable focusing with D7000. I have tried different things but continue to still make D90 my dependable goto camera.. how ironic !

50. @jeff: after you did the reset of your custom setup, were you able to then readjust your settings to your liking without losing the improved focusing ability?

51. This may be one of the "other forums" Jeff referred to:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/d7000-club/discuss/72157626259996570/
    Note that some reported the reset worked for them, but not everyone.

52. ...I'm having this same issue with my D7000 and 17-55mm. Seems to work ok with a -20 correction, but that makes me concerned, lest something change and I need more adjusment. Also, I'm concerned about the longevity of a marginal component that might fail. If it's an electronic issue, this is possible. If mechanical, it's even more likely.
    I plan to send it in, and I'll report back here with results.

53. I purchased my d7000 right before Christmas, used it on several occasions and found that I was really having trouble getting a sharp image. Further testing showed that it was focusing just behind where it should be on all of my images. I shot some test chart pictures and sent them to Nikon. Their online, written response was :
    "We have evaluated the images that you sent us, and base on the settings that you were using, the images should have come out better. There is certainly a back focus issue. The best option would be to let us evaluate your camera. "
    It had been more than 30 days since purchase. I wish I would have acted sooner and just returned to Amazon and bought a new one. Would have been a piece of cake return.
    I ended up calling Nikon to discuss, and explained to them that I do not want them to "fix" my camera, but that it should be replaced because I was sold a defective camera. I also mentioned that I should not have to pay for shipping to get an exchange for a defective camera. They would not budge on the shipping charge, and said that they will probably repair the camera instead of replacing it. Needless to say, I am pissed.
    I sent the camera in, saw that it was received on Friday by Nikon. It is now Monday and they have not logged receipt of it yet.
    I spoke to a customer service rep, and then asked to talk to a supervisor. Both were ineffective and kept citing policy and their canned responses. When I asked to have my issue taken care of by the supervisor's supervisor, they said "We can have her check into it, but she doesn't deal with problems like this."
    I was surprised that the tech reviewing my test photos actually admitted an obvious back-focus problem at all... and especially in writing. It's extremely upsetting that, though they acknowledge the problem, they won't just replace the camera (and cover shipping) like a normal company would do (well, a normal company that wants make their customers happy.)
    Grrrrr. Will let you know what ends up happening with it...
    00aA4s-451423684.jpg

54. I would much rather have a D7000 tuned by Nikon's service department than a new random off the shelf D7000. They will make extra sure that the one sent in for repair is focusing correctly and not just "within specs." If their turn around time is unacceptable you could always just go buy a replacement and then return it when your D7000 comes back. Wait a few days and I think you'll be happy with Nikon's response / repair.

55. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Jeff P., I think your request is quite demanding. If you want an exchange, you should have done so in the first few days when you received your camera. Now after over a month, it is up to Nikon to decide whether they want to repair or replace.
    I bought my D7000 in November, 2010, almost as soon as it was available. Until recently I had no AF issue with any one of over 10 lenses I have tried on it. However, a couple of weeks ago I received a 85mm/f1.8 AF-S test sample from Nikon, and that particular lens has an obvious back focus issue, especially at f1.8 and f2.8. From f4 and down, perhaps the depth of field masks the issue.
    That same 85mm/f1.8 works prefectly fine on my D700, and over the weekend I also checked that lens on my D300. AF is perfect on those other bodies. So I thought maybe I have damaged my D7000. I tested my 50mm/f1.4 AF-S wide open @ 1.4 on the D7000 and AF is very accurate, so is my 24-120mm/f4 AF-S VR.
    Therefore, the issue is only on that particular coupling of my D7000 and that 85mm/f1.8 AF-S. Eventually I tested a bunch of AF fine tune at if I set it to -8, it is back to normal again.
    I think you are much better off having Nikon tune your D7000. The odds is that it will be better than another random D7000 from the factory.

56. I tested my camera some more after posting here and found that my D7000 was doing very strange things when adjusted via the AF fine tune. Positive and negative settings were giving similar results! Both positive and negative settings were improvements over a correction of 0. I'd call that broken.
    I sent the camera off and got it back last week from Nikon USA's repair department. Focus is MUCH improved! All around focus is more reliable, and although my lenses still need fine tune adjustments to perform optimally, at least there are now settings that work!
    (as an aside, Nikon USA repair were confused and messy as usual, but I did get out of paying shipping by reminding them that they had taken 10 months to repair my D700)
    However, I think I may have uncovered a different but related issue. It appears that my sensor itself may be slightly out of line, with the side closest to the plug panel being slightly closer to the lens mount.
    I'm debating whether to send it back or not, since it's pretty subtle, and the part where faces are in portrait orientation is tack sharp. Also, I would like to test more and make sure that this is not a lens issue.
    Also, I've always noticed that at high ISO the bottom edge of the frame is more magenta with a higher noise floor. I wonder if this has to do with whatever sensor shimming issue this camera has.
    Anyway, AF is now optimal, while sharpness still has a flaw.

57. Micah,
    You're making some really unusual claims. Can you provide some sample images? If you do in fact have a tilted sensor that could be extremely useful. You could use it like having a tilt lens (would have to tilt the body for the same effect) but that could be perfect if you're mostly shooting landscape. I've thought about trying to do that to a sensor before but was too cautious to try.

