Nikon D5200 Autofocus or shutter release is not working

hoi_kwong

<p>My friend purchased new D5200 with 18-55 and 55-200 kit lens package online. <br>

From day 1 after receiving his package, the autofocus function or shutter release is not working unless it was set to manual focus. <br>

I put his two kit lens on my old D300, no problem. I added my 18-200 zoom lens on his new D5200, either the autofocus or shutter release was not working. I could press the shutter half down but it never triggers the mirror or taking picture. I reset the camera but no luck. <br>

Was something wrong with the electrical connection between lens and body of this brand new package or something wrong with the menu setting ? <br>

Return to online store is the only option ? </p>

<p>Thanks. <br>

</p>

<p>It could be the connectors in the lens mount that are dirty (and hence do not communicate properly with any lens). But if the camera is still as good as new, I'd contact the dealer right away to ensure it can be returned and exchanged as soon as possible, especially as in most countries the consumer laws protect you from "DOA" articles for a limited time. It shouldn't be necessary to clean a brand new camera.</p>

<p>The camera is obviously set to AF release priority, so that if the lens won't find focus the camera refuses to fire. The only issue then is that AF isn't working, which could be a contact problem between camera and lens, or something a bit more serious.</p>

<p>Check that the "AE/AF-Lock" button hasn't been set to exclusively operate focus in menu item f2 (button function = AF-ON). If so the shutter button half-press focus is disabled, and focus can only be initiated by pressing the AE/AF-Lock button.</p>

<p>A two-button reset of the camera <em>should</em> have cleared that function, but it's worth double checking.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>The camera is obviously set to AF release priority, so that if the lens won't find focus the camera refuses to fire. The only issue then is that AF isn't working, which could be a contact problem between camera and lens, or something a bit more serious.</p>

<p>Check that the "AE/AF-Lock" button hasn't been set to exclusively operate focus in menu item f2 (button function = AF-ON). If so the shutter button half-press focus is disabled, and focus can only be initiated by pressing the AE/AF-Lock button.</p>

<p>A two-button reset of the camera <em>should</em> have cleared that function, but it's worth double checking.</p>

You mean focus priority.

Nikon D5200 Manual suggests following solution to fix the issue:

• First, Remove Its Battery.
  • Remove the Bottom Base Cover Plate
  • Removed All Screw Holding the Base Cover
  • Proceed Removing All Screws in a Sysmetic Clockwise Order
  • Remove All Screws and Aside It on a Piece of Tissue Paper
  • Repeat About 5 Cycles.
  • Apply New Grease Between Gears
  • Spray a Little at a Time & Move Th Gears
  • Move the Gears 5 Cycles to Spread Out Grease
  • Insert Battery & Test Before Closing Up Cover.
  • Close Back Base Cover & Have Fun!

Real helpful.