Nikon D5500 vs Canon T6i For Video and Mic Input??

todd_curtis2

<p>I am wanting to get a DSLR to use for video for my Video Blog and How To Videos. <br />IS the Nikon D5500 vs Canon T6i better for video? I need the best for a MIC to plug in? Will I me able to use my USB mixer plugged into my computer than into the camera on the Nikon and/ or the Canon? Or is there a better way to plug my mixer in? I want to have the best sound with the video. <br>

What is the best camera for this task?</p>

<p>You can plug any audio device into the mic input on a camera - but you may need an attenuator in-line in order to reduce that signal strength (coming out of your mixer) to a level that won't be too hot for the camera's mic input. And no, your USB mixer won't work, because it doesn't have an audio output - it's designed to provide its output as data, over the USB connection to your computer. So you'll need a more traditional mixer for that purpose.</p>

<p>Sync in post is a 2 minute exercise unless your videos are hours long running without time codes to sync between audio and video, otherwise the drift will be negligible. </p>

<p>Plugging the mixer's output into the camera's mic input is not the desired approach if you're after quality - the S/N ratio will suffer if done incorrectly. </p>

<p>Either camera will work fine; your choice will tie you into a system from the same brand as you expand on lenses and accessories, so choose accordingly. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Syncing is so easy these days. Whether you use Adobe Premiere or Apple Final Cut Pro. But, either camera will do. You may want to get something like the Zoom H4N or something similar. Tascam makes a pretty reasonable mic for about $100, but the Zoom will allow you to make adjustments on the device.<br>

But since you already have the PV6 (and I'm assuming a microphone) just use the output of the mixer into the camera. L/R 1/4 inch out to 1/8" stereo in on the camera. Use channel 1 or 2 on the mixer since you have gain control on those. The PV6 isn't USB, so what were you referring to?</p>

<p>Audio quality from a DSLR should be more than adequate for a YouTube video, and either of the two cameras you're talking about are probably about the same. Even if your mixer is USB, it should still have an analog audio output. If that output is mike level, it can go directly into the camera. If not you will need an attenuator. You'll need the proper cable in either case. <a href="http://www.markertek.com">www.markertek.com</a> is a broadcast supply house that has every conceivable cable and have a lineup of cables to connect to DSLR cameras in particular.<br /><br />That said, IMHO I would highly recommend that you not buy any DSLR for video and buy a video camera instead. I've shot both stills and video professionally and can tell you that the way you work with a video camera is almost completely different than the way you work with a still camera. DSLRs are very popular for video right now, but I find it much easier to work with a video camera. The way you hold the camera (preferably over the shoulder) is better on a video camera, the controls are in the right place, the sound quality is good enough there's no need to shoot double system, etc. At least go take a look at some video cameras and see the difference for yourself before you spend any money.</p>

<p>Here are the specs of my Mixer. Is the mixer able to do analog output?</p>

<ul >

<li>Channels 3 and 5 with stereo line inputs</li>

<li>3-band EQ on channels 1-2</li>

<li>LED clip, signal</li>

<li>1 effects send with stereo output</li>

<li>1 stereo effects returns</li>

<li>Control room output</li>

<li>phantom power, tape to control room and tape to mix assignments</li>

<li>Stereo Output 1/4 inch balanced connectors</li>

<li>Rugged console design</li>

<li>USB port</li>

<li>4 RQ™ (reference-quality) low noise microphone inputs</li>

<li>Weight Unpacked: 5.29 lb(2.4 kg)</li>

<li>Weight Packed: 7.05 lb(3.2 kg)</li>

<li>Width Packed: 4.25"(10.795 cm)</li>

<li>Height Packed: 15.25"(38.735 cm)</li>

<li>Depth Packed: 10.25"(26.035 cm)</li>

</ul>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Is the mixer able to do analog output?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>The easiest way is to tap the headphone output from the mixer via a <a href="http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Jack-Adapter-black/dp/B00142BZSY">1/4" stereo to 3.5mm stereo jack adapter</a>, then connect to the camera with an appropriate cable. </p>

<p>Set your levels carefully and it should work fine. </p>

<p>If your inputs are primarily voice, just keep in mind that the closer a mic is to the speaker's mouth, the better it's going to sound - a cheap mic closeup is going to sound better than a $1,000 mic 6' away. <br>

</p>

<p>Peavey emailed me back very quickly with this:<br>

<em>You could possibly use the Main outputs, the Control Room outputs or, the effects send output.</em><br clear="none" /><em> All outputs are analog except the USB.</em><br clear="none" /><em> I think people sometimes use a transformer adapter to go into a camera. This is for ground isolation to prevent hum. Also, camera inputs are typically for microphones so they are very sensitive. You'll want to start with the mixer output very low as not to overdrive the camera input.</em><br>

Will I need a transformer?<em><br /></em></p>

<p>The control room and stereo outputs are both line level analog. Go to the <a href="http://www.markertek.com/">www.markertek.com</a> web site and find their phone number. Call them, tell them the model of the mixer you have and what camera you are connecting it to and they will provide you with the correct cable.<br /><br />You don't want to use the headphone output. It is a higher level, amplified signal, significantly stronger than these line level outputs.<br /><br />With all due respect, Todd, if you don't already know that these outputs are analog, doing a four-mike mix is probably going to be a bit of a stretch of your audio knowledge. Have you ever used a mixer before?</p>