58. I'm having the same problems as everyone else and been thinking for the past year it was me.
    After dealing with this and AFFT my lenses, I finally got so frustrated I called Nikon, sent them some images and the tech. guy said the camera should not act that way and the AF was off. He said AF Fine Tune is not "normal" and certainly not for all my camera lenses (50/1.8D, 18-200VR1, 70-200vr1 [and 80-200/2.8D which I recently sold]).
    The tech guy said to include a CD of sample images from the last year (I had many out of focus images including test charts showing the back focus) and appeal to Nikon to cover the fix under warranty. I shipped it off today with my 70-200VR1. Hopefully it will be fixed.
    I did try the "reset" trick but nothing changed. Very frustrated by all this. This is my THIRD NEW Nikon product that has been shipped back to them to be fixed (D50 flash broke, 18-200VR1 stopped AF, and now D7000).
    NOTE: All those lenses focus perfectly fine on my D50, and still do. If this does not get fixed, I'm going to sell the D7000 and go back to my D50. Maybe even RMA the 70-200VR. This is my hobby and I'm spending a lot of money to go in circles. Very frustrating.

59. Therefore, the issue is only on that particular coupling of my D7000 and that 85mm/f1.8 AF-S. Eventually I tested a bunch of AF fine tune at if I set it to -8, it is back to normal again.​
    If Nikon asked you to test this lens, did you inform them about this back focus problem? Did you ask them if the need to AF fine tune this lens on your D7000 is "normal" and within spec?
    I think you are much better off having Nikon tune your D7000. The odds is that it will be better than another random D7000 from the factory.​
    Since the back focus problem reported by you (and many others) is found on specific (but different) lenses, does Nikon need to identify these lenses for them to tune the D7000s for these lenses ONLY? Another way to ask the question: Can Nikon tune a D7000 without knowing which lens is having the back focus problem, and make it work correctly for ALL lenses?

60. When I first sent my camera in, Nikon neglected to log the appropriate warranty documentation (which in my experience is SOP for them) and sent me an estimate. The estimate was for a B2 (major) level repair for $148. This sounds to me like they needed to replace a component. Browsing through parts on ebay and guessing that Nikon gets a better deal, I suspect they fully replaced the AF module (although I can't be sure).
    So I think they did replace something, not just make a simple adjustment. I suspect that many people with the back-focus issue have a defective AF module, with some performing better than others. I feel like mine may have gotten worse over time too.
    I still have some fine tuning taking place, but that doesn't surprise me. I suspect CA wide open can influence the phase detection, and the level of aberration is different on different models of lens. (although this really ought to be pre-programmed in, since Nikon have access to their own lenses to test and adjust)

61. I returned my Nikon D7000 2 months ago as it was severely suffering from backfocus problems, though the problem was
    only mainly occuring when close to the 18mm focal length. Nikon eventually said there was a problem with the sensor as
    well as the lens, which they can fix. They offered to fix it which would take a bit of time, but I asked for a refund.

Now after a couple of months I've again purchased the D7000, as it has excellent features in this price bracket. I was
    hoping that I was unlucky with the last camera. A couple of days into testing this new D7000, I am again experiencing
    similar issues with backfocus, only not as extreme as before. I've been trying the AF fine tune feature and even when I
    put it to -20 it still seems to backfocus, in fact it makes very little difference. I had a d3100 before this and it was magic for
    sharpness, especially compared to the photos i'm getting at present. I'm so confused, as naturally I'm questioning my
    technique. I've done some test with the camera on a Tripod which shows the backfocus problem using one of the test
    charts. You can see these pictures on my blog at http://www.kashifmanan.co.uk/?p=326.

Not sure what to do now as D300s is running low stock everywhere and Currys say it is end of line product. Wait for a
    new Nikon or Canon 7D maybe???

62. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Kashif, I don't understand why you don't want Nikon to fix your camera. Soemthing that is specificially adjusted by a technician should be better than some random sample from the factory. Or you can ask for another exchange. I only have experience with a few D7000 samples, but I am always luckly as whatever Nikon camera I touch is always fine.
    The D300S is clearly at the very end of its production cycle. It is 4+ year old technology and is already discontinued in Japan due to its battery not meeting current safety standards. To me, the D7000 is a superior camera; I have a D300, non S, and I don't use it any more. I assume an updated version will appear in months after the current craziness with the D4 and D800 dies down. Keep in mind that Nikon has yet to ship the D800E, so they will be busy for a little longer.

63. If you'd just had them service it at the time you'd have a perfect D7000 right now. Why not get it serviced now, so that in another two months you won't still be looking for a camera in perfect tune?
    Also, two other comments:
    Is this the same lens you were using on the last D7000? It's possible you have a misaligned lens, not a misaligned camera.
    I can't even be sure from the focus chart photo that there is a backfocus. The chart isn't even flat. And anyway it's just a chart. How does the camera work in the field? (Have you used it in the field a lot?) From the shot of the guy I can't tell where it's focused. What's the light like? I see it's a flash shot. The kit lens isn't a fast lens and it's not good at AF in lower light.

64. Testing for backfocus with a 18mm lens is like looking for the lunar rover on the moon with binoculars. You're just not going to see it. Test with something that has small depth of field. Try using a 400mm 2.8, 500mmf4 or at the very least a 70-200 2.8. You're always going to have more in focus behind the focus distance than in front of it (approximately twice) due to the physics of it.

65. Having dealt with Nikon USA's repair service for the past ten years, I completely understand the desire to avoid them if they've failed to perform a repair correctly once--sending something back to them more than once is usually a prelude to an awful and drawn out ordeal (see my personal blog for my D700 story).
    I'll do some testing to show the issues I'm now having after the repair. I posted some images in my personal blog with some images of the issues before I sent it in. I'm just blown away that AFTER an AF module replacement (I think?) that I still need a -20 correction for my 17-55 to work correctly. It's a beat old lens, but it focuses flawlessly on every other body I put it on. I do notice that the issue it much worse under warm light and florescents.
    And as an aside to @Thomas Lozinsky about testing a lens at 18mm: it depends on the lens! My 20mm 1.8 has extremely shallow DOF and focusses very closely. Close enough to test it with an 8.5x11 chart. Not that I'd rely on that alone. I just thought I'd put a hole in your 18mm being a poor choice for testing. A camera needs to be able to function with many focal lengths, and 18mm isn't even the widest you're likely to encounter with a crop sensor. It's not like AF just becomes unnecessary at wider than 18mm. Less important? Perhaps. But a camera shouldn't just completely fail to AF with wide lenses, and should certainly stand up to testing.

