Nikon D700

<p>I can't post this on the Nikon forum because they have banned me for 191 years. I am not sure why. I had a shoot scheduled today. The primary camera was to be a Nikon D700 which I bought new this year. The wheels to set the shutter speed and aperture would not work. I have used this camera frequently before and it was not disabled. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>I had my D700 go crazy (no image-review possible, AF-focus-points jumping from one to another) once. I panicked but found the source of the trouble some minutes later: the contacts between camera and battery-grip were somehow (dust?) not proper connecting. Maybe this is the root of all evil on your D700 too.<br>

Hope this helps, georg.</p>

<p>Try resetting everything, per the instruction manual. Nearly every time I've encountered an odd problem with my D2H it's been due to custom settings I'd forgotten about. The only exception was a partial failure repaired under warranty in 2006.</p>

<p>I keep hearing people suggest "cleaning the contacts". Maybe. Or maybe it's voodoo. In four years with my D2H not once have I ever actually needed to clean any contacts to restore full function. With the exception of a single component failure, already mentioned, every case of apparent malfunction was due to my having changed some custom setting and forgotten about it a week later. Most dSLRs offer so many variables and ways to customize the way dials, buttons and controls operate, my first reaction now is to check everything in the menu or, if I'm in a rush, reset to factory defaults.</p>

<p>A couple other occasional sources of odd behavior:</p>

<ol>

<li>Weak batteries in the SB-800. For some reason when the AA NiMH cells in the SB-800 flash get weak it makes the D2H act funky. Removing the flash solves the problem.</li>

<li>The Pocket Wizards, used in conjunction with mirror lockup, will occasionally demand an additional shutter release press to return the mirror and shutter to default. This occurs only when using mirror lockup with the D2H and Pocket Wizards, never with any other option.</li>

</ol>

<p>So if you're using any other accessories, especially third party accessories or lenses, be sure to consider that as a possible variable.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I can't post this on the Nikon forum because they have banned me for 191 years. I am not sure why</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I believe the ban was the result of you having two accounts under different names and using the second account to support your own arguments and comment on your own portfolio. I understand the reasons were explained to you. Check your email.</p>