not good than point & shoot camera). I am judging from the pictures that I

have uploaded into my computer. Most of time I used Auto setting. Tonight I am

going for B'Day party of 5 year old with task of taking pictures. Kit for the

camera came with 18-55mm and 55-200mm f/4-5 DX VR zoom lens. Plus I am going

to borrow a flash from friends since party is indoor. Please suggest some

quick setting I can do on camera so I can take good pictures and what I can do

after taking pictures before giving out to friend. I really appreciates your

help. Thanks! - Hetal Shah

Just any flash isn't going to help you as it won't be compatible with your D40x. You need a Nikon SB-800, 600 or 400 to be completely compatible. You may be able to use the flash in manual or non-TTL auto, but it may not even be safe to use on your camera. What was "not so great" about your vacation photos? Maybe with a little instruction, you can use the D40x with its built in flash.

The best tip I have for photo'ing kids is to get down on their level. So many adults just stand and shoot down, and this is all wrong. Sit on the floor, kneel, whatever. Get lower. The pop-up flash on your camera should do OK out to about 12 feet. Eventually you might consider either the SB-400 or the SB-600. Be careful about putting other brands of flash on your camera--they aren't universal. I wouldn't do it myself. If you come up with an older NIkon flash such as SB-28, SB-27, etc., you can place the flash on "auto" and it will do a decent job. Good luck!

Kent in SD

My suggestions.

1) As Kent Mentioned for kiddos photos get to their level. Photos from above would make the photos very unattractive.

2) Try the portrait mode when u are specifically when photographing 2 or 3 people in close up.

3) Occasionally try the Night Portrait mode they might giving u some surprising excellent results.

4) The in built flash is a good enough item. Don't fire the flash too close to the subject, that will cause the subject to be very boring losing the skin texture. Find a little far enough position so that there is flexibility to zoom in and out. Try Filling the subject cleanly in the frame and use the 1/3 rule ( = subject should be 1/3 or 2/3 position in frame than at center) when possible.

5) Watch out for the red eye in the party conditions. Always use the Red Eye mode of Flash

6) Use the Shade White Balance and the Portrait or Vivid Image Optimization mode. It gives a warmth and saturation to the photos and subject.

Of course there are other tricks if you are ready to use the Aperture Priority and Manual mode. But then if you are new to them then it is not worth trying out during an important occasion.

I wouldn't use a borrowed flash. Use the flash on your camera and your 18-55 lens. Set the camera on GREEN as Elliot suggested and sit on the floor or on a step stool. If you have a Monopod, use it. You can try your 55-200mm f/4-5 DX VR zoom lens with the VR set to ON.

Have Fun!!!!

Hetal,

I had the same situation when I used 18-55mm before. But after I ordered 55-200mm VR lens, pictures cames out much different!

I figured out when I use 55-200mm VR, stay away little from my son, then zoom to about 60-100mmm range to take portrait of him, added by SB-600 with bounce off ceiling, setting ISO on my D40x to 800, using P ( program) mode. The pictures became much better !Very sharp and good lighting which I never had with my 18-55mm kit.

You will get advantage since you got the SB-600 from your friend! That's a great flash. Bouncing light off to ceiling is wonderful, I would say.

This is the way I take my 10-months old indoor when I don't use 50mm f1.8 lens.( which is quite hard to focus manually on my very active son!.)

You could get Nikkon 50mm f1.8D at very cheap price, around 100$ on Amazon , for future indoor picts.It's sharpnest lens I have ever seen, great lens for indoor shots, although it doesn't AF with D40/x.

I'm also new to SLR and hope this helps.

Enjoy the party!