66. I finally was able to Fine Tuned the camera. I am using the older D and ED lenses. All three of them have different number in AF Fine Tuning. Everything seems to be fine but yesterday I have notice one out of about 40 frames has a strange focus effect. The subject was my little nephew playing with the water hose. I set my focus to Center and shutter to Single. I fixed my position on his face, focus and shoot simultaneously on every second. From this series, there are about 20 frames. There it is, one of the frame was reverse in focus. The subject was totally out of focus and the background trees are sharp. Either something went wrong or the camera has an incredible focus speed where I was just out of his face without noticing for a fraction of a second. I though it was odd. How could I have missed the face. So I'm keeping an eye on it. Other wise thing seems to be working well.

67. Just to follow up from my March 21 post. I send my D7000 and 70-200/2.8 to Nikon.
    B2 Repair was $146 (hoping AMEX will cover under extended warranty).
    Repair SC201117
    ADJ Mirror Angle
    ADJ Auto Focus Operation
    CKD Body Flange Back
    CKD Bayonet Mount
    CKD FLash Operation
    CKD Exposure
    CKD Image Test
    CLN Image Sensor
    Firmware Upgrade
    General Clean and Check
    So far the images seem better. Did the "battery test" and focus was spot on at 200mm, slightly off at 70 (but loads better then before I sent it off ). The kids played BB in the driveway and I shot 50-images with the lens and my 18-200 and they looked good (the "bad" ones were my fault or focus point was off, etc.). Hoping this solves some of the issue's I'd been having for so long.

68. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

If Nikon asked you to test this lens, did you inform them about this back focus problem? Did you ask them if the need to AF fine tune this lens on your D7000 is "normal" and within spec?​
    I sure did. My contact at Nikon actually seems a little concerned about the fine tune issue, but I told him that Nikon puts AF fine tune on the D3, D4, D300, D700, D800 and D7000 for a reason. Plenty of people fine tune their lenses on their cameras; in fact, you are expected to do so. I also said that I would mention it in the up-coming photo.net review.
    Now that I have returned the 85mm test sample back to Nikon, I just bought one from my local camera store. My own 85mm/f1.8 AF-S has perfect AF on the same D7000 I have so that now I need to cancel the AF fine tune setting on the camera. The AF fine tune is per lens type; there is only one setting for 85mm/f1.8 AF-S; therefore, the previous -8 setting would mess up my new lens.

69. Back focus is a real issue for many of us with Nikon D7000. Mine has be back for service 3 times already and is back there again. I drive the 2 hours from my home in Peterborough Ontario, Canada to Nikon service in Mississauga Ontario. The first time after conversations on the phone I sent it in because it was back focusing on all my lenses. I picked it up from service and took it home and tested it. There was no change. I talked to service on the phone again. They asked me to do more tests including AF-Fine tune, adjust sharpening to 6 instead of default 3 and with all my lenses. I did this and was unable to get it to focus accurately. It was still back focusing. Nikon Service asked me to bring it in again with sample photos and one of the lenses. I did this and picked it up when they called. Again I took it home and tested it again. It was still back focusing with all the lenses. After much discussion and many more test as suggested by them including samples sent in by me for them to review. Nikon service asled me to bring in 3 of my lenses and the camera for service. This is the 3rd time for this issue. I took all of this equipment in and met a Customer Relations Specialist whom would personally oversee this. One week later I recieved a call to say all was ready to pick up. At the counter I was told all were work properly, adjustments were made to all and I should be pleased with the results. I take the equipment home and test it. I am now completely discouraged. The best photo was back-focusing by more than 2 inches. I took the best samples and emailed them to the Specialist that was helping me. He could not believe this was still happening. I was asked to do many more tests and send the samples in. I did and the Specialist believes there is a problem with the camera and I need to bring it in again. It is now at service again, this is the 4th time for the same issue. While dropping it off I had a long conversation to try and under stand this. I was promised this problem would be solved this time.
    Do try and understand that the area that is back focused is extremely clear.
    The specialist did show me a D800 and how well it focused and suggested that perhaps this is what I and looking for. He may be right as to the camera being what I want to go with the lenses I have.
    To add to this sinking feeling I have invested over 8 thousand dollars in senses for this camera that are sitting idle. Without a camera what are they worth.
    Here's to hoping it all works out.

70. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Alan, if Nikon Canada cannot fix your D7000 after several attempts, I suggest you request them to replace your D7000 with a brand new one. Hopefully that will save everybody a lot of time and trouble. In the US, for cars, there is some "lemon law" that if it has a lot of defects, you are entitled to a replacement car rather than keep on getting it fixed over and over.
    And there are a lot of discussion about AF issues on the D800 as well. How much of that is real and how much is internet hear say I don't know. I am fortunate that all D7000 and D800 (only one so far) I have used have no AF problems.
    BTW, the AF fine tune issue I ran into is thorougly described in photo.net's lens review: http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/lenses/85mm-f1.8-g-af-s/review/

