Nikon D70 - No External Flash Sync?

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' started by mike king, Mar 8, 2004.

1. I'm new to portrait photography, and am shopping for a digital SLR. I was looking at the Nikon D70, but it appears that the specs state that it doesn't have an external flash sync? Does this mean I can only use a single flash in the hot shoe on top of the camera? I feel like I don't want to limit myself to that, since I'm interested in dviersifying my photography into areas such as portraits and weddings. /Mike

2. I took a look at the D70 specs and it appears that it does not have the flexibilty of using off camera flash or studio strobes.

3. ray

ray

You can buy a cheap Hotshoe-to-PC adapter that plugs into the hotshoe and gives you a PC connection for studio lights. You can pick up a cheap one at almost any pro store. B&H only has one expensive model but if you search for "hotshoe to pc adapter" you will find many out there. You don't have to buy a name brand either. They all work.

4. ray

ray

I took a look at the D70 specs and it appears that it does not have the flexibilty of using off camera flash or studio strobes.
    Not true. The iTTL pop-up flash can indeed control off camera flashes (like SB-600 or SB-800) wirelessly in TTL or you can always use the old-fashioned SC-17 (SC-29 now?) cables for off-camera flashes.
    As I mentioned in the above posting, a simple hotshoe-to-pc adapter allows use of studio strobe systems

5. I had the D70 in my hands two days ago. No external connection, so a hot shoe adapter is necessary. Fred

6. You need a hot shoe adapter with a PC (no I am not talking about a personal computer) sync port. Both Wein and Nikon make one. Costs about $20-40.00 as I best recollect. You could also trigger a studio type flash using a remote system like the LPA design Pocketwizard. Pocketwizard recievers are now being built into many flash generators and monolights from Balcar, Profoto, Dyna-Lite , Norman, and possibly others. if you use a Sekonic L-358, L-558 or L-608 meter you can adda pocketwizard transmitter module into the meter for about $25.00 and you will be completely sync cord free. This would make shooting portraits and weddings a lot less hassle and completely isolate the camera from any possibility of damage from sync voltage that is too high. (Most Nikons are rated for a safe sync voltage of 250V, but I haven't tested a D70 yet.)

7. No different from the D100. The D100 didn't have one either.

8. one advantage to a external pc connector-if the pc connection ever gets messed up-bent, throw it out buy a new one

9. Use the built in flash on the D70 to trigger your studio flashes. The built in flash of a D70 can be set to manual mode at 1/16 power. At this level, it won't have a noticible effect on the D70 battery life, it will keep up with the 3 frame/sec shooting rate of a D70 (if your studio flashes will), and it won't show up in pictures since it's 1/1000 the power of your studio flash output. In manual mode, there is no preflash, so it won't trigger the studio strobes "early". I'm amazed that people get upset because the camera doesn't force you to trip on a stinking cord!

10. Nikon makes a PC port: NIKON AS-15 TERM ADAPT F/ISO, for around $21.00 list price.

11. jbs

jbs

Every time I hear something about the D70 I want it less and less...;)...J

12. Just remember if you are using a D70 for weddings just don't charge anything.

13. Don't know why some of these people don't like the D70. I have it and it works great at weddings. It also works great in my studio when I use the AS-15. I normally process professionally, but even my commercial prints come out good with this camera. This camera also takes great pictures in low lighting when a flash is used.

14. I agree with you Mike, I too hate Nikon's decision to not include a PC jack on the camera. I want to use it like the way I use my F100 with the camera mounted in a stroboframe and use the SC-17 cord to fire my SB-800 flash under TTL control (BTW: I love the SB-800 strobe) & the pc jack triggering my radio slave controlled strobes. I use 2 other strobes - lumedyne's - firing into umbrellas triggered by a radio slave to provide more even/softer lighting & back lighting. I hate how Nikon is tying my hands & trying to force me to replace my 200 & 400 watt-sec professional strobes with these weak by comparison speedlights. Also - an SB-800 that is behind a bride, back lighting her, doesn't reliably fire because the sensor doesn't always detect the on camera strobe firing (that's another reason for using a radio slave). I love the creative control of iTTL, but why take away my other options over a $5 part that should be in the camera - Fuji & Canon 10D, & Kodak include them! I need them both, at the same time, not one or the other.