Nikon D70 Macro Setup Help Requested -- For Watch Photography

david.elliott

Hello,

First post on this forum. I am a beginner to the world of photography and am seeking some help in

putting together a macro setup on a budget of $500.

I did a quick search and it seems like this question has been asked several times before, but not

recently. I figured I would ask again in case new products can be incorporated into the setup. Hope

you dont mind.

Basically, I collect watches. I plan to mainly use the setup for watch photography, but may also

photograph plants, flowers, or small ornaments in the future. The goal will be to capture the dial work

of the watch as well as the movement via the exhibition back.

My camera is a Nikon D70 with the kit lens. I purchased it a couple years ago. I do not own a tripod,

lighting gear, external flash (or remote), etc. Just the D70 and kit lens.

At any rate, my budget is $500 max.

(1) A proper lens for macro photography (does not have to be Nikon - so long as it is compatible of

course!). The lens need not autofocus. I prefer manual focus.

(2) Tripod

(3) Lighting gear

(4) Any other equipment you deem necessary

---

For reference, in case it helps, here are some of my photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~david.elliott/LeLocle/

The "lightbox" consisted of several sheets of white paper and a single desk lamp. So, the lighting needs

some work. I used a stack of textbooks as my homemade tripod.

Side note: Comments on how to improve the photos are welcome and appreciated! The photos received

some work in Lightroom.

---

If you have any questions or need additional information, please let me know. Thank you.

-David

Your examples are pretty nice, considering your limitations on lens, lighting, etc.

A macro lens would make a difference.

Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, Tamron 90mm, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8.

Problem is, to buy new you will need all of your $500 budget to purchase just the lens.

Buying used can save you some money for a tripod (which is a must for this type of

shooting).

You could set up a light box rather inexpensively with some diffuser panels, a couple of

tungsten lamps, and such.

A tripod is a must. Plan on a used Bogen with a standard head to be from $100-$150.

There are cheaper choices, but a good tripod is a solid investment in gear, whether

shooting watches or landscapes, or whatever.

A tripod and dedicated macro lens. The 55mm AI from the previous post will not meter with your D70.

For the tripod, I'd recommend the Bogen/Manfrotto 190XB (aluminum) and Bogen/Manfrotto 804RC2 3-way pan and tilt head (this will set you back roughly $180).

As the dedicated macro, I'd suggest the Tamron di macro. Tamron is currently running a $90 rebate on the lens (expires 4/30), which puts the final cost of the lens at $360.

This puts you $40 above your budget, but it's well worth it to have some good stability and a very good third party macro lens..

All great comments and you deserve it. You web pages show that the photographer is part of the picture taking and not only the gear :-)

With this in mind I think you will have no problems getting the exposure right with your D70 and the 55mm f3.5 AI Nikkor lens. It is one of the sharpest lenses in the right focal length for your sujet and will out-resolve your sensor. You cannot go wrong with the Tamron either (that might be more helpfull with other more alive objects than watches) I just mention it to say that you can pick whatever occasion of the mentioned lenses comes up.

What is it that you don't like about the images you are shooting now?

You can easily accomplish your goal within your budget. There are many affordable lens choices. The attached shot was taken with Sigma's highly affordable (I paid around $200 used) 17-70mm macro lens.<div>00PAxd-42934084.jpg.d6444f757a0e2d52aeca25e738859831.jpg</div>

Thank you for all your responses so far. I really appreciate it.

///////

Ronald Moravec:

Do you have any recommendations for the "reflectors, diffusers, lights of your choice." I realize that these may not fit in my budget now, but I could perhaps purchase them later in

the year. I hadnt thought about using an extension tube but that seems like a good alternate avenue.

///////

BW Combs:

Thank you for your compliment. It means a lot ot me.

Do you have any specific recommendations for the lighting gear? I would prefer to buy new, so I may just have to purchase the lens now and then the tripod and lighting gear

several months down the line after I begin my summer job (I am still in law school).

Thank you for your lens suggestions. I havent had a chance to look at the Tokina yet, but both the Nikkor and the Tamron seem excellent. Everything on the internet seems to be

quite positive about those lenses. What are your thoughts on the Sigma MACRO 105mm F2.8 EX DG? It seems to run $370 - $400. Anybody else have any thoughts on that lens or

on the 50mm or 70mm versions?

I agree that a tripod is a solid investment. I dont want to break the bank on one, but I dont want to skimp either. Bogen seems to make good products in my price range so that is

great news!

I really like that photo of the Fossil. The watch really pops. Also, great contrast stitching on the strap. :)

///////

Cameron Price:

Thank you for the specific tripod and head suggestion. Those seem to fit the bill perfectly and I have written them down.

Unfortunately, I wont have the funds ready by the end of April so I will miss out the Tamron deal, but thank you for bringing it to my attention all the same.

I could swing the additional amount, it just means that I have to wait a few weeks so I can save up the difference. I also think it is worth it.

///////

Walter Schroeder:

Thanks! Very kind words. :D

Good to know that the lack of metering shouldnt really hinder the use of a 55mm f3.5 AI Nikkor lens. I was a bit disappointed when Mr. Price said it wouldnt meter, but seems like

it wont matter much in the end. :) I will need to look into the lens more this weekend. I need to think more about how often I will be photographing subjects other than watches

and take that into consideration.

///////

Michael Kohan:

Thank you for the tripod / head recommendation. I havent had an opportunity to look at it yet, but I will soon. Seems to be about ~$80 less expensive than the Bogen discussed

above.

///////

Elliot Bernstein:

Excellent photo of an excellent watch. Very cool!

I think the main problem I have with the current photos is that I had to heavily crop them. I would estimate that roughly 80% of the original photo was cropped out. With my current

lens I just couldnt get close to the watch. I ended up with a large swath on each side of the photo that was cropped out.

Second problem, my lighting was terrible. I had to fix it after the fact and it would be nice to get it right with the initial setup.

Really, with the inability to get in close and with the shoddy lighting I was unable to capture the dial work or the movement to my satisfaction. For example, I couldnt capture just

the '25 Jewels" on the movement or just the "Swiss Made" on the dial. I really want to be able to capture all the details and intricacies of the watch.

I think overall the photos are pretty good, but could pop a bit more. You'll note, that if you look around the edge of the Le Locle dial, there is a different dial pattern. In proper

lighting, it has a neat shimmer to it that I was unable to capture.

///////

I think that covers all the replies. Hope I didnt miss anything.

Once again, thank you for your help so far.

-David

You might consider simply using a "3/4T" nikon adapter on your kit lens. They are quite remarkable. Not to be confused with the other cheap diopters out there. I use a 3T or 4T (52mm filter thread) on my 18-55 kit lens quite often. I also have 55mm, 105mm, 200mm micros, 105mm Dine macro and 90mm tamron 2.5 macro. None of them are substantially better in image quality than the kit lens and a $35 diopter (at least for internet displays). Examples from 3T and 18-55 kit lens at http://www.pbase.com/arlon/1855_kit_lens_macro&page=all These where shot with a 3T and onboard flash.

Another consideration is using the freeware "CombineZM" that stacks several images to increase DOF. It adds the in focus portion of several images. Look at http://www.pbase.com/arlon/focus_experiment&page=all to see the 11 individual frames that went into the image below..

Large: http://www.pbase.com/arlon/image/92346818/original.jpg

Small: http://www.pbase.com/arlon/image/92346818/medium.jpg