71. Shun, Thank you for this input. I read the 85mm article. I to believe this camera should be replaced. In my case there has been more to it than Back Focus issues. I will list them bellow. But first I would like to let you know some good that has come from this. Because I was trying to figure out if it was me or the camera, I now know how to test the camera properly. I have gone out and practiced, practiced, practiced. I have spent a week on flying birds alone. Using the flash now more than ever, day , night and indoors. Making a check list before going out and following it. What I am saying is this experience has taught me some of the things I needed to learn. Although I did not like the way it happened.
    List of other happenings with the camera.
    1. I had a card reading error with all 6 memory cards I used with this camera. A firmware upgrade and this does not happen anymore.
    2. 4 times the top screen has flashed with "error", this happened awhile after the firmware update. The only way I was able to get back to using the camera was to remove the battery and put it back in, turn it on, error starts flashing, now press the shutter half way.
    3. After the third service while going around town to take shots in various locations, Buildings, Traffic, People, Trees and so on. I noticed the photos were coming out in a pattern. Normal, light, bark. I checked to see if Bracketing was turned on and it was set to "0F"(Zero-F). I called Nikon to help with this. Reset the camera with the 2 green buttons and 2 other places in the menu. This cleared up what was happening, no explanation, it just worked.
    4. The late afternoon before taking the camera in again another thing happened. Running around town again take photos of all kinds of things. When loading things in the car I put the camera on the passenger seat then finished packing the rest of the gear and noticed the camera on and went to turn it off, but it was already turned off. I paused for a few seconds, then turned the switch to the on position then off again and it turned off. Don't know what to make of this.
    Nikon is aware of all of this.

72. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

73. NIKON D7000 has trashed so many of my photos with backfocusing it is unbelievable, useless in tungsten light... incredibly disappointed with this cameras performance here.
    00am9l-494069584.jpg

74. I can confirm in my case too, I have a severe back focus problem already confirmed by the technical support after send it back to Nikon. I was forced to use -15 settings for the 35mm, and around -10 to use the 16-85 at high focal lenght values, and -5 at low focal lenght values
    After getting it back from the support, i have still the problem but in a bit reduced form. Now with the 35mm i have to set -7, while with the 16-85 at high focal lenght values i have to put -7, and 0 with short focal lenght, especially 16mm
    Furthermore, I have still not tried with the cold light so i can't confirm to be still affected or not by the light problem
    What to say.........i am completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely completely disappointed
    Dear Nikon, if you can read this message, this is going to be my last Nikon camera. I will never recommend anymore your products to my friend because today i feel damned ashamed to have done it with 5 of them....they bought d700, d3100, and d5000 models and so on, as per my suggestion.....
    I can't believe Nikon are not doing an official press or news release where they invite people to check their product due to a very high percentage of possibility that they have a defective camera
    I have trashed almost all of my Budapest pictures after my trip......i'm going to visit iceland in few months....you can imagine my mindstate, imaging to go there, taking some northern lights pictures, just to realize once back home that they have to be trashed all
    If this is the way you treat people after all the money they give you......at least for me, this is a game over..........

75. You're that disappointed and never going to buy a Nikon again because you had to use the fine tune and put in a -7? And before you sent it in the adjustment needed was already within the range that fine tune can handle? And you joined an internet forum and put up one post just to say that?
    There's nothing wrong with your camera. Quit fussing over focus points and go shoot some photos.

76. Andy L, you obviously work in Nikon "tech support" (aka support group for those of us who receive defective gear--no solutions though), "customer service" (aka read reasons to blame the customer off a cheat sheet), or "repair department" (aka the department of Nikon in most need of repair).

I did get mine repaired to the point where it was usable. However, the focus remained unreliable. I was still getting one shot out of four out of focus in good light. In bad light (aka light that's perfectly fine for anything with CAM3500) I would get one in ten IN focus. This is regardless of focus mode or point chosen.

The focus system in my former D2x, D300, and D70 all surpassed the D7000 for reliable focus by a wide margin.
    Andy L, there is likely something wrong with your camera, and you just lack the skill/knowledge to notice it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a loose attachment behind the eye piece.

To everybody else: be firm with Nikon until you're satisfied they have adequately repaired your camera. It took me several attempts to get an adequate (just adequate, not excellent) repair. Nikon's US repair department is historically dismal. They will keep trying until they get it right if you give them a chance though. It might take a year, but if you're tenacious, you'll get results.

77. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Andy L, there is likely something wrong with your camera, and you just lack the skill/knowledge to notice it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a loose attachment behind the eye piece.​
    Micah, that kind of language is really uncalled for.
    I find the D7000's AF very good, perhaps not quite as good as the one on the D300, D700, and D800, but it is better than the D2X and certainly the D70. I have since tested the D600 quite a bit, and the D600 uses the same AF module as the D7000, and I too am very happy with the D600's AF.
    If Nikon, USA or elsewhere, cannot repair your D7000's AF to your satisfaction after multiple attempts, IMO you should demand a replacement. I have used several D7000 bodies and all of them have very good AF, so I am sure you can get one that is just as good as mine. When a unit is defective to being with, it is not always possible to completely correct it.

78. There's nothing wrong with your camera. Quit fussing over focus points and go shoot some photos.​
    That was the specific line where you asked for it. The prior poster has a legit, very common problem, and you effectively told them to stop whining. Rethink your comment. Or just think before you post at all.
    I have had the absolute worst time with Nikon's USA repair department. The prior poster is right to be apprehensive about sending the camera in at all. Nikon has yet to redeem itself on this issue with the D7000. And it is unlikely they ever will at this late date.

79. Actually Micah, it was Shun who called you on your response. But the poster here does have a camera that is not broken - it's behaving normally. There is minor variation in flange spacing from unit to unit. As you say, this is a very common problem, as it occurs in all camera and lens combinations from all manufacturers. It is literally impossible to make 100% of parts sold comply with the specs to a fine enough level of precision that focus can't be affected at all, which is why there is a fine tune feature. It used to be that serious users of AF SLRs sent their cameras and lenses to the shop together to be calibrated, and I'm pretty sure the D7000 is the first enthusiast grade Nikon with fine tuning, so this is a big improvement. (Actually, I bet the reason we see so much commentary on D7000 focusing is that for a large number of people it's the first time they've been exposed to the reality of focus variation.)
    You discussed this stuff yourself in this thread so I'm going to stop typing and go back to postprocessing.

