Nikon D600

frederick_lampa

<p>I'm thinking of getting into FULL Frame Camera.Do you think it's WORTH to buy now a Nikon D600 and thinking/hoping of using it in the next 5 yrs.<br>

I have now a NIKON D300s.I'm not a Profesional PHOTOgrapher.I'm just doing it the profesional way even it's just my HOBBY.I am just doing WEDDING,Party PHOTO shots _part time.I'm using the<br>

NIKON 85f1.4D;70-200f2.8VR2;17-55F2.8D and a third party 8mmfish_eye lens w/ it.<br>

Hoping you can help me decide if I'll go for it NOW,or wait for the camera's price to go down.Do you think the price is WORTH for the camera.I just don't want to go for D800 for its size/bulk and price.<br>

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP !<br>

rIC ANGELes lampa</p>

Hi Frederick. Only you can decide whether a D600 is worthwhile for hobby use - it's certainly more capable than the D300s (except

autofocus), but whether you should get it depends on how you feel limited by your existing camera. Bear in mind you'll probably want to

replace your 17-55 for full-frame use, so factor that into your budget; the effect of an 8mm fish-eye is very different on full frame, too.

By the way, you seem to have a broken caps lock key. Please don't SHOUT.

<p>You're absolutely Right! I am not educated enough to be more of a speaker than a builder! _for only graduate of MAPUA.I have some problem w/ CapsLock ! It seems ,its becoz of that,I am Not showing,I'm emphasizing something! Also,I didn't know,w/ my low knowledge,I didn't know the difference of emphasizing and shouting ! Sorry for my low IQ.<br>

With the 17-55,I just had thought of using it as a wide lens w/ my D300s.I might have been misinformed again,that it's the best lens for DX.<br>

About the 85f1.4d and 70-200VR2,I think this is the most I can afford.As I have said ,I am not a professional photographer,for I was also informed that I can only be called one when I'm making money out of it as a living.<br>

Thank You for responding on my low grade post.But,only if you don't mind,I need more help regarding the D600,and not on my IQ level.</p>

<p> </p>

Sorry Frederick - I didn't mean to insult your IQ, just pointing out netiquette (I'm trained to think of caps as shouting, and I have a headache,

so I'm sensitive just now). As Elliot says, D600 prices fell very quickly after launch, so if the question is whether you should wait for a future

bargain, I'd say no - buy now and you probably won't lose out much. If you're keeping your D300, the 17-55 is a perfectly good lens - it just

doesn't have full frame coverage, so you'll be without a normal zoom that you can use on the D600 to get 24mp. If you don't need one, that's

fine - I just didn't want you to think the 17-55 would still do its job as your other lenses will.

If you don't need the frame rate or 51-point autofocus of the D300s, I'm sure you'll be happy with the D600 - if, of course, you'd rather have it

than the money!

Sorry Frederick - I didn't mean to insult your IQ, just pointing out netiquette (I'm trained to think of caps as shouting, and I have a headache,

so I'm sensitive just now). As Elliot says, D600 prices fell very quickly after launch, so if the question is whether you should wait for a future

bargain, I'd say no - buy now and you probably won't lose out much. If you're keeping your D300, the 17-55 is a perfectly good lens - it just

doesn't have full frame coverage, so you'll be without a normal zoom that you can use on the D600 to get 24mp. If you don't need one, that's

fine - I just didn't want you to think the 17-55 would still do its job as your other lenses will.

If you don't need the frame rate or 51-point autofocus of the D300s, I'm sure you'll be happy with the D600 - if, of course, you'd rather have it

than the money!

<p>Frederick,<br>

You have to check for yourself if the D600 is the right camera for you. None of us can tell you that.<br>

In which ways do you feel the D300s is holding you back now? Which specific aspects of a full frame camera do you think are worth spending a lot of extra $$ for you? Full frame is not necessarily better than APS-C, and not the 'holy grail' of DSLRs. Since you'd be better off replacing the 17-55 as well if you go to a FF camera, the total upgrade cost is quite considerable. Getting a D600 first and still use the DX lens on it (which I imagine is your most used lens), to me, it seems the wrong way of spending money.<br>

If the main reason to upgrade is better high ISO performance, the D7000 might be worth considering too. Saves a lot of money, seriously good camera too.<br>

<br>

Second point is the D600 body size and weight - it is smaller than the D300, with slightly different ergonomics. You might like it better, you may not. I've had the D300, and my experience with the D7000 (which is similar size and layout as the D600) makes me believe I would not like the D600 as much. The size of the D800 is similar to the D300, instead. But this is something you can really only try for yourself in a store.</p>

<p>Is the price right? It's a lot of camera for relatively little money. It might get cheaper but speculations like what Michael wrote are speculations... you might end up waiting a long time. It will get cheaper over time (as they all do) - you have to decide how long you want to wait.</p>

<p>Thanks for the Reply !<br>

I've tested it and liked it! I'm not thinking of using the 17-55 w/ it for I just need it w/ my D300s.<br>

I also wanted to use the most out of my 85f1.4 & 70-200f2.8VR2(that's what I had thought of FX) !<br>

I am just planning to keep the D300s for the 17-55 and for focus point/speed capability.<br>

I just wanted to hear the other's experience w/ this D600<br>

Thank You again!</p>

Just stumbled over the thread, so I am a little later... If you do weddings, even if only occasionally, the D600 is a no-brainer to me: low

light, cropping, metering, in all of these points the D600 is worlds better than the D300(s). I own both, kept the D300s as backup.

