Nikon D50

I am considering the Nikon D50 (after months of shopping...) and I

am a little hesitant still because I am not a photography pro by any

means and wonder if this camera will be easy to use.

Should I forego a DSLR because I don't know enough about photography

and cameras. I am wanting to take a class but can't do that for a

few more months. I want to be able to pick up my camera and get a

shot if my kids are in the middle of a good photo op and am afraid

that with this buy I will be fiddling with conrtols and miss the

opportunity???

Thanks for any advice!

The D50 has lots of modes, some of which let you use it like a point and shoot camera. So it can be as instantly available as you want. Quicker than a point and shoot in fact because less shutter lag, and faster write time. On the other hand, it has manual modes, so when you get around to your class you won't feel you're outgrowing your camera. And it is capable of very high image quality. Less portable, though, if you want something that's with you all the time for those out of the blue moments.

I suppose the biggest question you need to answer is do you want to exchanges lenses. DSLR allows for quality lenses from 7mm to 600mm+. Some lenses are cheap, less than $100 to $10,000+. When I first bought my D70, I was surprised at the cost of lenses, so I got a two $100 and $150. I have replaced one and will replace the other soon, and I have gotten a few more. If you dont need to exchange lenses, then I would save your money and go with an all in one camera. There are many great ones out there. But if you want to get a little close, a little wider, etc, then you are out of luck. With a DSLR you can just spend more money and get another lens. As far as easy to use, it has an "auto" mode that does a real good job. I hoped I have helped and not hurt, Frank.

<DD>You will love your D50 as it was made specifically for families & children. I think half the fun of photography is learning. With the D50, you'll have the tool you need to develop your skills. You'll appreciate the added functionality of the D50, whether taking a few snapshots of your children, or composing their portraits. <BR>

Goodluck!<BR>

Jimi<BR><BR>

P.S. You'll also need nice lenses my friend!

<p>Every SLR that I've seen can be just as easy to use as any point and shoot - usually easier because they respond faster. I've never used the D50, but I imagine it's the same with it. While in doubt, just keep it in full auto mode.</p>

<p>I would agree that if you plan on using it in full auto for the rest of your life, you'd do as well with a P&S. But, it sounds to me like you will soon be moving beyond that.</p>

<p>I have to disagree that you will <i><b>need</i></b> some nice lenses, too. Just get the kit lens for now. You can always sell it on ebay later if you decide to upgrade.</p>

<em>Should I forego a DSLR because I don't know enough about photography and cameras</em>

<br /><br />

No, because when you do know enough your camera will be right there (BTW FWIW I own a D50).

<br /><br />

<em>I am wanting to take a class</em>

<br /><br />

Not that I'm against classes but you don't need one, really. However, if you're a slow learner and/or you don't know anyone who can take some time to give you a hand then you can't really lose by taking one.

<br /><br />

What Aaron said: seconded.

The camera will be very easy to use. No worries there. At the beginning, you can set up the camera so that it makes virtually all the decisions for you. You'll be able to point the camera at the kids and get a shot ... and that camera will be faster and more responsive than just about any point and shoot digicam you can buy.

However, and this is my real reason for posting here, I feel strongly that if you're interested, you absolutely *should* take a class.

A few years ago, as an already (ahem -:)) mature adult, I took an introductory photography class at a nearby community college campus -- just 3 Friday evenings and two Saturday a.m. field trips.

It was among the best and most worthwhile classes I've ever taken. For me, the real fun began when I (i)started to learn and think about composition, rather than simply "bullseyeing" my subject in the middle of the frame; and (ii) began making a number of the other decisions for myself, rather than conceding all of them to the camera.

A DSLR won't be harder to use in Program mode, and it will be more responsive than most point and shoot cameras. The only disadvantage for me is that it's larger, so you can't put it in a pocket. The D50 even has a "Child" mode, so I think it will fit your needs very nicely. Many point and shoots are too slow to capture facial expressions, but the D50 and other DSLRs approach mechanical film cameras in quick operation with AF and shutter lag.

I too am a novice photographer and intend to take an intro class to help my technique and as well spent much time contemplating which camera I wanted to buy. I can honestly say get the camera you want the first time to save money in the long run. Many a camera of mine has been sold on the internet because I settled thinking this camera does everything I need it to do. I finally now have a D50 with kit lens as well as the 28mm-105mmnikkor and I love the combination. I can still take point and shoot for the pictures I do not want to mess up such as family gatherings but I also have the versatility to learn real photography at my own pace.