80. @Andy L, first: my apologies. You are right about the second message being from Shun.
    Second, however, I certainly take issue with the tone of the line I quoted. My understanding is that this is a community of users who seek to support each other through the sharing of information/experience/knowledge. Since is a demonstrably common real hardware issue, the best thing is to help walk each other through the issue, which likely requires sending the camera to Nikon in a timely manner, and forcing them to deal with the issue.

Telling somebody they don't have a problem is not just insulting, it could lead to damages, if that person then neglects to get their camera repaired while their warranty is still good.

So shame on you for even trying to shunt somebody down that road.

In regards to the linked thread: I never did bother sending it all in. I make a living with my gear, and decided it wasn't worth the (considering USA repair waste of) time to make all my perfectly good lenses work with a perfectly mediocre body. Note the D90 is not on my list of bodies with properly performing AF.

@Shun Cheung: That's my point exactly. It is wrong to tell this person to stop bugging Nikon and go shoot. They need to keep after Nikon to fix the problem. Don't dismiss their problem--encourage them to test it properly, try fine tune, document the results, and if needed, send it in for repair. Perhaps my response was inelegant, but my intent is benevolent: to defend someone who was really looking for help.

Berkut, keep at it. Get your gear fixed!

Shun, if you think the D7000 focus is anywhere near on par with the D2x, you either have a miraculous wunder-D7000 and D600, or have only used a really crappy AF-ing D2x. I have tried 6-7 D7000 bodies and they all performed about the same (except for the one I had when I first got it.) They miss focus, and often. I had far too many misses with every single one of my lense. And not near misses. Really bad misses. The D2x had far fewer misses with pretty much the same glass. Not no misses at all, but it was head and shoulders above the D7000.

No pro photographer I know has been happy with the CAM4800 autofocus. It really is utter crap compared to the CAM3500. That's why I've gone back to the D300 for crop sensor work. It's a night and day difference.

If critical focus with AF isn't important to you, then I can see how you think every D7000 is "just as good as [yours]". If I do a hurried group shot and I take five pictures, I want at least four sharp 99% of the time. On a good day, the D7000 was giving me one perfectly focused shot 10% of the time, and then 4 that were only good for web. Hell, I could have manual focused better!

It's a real problem, and customers who have adequately diagnosed the issue should keep after Nikon until they get an acceptable fix.

If the issue is that the CAM4800 is just not up to the task of focusing accurately enough for a 16mp sensor, then the only real solution is that Nikon needs to own up to a very serious design flaw and remedy it.

This is unlikely, so maybe the only solution that really is left that this point is a class action lawsuit.
    People are right to be angry. Don't berate them for trying to diagnose a real hardware issue. I can't imagine that ignoring our common problems is a way to build a community.
    Of course, if you think that it is, I can understand why this site seems to be on the wane.

81. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

No pro photographer I know has been happy with the CAM4800 autofocus. It really is utter crap compared to the CAM3500. That's why I've gone back to the D300 for crop sensor work. It's a night and day difference.​
    Micah, recently, a lot of people have bought the D600 since it is now an "affordable" way to get into FX with a new sensor from 2012 (instead of buying a used D700 with its 2007 technology based on the D3). I think a lot of them would disagree wtih your blanket statement about the Multi-CAM 4800, which is used on the D7000 and D600.
    In fact, it is well documented that during my 2011 two-week wildlife photo trip to the Galapagos Islands, the D7000 was my main camera that I captured over 10K images overall and the D300 was merely the backup when I photographed from inflatable Zodiac boats (so that in case I dropped the camera from the boat into the ocean, it was merely a backup). Since wildlife photography was the main itinirary, AF speed and accuracy was critical. The D7000 wins over the D300 due to its superior high-ISO capability and extra pixels, while AF performance is only barely weaker: http://www.photo.net/travel-photography-forum/00aGpD
    I can assure that I wouldn't pick the D7000 if its AF were not up to par when AF performance is so critical.

82. I used to have a D7000 and also used it for wildlife while I was living in Florida last winter. For example, all the bird shots here came from my D7000 with Tamron 70-300 VC lens and no fine focus adjustment. The camera did very well at this and was sharp both with stationary birds and tracking birds in flight. I've also used it for sports, and it wouldn't be my choice if I were a sports pro but it was fine for my needs.
    Really, you can't compare the D7000 AF system to the D2X, D300 or D700. Those are higher end cameras. The D7000 isn't for the same things. Of course those cameras have advantages in the AF department.
    As for my comment, it was good advice. There is nothing wrong with the poster's camera. He should use the AF fine tune to adjust for his lenses, then quit worrying about this and go shoot with the D7000. It's a pointless waste of effort to keep sending in a camera that isn't broken.
    You all are getting far too pissed off over something that isn't a real problem. Probably there were a few guys at some point who had D7000s with a focusing problem. They wrote about it on some forums. Other people who were either having trouble focusing their cameras because they weren't experienced, or misinterpreted "having to use the fine tune" as "the AF is broken," did Google searches, saw these forum posts, posted on forums that their camera too had some problem, more people find that on Google, and now it's "The D7000 has a terrible focus problem!" Instead these people should either practice using their camera or adjust their fine tuning, as appropriate, and go shoot photos.