<p>Frederick, the D600 is superior to our D300 in low light and because it fully utilizes your FX lenses. You have the 85 and 70-210... For me these are too long for shooting people on DX. Probably just fine on FX.</p>

<p>And, the wide angles... For me, it's so nice to have my 20 f/2.8 be very wide again, not just 30mm equivalent.</p>

<p>When to buy? Buy now, the prices are very good. On the other hand, if you are thinking of a year or two out in the future, prices will be lower (or newer cameras better) by then. With digital bodies, only buy what you will utilize now.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>From what you already have it sounds like you have money, and it sounds like you're enthusiastic. There are those big discounts going on right now, so I say, what the heck, just do it. Just make sure you like the camera. It's going to have a somewhat different feel from your D300, because it's derivative of the D7000 body more than anything else. The current model that will feel most like your D300 is a D800, so compare the two. The major sellers have pretty crazy deals on refurb D800s right now, and if you subscribe to the Adorama VIP program for around $8 and then buy a Nikon refurb Adorama will provide a 1 year warranty.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The major sellers have pretty crazy deals on refurb D800s right now, and if you subscribe to the Adorama VIP program for around $8 and then buy a Nikon refurb Adorama will provide a 1 year warranty.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Andy, exactly what kind of deals you are referring to? I see $2649 for a refurbished D800 at Adorama: <a href="http://www.adorama.com/INKD800ER.html">http://www.adorama.com/INKD800ER.html</a><br>

That is merely a $150 discount from a new D800 after the current $200 rebate (roughly $3000 - $200 = $2800).</p>

<p>And the OP already said from the beginning:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just don't want to go for D800 for its size/bulk and price.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>although he could be flexible about that. The D600 is actually very close in size to the D300, but the controls are fairly different.</p>

<p>Sorry, I look at the wrong link: <a href="http://www.adorama.com/INKD800R.html">http://www.adorama.com/INKD800R.html</a></p>

<p>But that bring back the question why the price spread between a new D800 ($2796 with some camera bag and memory card) and refurb: $2299. That is about a $500 spread or close to 25%. That is extremely high and it makes me wonder whethere there are indeed a lot of D800 returns due to the AF issue and whether those are indeed properly fixed. Unforunately, I have had very bad experience with refurb Nikon products.</p>

<p>I got the D800 refurb and it's perfect, and my father got his D7000 as a refurb early last year and it's also been perfect. I think mileage must vary, though I've never seen a proper study of defect rate of new vs. refurb items. I'd only buy them from good dealers with reliable return policies, and make sure to use them thoroughly during the return time frame.</p>

<p>The D800 refurb came in a gray box with "Nikon Reconditioned Product" marks, neatly packed like they do new items. I have to assume that means it's been back to Nikon or an authorized shop, and I don't think they'd let cameras with focus point problems back out without correcting them - but the price difference (and the discounts on new FX cameras) does make it seem like they must be overstocked now.</p>

<p>Andy, concerning the D800's AF, the issue is whether there are "problems" is kind of a gray area. On this forum, there have been a few people who thought their D800 was ok, and then it was not ok, and then it was ok and finally it was not .... In some cases, it is not a clear-cut, black and white issue, and some have gone back to Nikon for warranty repair multiple times.</p>

<p>I am sure Nikon does not intentionally let defective products out to the market because most likely they will come back for warranty repair, thus casuing Nikon more money. However, when whether the original repair can be questionable, buying a refurb D800 can potentially lead to a lemon. It is a matter of chance and a matter of how much testing you perform promptly.</p>

<p>The huge price spread clearly indicates that there is an over supply of refurb D800 out there, fairly abnormal for a model that has been out for only 9 months.</p>

<p>To ALL of you guys,THANK YOU VERY MUCH for I am learning more from You!<br>

Sometimes it's harder to decide when you know more,but it's a better way to decide.<br>

Thanks again, and may ALL of You have a...</p>

<p>MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS! HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A BLESSED ONE !<br>

C H E E R S ! ! !</p>

<p>A "Refurbished" might not actually be a refurb.<br>

In many cases, especially in electronics like computers, printers cameras etc., in all likelihood you're getting a brand new product.<br>

Many manufacturers have taken to selling new products under the refurb banner when sales are slow. When the economy is bad and sales are suffering, rather than shutting down production lines and laying off people, and/or discounting prices companies have become more strategic about it all.<br>

They've learned that once prices are discounted, they can be very difficult to raise again. So rather than dealing with having to pay higher unemployment rates due to layoffs, and having to fight to raise prices again down the road, many keep their lines running and rather than using direct discounts per se, offer the "reburb" units, while continuing to protect their established MSRP.</p>