Nikon D600 advisory

sergio_ortega7

<P>

Nikon issued this advisory on the D600's dust/oil issues (<A HREF="http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18180">http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18180</A>). After using my

new D600 for two months, I haven't noticed any sensor dust/oil issues. Still, I worry. DPR posted some before-and-after test shots in

their D600 review, illustrating the build-up of dust/oil spots on their D600's sensor and the results after having the sensor cleaned by the local Nikon service center. So, I decided to perform some quick tests of my own: I made numerous exposures with flash of several different sheets of

white paper, cranked up the contrast and sharpening in post-processing and then inspected the images at 100% on my retina display

Mac. I saw nothing even remotely close to DPR's "before" test shot. And what few tiny spots I did see differed from exposure to

exposure, indicating the tiny marks were on the various sheets of paper, not on the camera's sensor. I can only conclude my D600 is not affected. Question: If I perform additional tests in the future, can anyone suggest a more effective test shot procedure to check for this potential problem?

</P>

<blockquote>

<p>After using my new D600 for two months, I haven't noticed any sensor dust/oil issues. Still, I worry.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, if you haven't noticed any problem after two months, maybe there is nothing to worry about.</p>

<p>If you capture a uniform white or light blue background at f22, the chance is that you will find some dust on any DSLR. It certainly doesn't hurt to check your D600 carefully, but there is also no need to fall victim to internet urban legend either.</p>

<p>There are many existing threads on this topic. In case you need to clean your sensor, using a blower or do wet cleaning, there is plenty of info on those procedures on the web.</p>

<p>Joe As I am sure you know a flat bright cloud cover will work just as well. All that is really needed is a subject with no detail that is bright enough to be able to stop down. In my experience most folks go way overboard obsessing about dust. In most of the environments I shoot in dust is a way of life. Cleaning the sensor on my cameras is something I do only when I need to</p>

Nikon's recent advisory doesn't make clear whether this dust/oil issue is a more of a problem with the D600 than their other models. I haven't

experienced the problem with my D600, but then I never experienced any of the various issues reported by others on photo forums

with my D70, D300 or D700. It seems every new model's introduction is immediately followed by complaints about something or other

from early buyers. I don't pay too much attention to such internet horror stories; I just buy the damned things, use them and hope for the best.

I can deal with the usual problems encountered in dusty environments, but many of the complaints of "oil spots on the sensor" would lead

one to believe someone at the factory squirted too much lubricant into the initial D600s during assembly. What the hell do I know?

<blockquote>

<p>Could the D600 dust/oil problems be related to thier made in Thailand origin? Would there be a problem if they were made in Japan?</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />And could the D800's left AF problem be related to their made in Japan origin? Would there be a problem if they were made in Thailand?</p>

<p>The fact of the matter is that Nikon Thailand has made lots and lots of different bodies from the D300, D7000, D200 .... None has had so much publicity for any dust problem. Meanwhile, Nikon has been using the Mutli-CAM 3500 AF module from the D3, D3S, D3X, D700, D300, D300S ... for years; some are made in Japan and some are made in Thailand. Maybe since the D800 has 36MP so that any focus inaccuracy is far more obvious, but otherwise, who knows why an established AF system would suddenly has so many problems.</p>

• 3 months later...

The dust and oil problem is real. It's not exaggerated nor a legend. I tested a brand new Nikon D600 with a brand new

50mm f/1.8G lens yesterday after about 20 shots. The dirt was there and most of it was on the upper left side of the

sensor. It looked really bad and this was a new camera!

<p>The issue troubles me. Here is why: I don't see how shooting any lens at f/22 is going to show spots on any sensor. The lens and its aperture have nothing to do with imaging the sensor spots. You are not shooting a picture of the sensor! Check the sensor be taking off the lens, aiming the camera at a blank wall, and making an exposure that shows the wall as slightly off white. Then blow up the image an inspect for spots. Also, I have read in many threads about how the spot problem is created by mirror slap, or oil in the "mirror box." This is BS, and I will tell you why: When making a picture, the shutter is depressed, the mirror flips up out of the way, and the shutter curtain flicks across the sensor, exposing it. Then the mirror comes down. The sensor is protected by the shutter curtain at all times except during the moment of exposure, when the mirror action is already completed. Tell me how any oil is going to be splattered onto the sensor. Sounds like yet another issue of amateur user interface, e.g. sloppy technique. I think the issue is complete BS, and have had knowledgable independent repair people tell me the same.</p>