83. I'm happy for you two folks. Really. You got lucky.
    Many others have not been so lucky. It's a real problem, which I have first hand experience with. Not something off of a forum. No amount of fine tune fixed it. And as I've said in other forums, before I sent it in the first time, it was so discombobulated that fine tune was actually working in reverse with one lens. After sending it in twice I gave up and sold it. It was functioning well enough that I didn't feel guilty doing so, but I also didn't feel like wasting my time or losing any more shots.
    If all your lenses require -15 to -20 correction to work, but do actually work, no, that is not acceptable. Consider that the gear is likely to drift mechanically and electrically over time, and it's better to have something assembled and calibrated right to start with, and have room to adjust later down the road. So no, I have to disagree completely that a large amount of fine tune in and of itself is no cause for concern. It is cause for concern, and the poster is right to worry. Maybe their expectations for a remedy are bit of a stretch. But if it were me, I too would fight to just return the thing.
    And I will reiterate: USA Nikon's repair record on this and similar issues is cause for concern to the point that it may be worth returning a camera if you can, rather than deal with the lengthy repair process.
    It took Nikon over a year and no less than five different bodies to get me one functioning D700 last year. (actually 14months to be precise)
    If you've had completely different experiences, mazel tov. But for those of us who have been burned, your refrain of "there is not problem" is no consolation. And others would be wise to pay attention and look out for the real issues than the less fortunate among us have experienced with these cameras.
    Finally about the D600 and CAM4800 in general: CAM4800 has less frame coverage. The outer points suck (at least on the D7000. Maybe better on the D600--haven't seen yet). And my experience with a bunch of D7000 bodies and failed repairs on one tell me that it's just a plain weaker system.
    Last week I used a recently purchased D300 to shoot an event I usually use my D700 for. It performed exactly like my D700. And it performed excellently where the D7000 had failed: bright spot on performers wearing bright clothes in front of a black, unlit curtain. Performers lit to about EV 12. The D7000 croaked on the same event last year with the same light, same lens, even after "repair". That's unacceptable. And real.
    The problem is real. The lack of an adequate solution is real. Your experience is also real. But obviously not exemplary. If you don't have a problem camera, good for you. Let the rest of us talk through the problem and find solutions. Why involve yourself if it doesn't affect you?

84. I stand by what I said. The poster's camera is fine. He should stop worrying about it and enjoy shooting.

85. I'm surprised Berkut is having issues with those lenses. The depth of field on the wide lenses usually helps the focus a lot (unless you're wide open at minimum focusing distance) Wait until you throw a 800 5.6 or 600 f4 on there. Then you'll really see how bad you're problems are. I managed using my backfocusing d7000 until I got the sigma 120-300 2.8. Way out of range for fine tune.

86. Dear friends, thanks to understand the frustration that one can feel in this situation (not Andy apparently)....Probably, Andy, who is doing here the "good daddy" part, by suggesting his kid (me) to get out, enjoy the fresh air and learn to take some pictures just because i'm not able to use my new kid toy or just because i shouldn't care so much if my pictures will finish in the trashbin of Windows Seven due to focus problems, is not aware that i had a D90 for almost 3 years with which i did almost 50.000 shots, and that it was PERFECT and that i changed it with something that should be better, the D7000 (i don't want to talk about the reasons...it's not the goal of the discussion)
    Dear Andy, put yourself in my shoes.....i have sold my D90 to take something (on the chart) better...and now i find myself hanging around with a camera which lacks one of the most important thing....a reliable autofocus
    Some days has passed since my previous post and i can confirm that depending by the temperature of light i am still having problems even with tripod (vr turned off, mirror delay on) or even with very fast shooting speed 1/500 with static targets...depending by the light, i can get different result and lot of pictures can only be trashed....I will contact Nikon again by telling them that i want something new, and that their adjustment is unacceptable, simply because the D90 was perfect in comparison....
    If it can help you in understanding how bad is the situation..i have read somewhere that Amazon some months ago suspended the shipment of the D7000 due to the very large amount of complaints by customers
    The goal of my message is to inform and make the users aware...the final message is not "don't buy the D7000"....but just...do you like it? ok if you want to avoid problems, if you can, just buy it where you can test it personally in different situations....i buy it online and now i am in a lot of trouble......and it seems that i am not the only one, absolutely......

87. You said yourself that the AF fine tune fixes the problem. Just fine tune the AF and go use the camera.

88. Hi again friends,
    i would like to update you on my situation to help you solve your issues with your D7000 autofocus
    Finally, thanks to god, i have had the chance to personally talk with a special advanced technician of the nikon support who really follows my case and helped me to solve the problems......errrr....solving the problem is a big word, i would say to find a workaround
    First of all, he personally DECLARED to me on the phone that they recognize the problem of the autofocus phase detect system which is negatively influenced by the light temperature....so what they do when they calibrate the camera, is using a light which is more similar as possible to the sunlight.... so, considering that, he declared me on the phone that with tungsten light and cold light sources, IT'S NORMAL that you get back or front focus.....no way to solve it, you have to live with it, and i can't send the machine in assistance for it, they would refuse to find a solution
    Furthermore, about the random out of focus problems, he confirmed me that it's normal and it's a phase detect limits. LUCKILY, he told me that Nikon has released a FAQ which explains ALL the situations where the phase detect will generate random out of focus issues, even though the problem related to the light temperature is NOT officially reported in this FAQ (i told him to propose Nikon to do it, because it would clarify that to ALL users)
    Anyway, in the end, finally it seems somewhat official, and normal, at least from the point of view of the advance technical support of Nikon (not the simple first line support). Light temperature influences the back and front focus, and also the phase detect has further limits most of them reported in their FAQ which you can read here (with the exception of the light temperature)
    https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4585/kw/autofocus
    VERY IMPORTANT, for those of you still afraid of random out of focus, at the end of the article which explain all of the bad situations for the phase detect, there are also some tips to improve the chance to get a good autofocus..... one of them is very very intersting, and it says that it's officially recognized that with the wide area point, instead of the normal one, which can be enabled at least on the D7000 and D90 for the center af point, there are more chances to get a nice autofocus
    I really hope that my informations will help other users on this topic to better understand the situation....in the end, i have understood that these limits are considered like chromatic aberration....no way to solve them...now i have a official response to confirm it, at least here in Italy, and if i don't like my camera, i can freely decide to sell it if i don't like its beahaviour and be sure that i'm selling something that doesn't have a defect

