Nikon D700 Banding /Blooming [Pictures Attached]

abhinav_s

<p>Exif <br />Camera Nikon D700Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)Aperture f/2.5Focal Length 50 mmFocal Length 50.4 mmISO Speed 3200<br /><br />here<br /> http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7013/6607606033_95eae353ff_b.jpg<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />I'm pretty disappointed with it because I took Six shots of the same place and had similar results :|.I never had such problem with D90 even at iso's like 3200 .<br />this mean it is almost impossible to do shots like this with D700 :((<br /> Alone /> http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6095/6303241504_c375dd325d_z.jpg</p>

<p>Looks like my D700 - If I have a bright spot/blown out highlight in the scene at high ISO and then try to lighten up the shadows in post I get this as well. This is a well known characteristic of this sensor and one of the few things that I do not like about the D700.</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>I guess we might see similar banding if I shoot CFL or if building is fitted with CFL's .Thats really bad :|.I bought this camera a week ago because of its iso ,and I'm feeling preety sad on new year :(</p>

<p>between Happy New year to you .</p>

<p>I guess we might see similar banding if I shoot CFL or if building is fitted with CFL's .Thats really bad :|.I bought this camera a week ago because of its iso ,and I'm feeling preety sad on new year :(</p>

<p>between Happy New year to you .</p>

<p>There is almost no way to be certain about the cause of this without having a copy of the RAW file, but if I had to guess, I would bet that you either used shadow recovery, D-lighting, or a steep curve to bring out detail in the darker parts of the scene, ie, exactly what John H said. I feel this way because the contrast ratio in the image you posted is not as high as I typically see in night scenes that I have photographed. Basically, you are asking too much out of the sensor.</p>

<p>If John and I are correct, a much better way to do this would be to take several shots (spaced, say, 1 f-stop apart), and blend them in an HDR program. If you did this, I doubt you would see the problematic effect.</p>

<p>Tom M.</p>

<p>If you pick a mid-pale-strip line and put a marker through it (in PS), they <em><strong>all </strong></em>line up with the over-bright areas of the fluorescent lights above each 'doorway/booth etc or other very-bright lit bits. That would strike me as not co-incidental.</p>

<p>I'm not sure I've met linear sensor bloom, as such, and am not sure how this could be a RAW conversion fault... unless it uses lines of pixels somehow?</p>

<p>Multi-shot HDR Blending is very well, but is that chap or other passing cars gonna stay still??!!</p>

<p>It's also far more noisey than I'd expect, but as other have said, that's what happens with lightening vastly under exposed shadows. I'd guess they were almost black in the original.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The <em><strong>banding</strong></em> is <em><strong>not</strong> </em>a regular pattern <em><strong>and </strong></em>lines up with the over-exposed lights on the building....why does this happen on a non-linear array? It's a chip, not a scanner. Sensor blooming occurs as an adjacent-to-light colour fringe or halo.</p>

<p>To anyone with a D700 handy, go out into the dark, put it to ISO 3200, find a view with one streetlight and position it 1/3 way 'in' and 'up' and shoot a bunch of pics from 4 stops under to over and lets see this banding. My D700 has been borrowed currently</p>

<p>If it's related to the light source you'll get one band, if it's a semi regular pattern it's an amplifier/software issue.</p>

I think you are expecting to much from the camera. Pushing 4 stops from any iso should introduce annoying artifacts but

pushing four stops at 3200? The image should look pretty crappy with strange artifacts abounding especially in hi-con

areas. Getting a good exposure is the best way of achieving clean blacks and that requires some light.

As Mike explained, it's basically an inherent problem with the sensor. You're asking too much from it. I experienced something similar and even posted it here in PN some time ago. You can probably find it by looking up my posts. If I do, I'll post the link here. Again, it's a relatively "normal" thing that happens with the type of lighting you're working with.

<p>The 4 stops, either way, I referred to, <strong><em>should</em></strong> encompass the entire dynamic range of this very high contrast scene.....those bright highlights are <strong>very</strong> bright<strong>, </strong> those deep shadows are <strong>very </strong>dark.</p>

<p>Photographically for HDR, I'd probably do the +/- 4 stops with the ISO @ 400</p>

<p>I actually meant it as a way to 'image' the banding so we can identify the actual problem.</p>

<p>Had on of those weird 'Eureka' moments. Bands <strong>always</strong> appear to run 'long axis'. Just use an L-Frame, take two frames at 90 degrees and erase the bands 'through' to the other image in photoshop...</p>

<p>Of course, you do end up with a square image (the overlap)...that makes composition easier..:-))</p>

<p>Simples.... :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There was a similar thread on this a while back. The banding seems more dependent on the contrast within the scene than the actual exposure level. I've had perfectly acceptable exposures taken at 12,800 ISO, when I know that no other camera would have coped as well with the available dark.</p>

<p>Anyhow, here are two exposures designed to provoke the banding effect. The left was shot at 3200 ISO, and the right at 6400. The 6400 ISO shot does indeed show some streaks from the highlights in the image, but at 3200 ISO it looks pretty clean. </p><div>00ZoDO-429475584.jpg.706677199e9772c807125d7d8d45778f.jpg</div>

<p>@<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2403817">Rodeo Joe</a> at least that file taken at 3200 iso looks usable.</p>

<p>I visited Nikon India headquarter Service center .I showed them all the files where I saw lines/banding .Later they checked the camera using their software for mirror alignment and even cleaned the sensor .There engineer told me they cannot replace the camera because Nikon India doesn't have a replacement policy ,but they are ready to change the sensor if need only after inspecting the files with lines carefully.. WTH</p>

<p>This is blooming caused by blown highlights. You might be surprised to find out that it happens at /every/ ISO setting. But it is inconsequential at low ISO numbers. My D3 did this, and I went through a long process with Nikon. The D3s does not do this. Unfortunately, there is no fix for the D700.</p>

<p>The extent to which this phenomenon is visible is determined in part by the gain (ISO) and by the degree to which the image area surrounding the blown highlight (on the horizontal axis) is in the shadows. A few photoelectrons sprinkled into the shadows as in your case are plainly visible. If you do not do any level adjustments or shadow lifting, you should not normally see this until you get above ISO 6400. </p>

<p>Mike - It seems that Nikon did fix this issue - on the D3s.</p>

<p>The D3 and D700 have essentially the same sensor. The D3s is an improvement over this sensor and it seems that they fixed the bloom issue in the sensor re-design.</p>

<p>I just got a chance to look at your NEF in Capture NX2 and it looks like Luke hit everything that's important to say (and I learned that it actually happens at every ISO setting). I've probably never noticed the blooming due to the fact that my night shots tend to be low ISO/long exposure.</p>

<p>RS</p>