I had heard that Nikon is going to release a camera called a D5! Its

supposed to be full frame 16 megapixel CCD sensor, weather proofing

and all the features of the D1's, its modeled after the F5, and heres

the best part... where the rewind knob would be on F5 the D5 has a

mini power generator! If you're in the field and your batterys going

dead you can squeeze about 20-50 more shots out of it by cranking it

50 times. Also its supposed to have an air ionizer which repels dust

away from the chip. If anyone else has heard about this please

respond cause this sounds too good to be true!

Yeah, I heard about it. It's not a D5, it's a D2. It comes with instant internet access and a panic button linking the user with the photo.net critique forum. When the batteries are dead, you can still turn some kind of wheel that will give you two arbitrary numbers appearing in the aperture readout for aesthetic and originality.

It will also work with only pre-AI lenses. But it will focus automatically via a motorized ring you clamp on the lenses focusing ring.

Sounds like they'll need another body then, for higher speeds. 16mp won't allow that right now. Good thing though, can you imaging 7fps at 16mp? Yikes!

You guys completely forgot to mention the "search and shoot" feature. When put on a special tripod with motors, it will move independently searching for perfect compositions with perfect lighting. All you have to do is push a button and a few hours later the camera will show up at your door with a CF card full of images perfect in every way.

the most amazing feature of the D5 (realease date May 2003) is that it will sport a connection for your cellular that will allow you to transmit your files without a computer anywhere in the world... laptop companies stock is falling cause of this. Save that money for an extra lens is the common advice. It is nikon purpose too to make this camera afordable, in the range of a F100... I really regret having bought one 2 months ago, but hey anyone heard something about an exchange policy?

In response to the hypothetical F6 question "what more could you want over the F5":

For it to be all mechanical, and the size/weight of an F2? Maybe some newer alloy to cut the weight, and the shutter fires at all speeds without batteries.

"what more could you possibly want out of a film body that the F5 doesn't have?"

I want the focusing indicators to light up in red like the F100 does. I want it to be lighter than it is now. More like the F100. I want it to focus as fast in low light as the F100 does. Basically they should just change the name of the F100 to F5.