Nikon D70 Green/Blurry pictures

davidc4470

Hi all

I have a really old D70 which until recently has worked perfectly however, this is currently the picture quality i am getting... I have done a full factory re-set so cant believe it is a setting issue. Is it worth getting it looked at or is it time to say goodbye?

DSC_0004.thumb.JPG.b760ff0893b477a20789f9947af19c0f.JPG

• Like 1

I had once a memory card problem, or maybe USB stick problem, which caused strange looks in the picture.

It seems that there is no error correction, or even detection, in JPEG, such that read errors give strange results.

My D70s, which I think still works but I don't use, pretty often would "forget" that it had a card in its slot.

Removing and re-inserting fixed that. Only one time did it do something wrong to the image, which

might have been about like yours. Because of the compression used, a small change in the file makes

a large change in the resulting image.

Try different cards, and see what happens.

My solution to the D70s was a used D200 for a good price, which I still use often enough.

Same batteries and CF cards made the upgrade easy. Never had a problem with its memory

cards or images. (Well, some images came out bad, but not the camera's fault.)

-- glen

I'd second the others:

Try a different card and/or different reader. On the reader part-if you're currently using an external reader and don't want to buy another, you can actually run a USB cable directly to the camera and the camera will appear as an external volume on your computer(Nikon killed that functionality a couple of generations ago, but the D70 still works that way). If you want to buy a reader and might upgrade to a more modern high resolution camera, I highly recommend a USB 3.0 card reader like the little "pop up" Lexar one that does CF and SD both since they make very fast work of moving big files off cameras.

If the problem persists through a card and a reader change, I'd suggest writing the body off. A D70 or D70s will cost you next to nothing now. If you want to make a pretty big leap in technology, I'd consider a D7200 something of a sweet spot-it's a modern-ish body(a few generations old now, but in the last ~10 years DSLRs have become a mature enough technology that most new bodies are evolutions of previous ones and not revolutionary) that actually has a greater range of lens compatibility than the D70.