Nikon D70 and flash

silviamc

<p>I have a Nikon D70 and the flash pops up during daylight shots when in auto mode but not in any other mode. I have had it serviced but the service team could find no fault. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and did you find a reason for this and a sulution.<br>

Silvia McCormack</p>

<p>Once you get out of the automatic modes, Nikon is assuming that you want to exert some control over what the camera is doing. If you're in, say, Aperture Priority mode, or Shutter Priority mode, or Manual ... it's likely that you have a specific reason for doing so. So, the camera's software is at that point NOT deploying the flash automatically, because it's staying out of your way. If you want the flash to provide some fill while also being more in control of the camera using a non-cruise-control exposure setting... well, just pop the flash up manually. This is very much by design.</p>

<p>Thanks Matt. During broad daylight with lots of light the flash shouldn't pop up hence the concern. If for example I am using any other of the settings eg sport or scenic with the same aperture and f stop the flash doesn't pop up. It only does it in auto mode which is a little puzzling and annoying.</p>

<p>The flash should only pop up on its own when the mode you're in is a fully automated one. When you start making specific decisions on your own about how you want the camera to behave, the camera's software is assuming that you're putting thought into it, and that you'll also be putting thought into whether or not you want the flash to be part of the exposure.<br /><br />Take the "sports" setting, for example. The little pop-up flash doesn't have anywhere near the horsepower needed to make any difference whatsoever while shooting, say, a soccer game from the sidelines. Further, the shutter speed on the camera has to be slowed down to or below a certain speed in order to match up with the fact the flash is firing... which may defeat the purpose of using the "sports" mode in the first place, because you usually want the highest shutter speed possible to freeze action.<br /><br />The point is: once you start choosing different behaviors for the camera, it means you're starting to tell the camera how you want the exposure to take place. The decision to use the flash, or not, is a creative and technical one. Only you can know if it's appropriate in given situation - and in many situations, it's very NOT appropriate. And since it only takes a split second to just reach up and raise the flash, it's actually a good thing that the camera isn't forcing you to use it once you're getting more involved in the decision making.</p>

<p>Silvia did you try a reset?</p>

<p>(I used to own a D70 but the funny thing is I never used it in program mode so I would not be able to tell if this is normal or not. It does not sound normal. I can follow your assumption that in bright daylight the flash should stay put. )</p>

<p><strong>Anybody still own a D70?</strong></p>

<p>Nothing wrong with your D70. Nikon service already told you that.</p>

<p>In Auto mode the flash pops up when needed. In order to disable this flash use a Landscape setting instead of Auto and you will get auto exposure without the flash, but you can add flash if you pop it up your self.</p>

<p>This annoying flash feature was disabled in higher grade cameras.</p>

<p>The internal flash will not pop up in P, A, S or M mode.<br>

<br /> The other scene modes assumes that you want the camera to do the thinking for you so it may pop up when it think it is needed (depending on what scene mode you have selected).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There S/B a setting in the menu for the lowest/highest shutter speed allowed before your flash automatically pops up. I don't remember which menu it's nested in, but, a review of the camera's manual should be all it takes. Good shooting!</p>

<p>Thanks for your support on this matter. I live in Melbourne, Australia and just got up to a sunny Suday and apologise for the lag time in responding.<br>

Elliot and Dave, the flash pops up about 66% of the time even on 40 degree temperature days without a cloud in the sky when a flash isn't needed. (this is the annoying part) and as Walter hinted, it does not feel normal.<br>

To get over the issue I have been avoiding the automatic mode and using other modes. Frank's suggestion works i.e. use it in landscape mode and the flash doesn't pop up. When the problem first occurred, I experimented by getting the apperture setting and f stop reading in the automatic mode when the flash popped up and replicating these settings for example in landscape mode, sport mode, portrait mode for example. Using these modes with the same aperture and f stop the flash did not pop up. Hence I assumed what was happening in the automatic mode was not normal, I reset the camera a number of times as suggested by Walter and eventually had it serviced.<br>

I am still experiencing the problem hence my action to seek advice from the experts on the Nikon Forum. Thanks for your advice it is very much appreciated.<br>

Cheers<br>

Silvia</p>

<p>.<br>

Cheers<br>

Silvia</p>

<p>The reason the camera thinks you need flash is not because it is too dark but because the difference between bright and dark is too large and the camera can't capture it all.</p>

<p>Adding flash will add light to your scene but since your eyes behave in a nonlinear manner the added light will make a larger impact on the dark parts (shadows) than on the bright parts. Basically the flash is brightening the shadows or put another way, the flash fills in the shadows with light and the technique is called fill flash. Pro photographers use flash all the time on sunny days.</p>

<p>All cameras that have scene modes and fully automatic (green mode) have an internal flash and will behave the same way. So all Nikon D40,D40X,D50,D60,D70,D70S,D80,D90 will do the same thing.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Aha... that sounds logical and could be the issue. I guess since the camera in automatic mode doesn't know whether I am taking a shot of a mountain far away or of a boat close by, the flash pops up irrespective of the distance of the object to the camera. So if I am taking a shot of a far away object, it would be best to use landscape rather than automatic. Does that sound logical? So the use of automatic mode s limited unless you do want fill in flash of the darker objects close by.<br>

Silvia</p>

<p>Sylvia,<br>

You don't have a problem. In auto mode, the camera is just guessing that it would be a good idea to fill in the deep shadows it thinks it's seeing.<br>

Forget the all-auto (green) mode, and when you want the flash, pop it out manually, There's a little button for this, just to the left of the pop-up. If you're not sure if you want the flash, try a test shot.</p>

<p>Enjoy the D70...mine's been going strong for 4 years now.</p>

<p>Cheers, mate</p>

<p>Scot Steele</p>

<p> </p>