Nikon D40X Mirror lockup.

keerthi

Peter's right (about those long exposures). FAR more important for night shots is an ultra-steady tripod. Also useful - for that work and for countless other circumstances - is the <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FNikon-Wireless-Control-Digital-Cameras%2Fdp%2FB00007EDZG%3Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Delectronics%26qid%3D1195485049%26sr%3D8-1&tag=uplandlife-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325" target="_blank"><b>ML-L3</b></a> wireless remote. I just wish that nice inexpensive remote worked on my D200 (though I'm happy with a cable release for most situations).

Generally, a long exposure of the moon will prove to be TOO long. If you can see the moon well with your eyes, remember that it's brightly reflecting strong sunlight. That's a VERY contrasty situation, when it's the clouds you're actually after. Generally, you have to composite the moon (with a shorter exposures) and the clouds/landscape from multiple exposures that suit each part of the image you're trying to capture. It's also surprising how much the moon and clouds will move during an exposure. Even when there's little wind on the ground, the clouds you're seeing up high could be blowing along at over 100mph. Lots to consider, in such a situation!

As for tripod sturdiness: remember that the D40 doesn't weight much at all. If you're in grass or on any other slightly spungy surface, just you walking around NEAR the tripod can move it, and that movement (especially if the camera is on an elevated vertical shaft on the tripod, and using a long lens) will be enormously magnified - certainly enough to cause blur. Consider weighing down the tripod with something hanging from the middle of it - it's amazing what that can do. And, as Peter suggests, if you don't have the remote, use the self timer.

Lack of MLU is a weakness of consumer DSLRs. At the level of pixel peeping I see the effects of mirror shock at any speed less than 1/250 on my D200, and I will use Exposure Delay mode below that if I don't have the time and a tripod to set up and use MLU. Unfortunately, neither of these options are available on the D40x.

The D2 and D3 series DSLRs have better mirror dampening, which would be the only reason I can think of to choose a D2x over a D300. Presumably, they would perform better at slower shutter speeds as a result.