89. RANDOM BLURRED PICTURES FINALLY SOLVED
    Dear friends,
    i have a new update, and it's a very good news
    In the post above i have written about the Nikon FAQ where they declare the limit of phase detect which must be taken into account when you focus, but let be honest with ourselvES, i'm sure we are ALL still getting a lot of strange blurred pictures completely randomly, and we are all crying because inside our heart we love the D7000 afterall.......without counting how many times we have been accused to not being able to use the AF system
    Well, after spending an entire afternoon by testing and testing to put an end to this story, finally, thanks to god, i have found the main issue behind the random blurred (similar to out of focus) pictures and i can even reproduce it when i want, and so i have decide to bring you the proof
    I know it's hard to believe, but it's real, and we only need to get the feedbacks of other users to understand if it's just my D7000 body or it's ALL body that suffer from this problem
    It's the VR.....yes, it seems like the VR is causing the big problem. It seems that randomly, the pictures taken with a speed slower than 1/400, DESPITE the focal lenght used, risk to be blurred and apparently out of focus due to the VR. Simply, the D7000 HATE the VR.
    Just turn off the VR and the problem will DISAPPEAR and the pictures will be perfect (as long as you correctly use the phase detect by aiming it at a subject with enough contrast and by respecting its limits as reported in Nikon Faqs)
    Finally i have taken a long sequence of shots where i can show you all this and i want you to do it right now.... I have taken also other long sequences of test shots with different lenses and NO WAY, the VR is ALWAYS the problem.
    Yes, sometimes pictures are nice, but some other times they will blurred with apparently no reason.....apparently til now.......
    **************TEST SPECIFICATION******************
    I have used the 16-85 VR by taking a sequence of handheld shots at different exposures for both vr on and vr off. You can see on the right panel of every shot all the specifications. As you can see for yourself, at 85mm, you can take handheld the shots even at 1/80 WITHOUT any problems with the VR off especially if you are good enough. Once you turn it on, it's over, even at 1/250 pictures will be blurred and it will seem like they were a bit out of focus due to a phase detect fault (while phase detect is not involved!!!!!!!!)
    NOTICE: the problem is happening ALSO with other VR lenses like the 55-200mm NIkon VR, at least on my D7000 body, and even with the 18-200 as reported by another user which has already discovered the problem (check it here http://www.flickr.com/groups/d7000-club/discuss/72157630740284254/)
    **************HOW TO DO A SIMILAR THE TEST AT HOME***************
    Take a lens, decide a focal lenght, let's say 85mm with the 16-85VR or the 18-105. Now set the VR on, set the Exposure priority mode, and set the exposure manually to double the focal lenght, which is around 1/160. Take 10 shots. Now do the exact thing with VR off.
    If you have taken better pictures with VR off you are affected by the issue
    You can do the same with Nikkor 55-200VR. Put it at 200mm, and this time set the exposure at a very risky value for this focal lenght, which once again can be 1/160. Now take 10 pictures with VR turned on, and ENSURE to be steady and keep your breath. When you have done, take 10 pictures with VR turned off and ENSURE to keep your breath and be VERY VERY VERY steady, because it will be very difficult. If you are affected by the issue like me, incredibly, your VR off pictures will be better
    ****************Time to show you the test********************
    NOTE1: ALL PICTURES HAVE BEEN CROPPED TO 100%, PLEASE CHECK DATA ON THE RIGHT PANEL OF NIKON VIEWNX
    NOTE2: TO COMPENSATE THE CHANGE OF EXPOSURE I HAVE CHANGED ISO AND KEPT THE APERTURE TO F8 TO AVOID DIFFRACTION INFLUENCE
    VR ON SEQUENCE:
    1/640 VR ON, STILL GOOD
    [​IMG]
    1/400 VR ON STILL GOOD
    [​IMG]
    1/250 VR ON PARTIALLY BAD
    [​IMG]
    1/160 VR ON BAD
    [​IMG]
    1/100 VR ON VERY BAD
    [​IMG]
    VR OFF SEQUENCE:
    1/400 VR OFF GOOD
    [​IMG]
    1/250 VR OFF GOOD
    [​IMG]
    1/160 VR OFF GOOD
    [​IMG]
    1/100 VR OFF GOOD
    [​IMG]
    ******************CONCLUSION******************
    I need to first get some feedback from other users, but right now i have already found on flickr at this link another guy who has discovered the same issue before me
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/d7000-club/discuss/72157630740284254/
    So it seems like Nikon is selling a body with an incompatible lens. Apparently, it seems like the D7000 is making too much vibrations so that the VR becomes apparently unstable. Furthermore, it seems like D7000 has been made to work well only with FX lenses or prime lens without stabilizer like the 35mm f1.8 which doesn't have any issue on my body
    I say again, everything must be FIRST confirmed by other users because it could be simply a problem of my body, but once again, on flickr i have already found another guy which is reporting the same problem
    Below in the end, i would like to make a very little tutorial to help people to finally solve all issues reported with D7000
    ***********************TUTORIAL TO SOLVE D7000 COMMON ISSUES:**********************
    1) Back focus or front focus issues?
    If you have found this issue, ensure to make a test again with a sunny light. Nikon has confirmed on the phone to me that light too much different from sunlight (too warm or too cold) like that of a desklamp is not supported and can cause back or front focus. If you are one of those guys testing your camera in the night with a desklamp turned o because during day you work, please be patient and wait for sunday, than go out with your set of battery at midday (avoid too much cloudy days), put them in raw, and only than do the AF test. In case you still get back or front focus, than it's ok, you need to call support or at least you can try to use the AF Tune
    2) Random general out of focus
    Please, Nikon has confirmed that Phase detect has limitations. You must be aware of them if you want to use Nikon cameras. Please have a look at them here
    https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4585/kw/autofocus
    3) Random general out of focus or strange blurred picture even in VERY stupid and easy situations
    Please turn your VR off and ensure to take pictures with an exposure which must be double the focal lenght you use. For example, for 200mm ensure to use at least 1/400. Another example, with 85mm ensure to use at least 1/160. Maybe your situations will be improved. It seems like D7000 doesn't like the stabilizer of kit lenses
    Dear friends, after 7 months of pains and nightmares, now and only now it's time to enjoy my dear camera. Now i can make love with it.....and i really really hope you too, i have written all this just for you, because i can understand how you feel
    Thanks to all for your attention....
    Dear Nikon, one of the days &%!£$/&%£$/&%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........................................

