Nikon D700 LCD won't turn on while remote release is connected

samuel_lipoff

<p>I've made an impromptu remote release by connecting the foot pedal from a Yamaha keyboard to my Nikon D700 via a couple of audio jack adapters and a 2.5mm sub-mini to 10-pin cable that came with my Seculine R4N remote release. The foot pedal works great, except that when the assembly is connected the LCD on my D700 won't turn on, neither for image review nor for accessing the menus. As soon as I disconnect the remote release it snaps back on. Is there anyway to renable the LCD? I assume one of the audio jack adapters connectors is grounding another pin on the 10-pin connector. There are only three male pins on the Seculine cable, and I think it fits into the female 10-pin connector on the camera in only one way.</p>

<p>I figured it out --- this webpage was very helpful:</p>

<p>http://www.alldigi.com/tag/nikon-10-pin-connector/</p>

<p>Basically, the issue is that a regular remote release switch has three positions: off, half-press, full-press, but the foot pedal is only two position: off and full press. When the shutter is half pressed, the LCD is turned off. If you short pin 4 to pin 9 the camera will continuously fire, but a diode in between will allow them to be depressed simultaneously. </p>