Nikon D70

cl_ho2

Chris Ladoulis wrote:<br>

<i>"Canon: D60 Nikon: D100 Canon: 300D Nikon: D70 Is there a point to all this?"</i>

<p>Yes, the point is that it's good that there is competition, so that the prices are kept low and both companies are urged to develop ever newer and better cameras.

<p>Here's another link: <a href="http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70.shtml">http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70.shtml</a>

This camera will be: (you heard it first from me)

-same sensor as d100

-dumbed-down or reduced feature set of d100

-slower to write to CF and smaller buffer than d100

-not quite as fast to wake up and slight shutter lag but not bad

-slightly less quality body construction/seals

-available on time as announced instead of late as was d2h

-next D- camera out from nikon before d2x

-same price as the EOS rebel digital when it hits the market (by that time i'd say the Digital rebel will be selling everywhere for $800)

Nikon is trying to keep up with Canon - I'd say they are slipping. How many black lenses do you see at pro sports events? I love and use Nikon, have for years and years, but I worry...

here is the press release from Nikon jp site:

Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the development of the Nikon D70, a new lens-interchangeable digital SLR camera designed to deliver superb image quality and satisfying performance at a popular price users will find within reach. A new DX Zoom-Nikkor lens is being developed at the same time as a best match for the D70, and both products are scheduled to go on sale in the spring of 2004.

Development Background

Nikon forever changed the world of professional digital SLR cameras with the release of the Nikon D1 in September 1999. In constant pursuit of yet higher image quality and greater performance, the company followed with the introduction of the D1X and D1H, and then again with the release of the D2H at the end of November this year.

The range of Nikon digital SLR offerings was further expanded to reach the hands of enthusiasts and a broader audience in June 2002 when the D100 went on sale.

The size of the digital camera market has grown exponentially over these few years. This in turn has led to an increase in the number of customers expressing a desire to see Nikon release a D-SLR camera at a price setting that will better fit their personal budgets. Nikon has been advancing development of the D70 as the model perfectly suited to respond to this strong demand, aiming primarily at realizing a digital SLR camera that will win its place as the camera of choice for a wide range of users, from novices to the most serious and experienced enthusiasts.

Features

The image sensor continues the heritage of the Nikon DX Format (providing a picture angle approx. 1.5 times the focal length of a 35mm [135] format lens).

The Nikon D70 will inherit the Nikon F Mount, ensuring compatibility with AF Nikkor lenses already owned.

A new DX Zoom-Nikkor lens is being developed concurrently to deliver a focal length range optimized for use as the standard zoom lens for the Nikon D70.

People keep saying Nikon is slipping but I don't know...I've shot Nikon film cameras for many years, went to the 10D for digital, then bought the 300D for backup. Nikon and Canon have been at this for years, keeping a flagship camera and then dropping in a second tier of cameras for the amateur/advanced amateur shooters and that is exactly who benefits from it. Sure, there are plenty of Canon lenses at sporting events but I've been on plenty of fields and courts as a shooter and trust me, Nikon is right there with them. Anyway, so they got the D70 out a little later than the 300D. I'll bet it is priced right in there with the Rebel just as the 10D/D100 and the D1/1D and whatever alaphabet soup comes with them. The cameras keep getting better but the pissing contest stays the same.

Rick H.

"This camera will be: (you heard it first from me)......"

Well Mr Troll, I hear it from you but not the first time cause you happened to post the very same nonsense in the Nikon forum too.

"Nikon is trying to keep up with Canon - I'd say they are slipping. How many black lenses do you see at pro sports events? bla bla....."

I see a lot black lenses and its cold in the northern hemisphere here on Earth, how is it on Mars?

I couldn't agree more with the last post. These people that keep getting on and adding their "anti-Nikon" sillyness. Folks it's a camera company not a religen. (can't rember who said this first wasnt me but I agree with the following) "I cant waiit to see the nikon peeing on canon stickers on the back of cars." Nikon makes great cameras and other folks do too. I like the feel and quality of my nikons. And I use them to take pic's not find eternal salvation.

I just think its interesting how many people are judging the D70 even before the finalized specifications for it has been released, and before anyone (other then one of the NIKON R&D crew) has actually had a chance to pick it up and use it.

Just like so much other technology these days, its being crucified by internet before it even has a chance to shine.

Disclaimer : Grouchy

You know, I want to be excited, but I'm really not.

I've got three wonderful AF-S lenses, see, and I hate the fact I spent good, hard-earned money on these great pieces of glass and yet I will still have to deal with the blasted focal length multiplier if I go digital. This is literally the only thing that is preventing me from going to a digital SLR body. (Don't get me wrong, I love my F100)

I look at it this way. If Nikon is going to make me buy a whole new set of lenses just so I can have my 17mm be a 17mm, I'm going to sell all my Nikon gear and switch to Canon out of spite. Canon already has full-frame digital, if I'm not mistaken, and I fail to see any reasoning as to why Nikon can't, other than obstinance or bad marketing choices. If Nikon doesn't have full-frame by the end of next 2004, I'm a Canon user.

~Brian