90. I'm glad you found what you feel to be a solution.

Your solution doesn't apply to everyone though. I tested with 50mm/f1.4G, 85mm/f1.8D, 70-200mm/f2.8VR, 35mm/f2, 17-55mm/f2.8 and some third party lenses, on a tripod at a fixed, high contrast test target (VR off on the 70-200mm), with the IR remote to isolate movement.

Motion blur or the VR shifting the image across the AF sensor was NOT the issue with my camera, nor with any other D7000 I've tried, nor the D600 I tried.

No, the issue is just that CAM4800 is inferior to all the AF systems I had used before from Nikon. This included the F100, F80, D70, D2x, D200, D300, D700, and D3. CAM3500 seems to be the best, and from now on I will never buy a Nikon camera with lesser AF.

Seeing that the other Nikon bodies I used that didn't have CAM3500 or CAM4800 were all better than those with CAM4800, I can only conclude that CAM4800 is defective garbage. Either that, or there was a really large run of bad modules that Nikon is refusing to acknowledge.

Either way, the D7000 had defective AF. There's just no "fix" for it. You either accept it's short comings or you avoid it.

91. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

No, the issue is just that CAM4800 is inferior to all the AF systems I had used before from Nikon. This included the F100, F80, D70, D2x, D200, D300, D700, and D3.​
    That is definitely not my experience. I own a D7000 as soon as it was available and tested a D600 for over a month. Both have very good AF. The Multi-CAM 4800 on the D7000 and D600 is certainly not as good as the Multi-CAM 3500 on the D3, D4, D300, D700, D800 and now D7100, but it beats the Multi-CAM 1000 on the D200 (I have one) and especially the Mutil-CAM 900 on the F80 and D70 (I have that on the D100) very easily. The latter two have only one cross-type AF point.
    As a matter of fact, AF on the D600 is better than that on the D7000, although the D600 is FX so that those 39 AF points are more concentrated into the center of the frame.
    Needless to say, it is none other than Nikon's top-of-the-line the Multi-CAM 3500 that generates endless discussion on the D800's left AF issue.

92. I'm glad you had a good experience. Mine differs. I found the whole array to be less consistent than anything I've used by Nikon. So like I said, it was probably defective. CAM900 never gave me the same level of trouble in any camera.

I've had bad experiences with CAM4800, and Nikon failed to remedy them. Unlike the D800, where Nikon has, on some level, admitted a problem and addressed it. As a working professional, I didn't have time to waste with their shoddy service of the issue. So please, leave off with your apologies for the cameras and their AF.

People should just know that CAM4800 is flaky by nature, and anybody who earns a living from their gear should avoid it.

That's the advice I'm giving, and it's good advice.

93. I'm sad my solution above didn't work for you. I was one of those users complaining every instant about the low reliability of the D7000. But now without that damned VR, and after learned well to use the phase detect, now the pictures are extremely sharp...i can't even believe they are so sharp......no need to use sharpness or resolution reduction
    Just another thing that maybe could help you a bit....after testing the phase detect for a long time (before i discovered the issue of the VR), i have found the following....could you try to take pictures by aiming at high contrast angles of objects like the angles of windows? i have seen that if you aim at portions of subjects which contain both a vertical contrasted line and a horizontal one, my chances to get a perfect focus have been increased enough, as long as obviously, you use a cross type af point....i know that it's a "better than nothing" approach, but after 6 months of nightmares, for me it's like a glass of water in the middle of the desert
    The other solution would have been to give up with photography....thinking about buying something else like a canon camera sounds bad in my ears....yes you could fix THIS issue, but what about other possible issues with canon??? the more you change the more you put yourself at risk of new issues....i don't want anymore nightmares...i accept to live with these limitations, as long as i know now HOW to avoid them...this is the most important thing...no more unexpected suprises.....

94. I tested it repeatedly both in real word conditions with sharp, high contrast lines and on test charts like the one here: http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart Also on just plain old black and white text on a page. On a computer monitor. On brightly lit people on a stage, with all types of skin and clothing colors. Short lenses. Long lenses. <br><br>
    In other words lots of situations where it should absolutely succeed. I'd only be slightly disappointed if it didn't perform up to snuff in dim clubs, but not surprised. The above situations are where ANY af system should shine though. CAM4800 just doesn't.<br><br>
    And I find it extremely odd that VR would cause problems for any AF system. It should be the exact opposite, as it should give the AF sensors a more stable target. I suspect the VR in your lens was just not performing correctly and actually just adding motion to your exposures. That's what it looks like in your shots anyway.<br><br>
    I'd have Nikon service the lens.<br><br>
    I do wonder if maybe the area that each AF point covers is narrower on CAM4800.

95. I have never had sharp shots on my 16-85mm with my D7000. Setting focus fine tune works
    perfectly... until you zoom the lens then the fine tune needs a different value. Today I took my lens
    to try it out on a very late D7000 (mine is 2011). Almost exactly the same. Tried the lens on a
    D7100 and perfect at all zoom settings. I'm surprised that this issue is still happening on the
    D7000.