Nikon D700 locks up? Help

austinphoto

<p>I have recently updated the firmware of my D700 to 1.1. It was perfectly fine before this. Now, it just locks up and will not take a photo every so often. I shut the camera off and shoot. It works fine after shut down. It happens sporadically. I'm just afraid it will happen at the wrong time and I will loose an important shot. Anyone familiar with this? Will I be able to download the original firmware 1.0? Is it available?<br>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, you cannot downgrade the firmware on a DSLR yourself. It is a one-way street such that you can only upgrade in one direction.<br>

However, I really doubt that this problem is caused by the firmware upgrade or it would have been widely reported. I would first verify that your battery is working properly. Have you checked your camera with other batteries that are fully charged.</p>

<p>You need to do a little troubleshooting. If it is not a battery issues, it could be a lens issue. Does it lock up with one particular lens or all your lenses? If you cannot isolate the problem you will likely want to send your camera in to Nikon for warranty service.</p>

<p>Abe,<br>

Is the firmware 1.01, not 1.1? I don't think there is a 1.1 firmware. Did you confirm that both A&B are at the same version. I highly doubt that the firmware load is bad. Typically firmware has a checksum in it that will have to match a before the device will accept it. I can't confirm this specifically for Nikon but i would be suprised if they didn't follow good engineering practice.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>The same strange behaviour happens for my D700 also. This started after the firmware upgrade to 1.01. I've noticed that these strange hangs happens when you review the photos on the display and the only way to unlock the camera is to shut it off and on again. My camera never locked up when was taking photos. I don't know if it could help you, but in order to save batteries I've disabled the option to show the picture on the display after the shot.</p>