Nikon D3s better at high ISO than D4

thomas_lozinski

<p>Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the D4 doing better than the Canon Elph (by looking at some of the samples) either. But that's not a big surprise to me. What puzzles me more is that the manequin's complexion and hair change. The colors on the samples are quite different but I don't know which ones are closer to the truth. The lighting for the photos are quite different too </p>

<p>I've now seen multiple sites with comparison shots (all very boring studio setups) between D3s and D4. If there are difference, they're so very small that I cannot imagine it's going to make a visible difference in real life.<br>

Let's be real: both cameras can shoot ISO 12800 without major issues (and I think 25600 with good treatment is usable too for lower resolution usage). That's pretty amazing. Why a need to call one the king when the other is about as good?</p>

<p>In the meantime, the D4 has improved AF and other worthwhile updates. So, I'd still prefer a D4, if I had the need and money.</p>

<p>John, it would take an Elf to make the Canon Elph shots give anything close to the D4!</p>

<p>The mannequin's color looks pretty consistent on my monitor but some slight change is to be expected as the camera's ability to record color changes as the ISO changes (color range decreases and the ISO increases).</p>

<p>Thom, it is hard to know for sure as the D4 has more resolution. But I have made the same observation when looking at the screen images.</p>

<p>DXOmark shows the D4 vs. D3s comparison now on their web site and the D3s appears to be ever so slightly ahead in SNR, DR, and color sensitivity at extremely high ISO settings (while the D4 taking a clear lead from ISO 100 to 1600). However, the D4 is 16MP so even at high ISO it should resolve a bit more detail, which is why you might consider the overall quality even at high ISO a win for the D4. In the dpreview studio comparison images I was feeling I could see a bit more detail in the D4 images at high ISO but it depends on exactly which spot you look (the focus isn't always consistently at the same point in all the images). Also the D4 AF is more sensitive in low light which helps at extreme high ISO work.</p>

<p>Anyway, either camera would be excellent for high ISO work; the D4 is a bit more versatile but the D3s can be purchased second hand for half the cost, or less.</p>

<p><em>Why a need to call one the king when the other is about as good?</em></p>

<p>I agree they're very similar in quality. I think what people would like to see is improvement when they're considering the purchase of a very expensive camera. People are used to rapid improvements, and now that the cameras are getting close to as good as they theoretically can, there will be some disappointment. I think it's good in that we can start keeping and using our cameras five or eight years instead of three. Personally I think for D3 users the D4 represents a nice upgrade, also for video users, but many D3s users probably will continue using what they have, and wait for a D4s or D5. This is a good thing, money and natural resources are saved.</p>

<p>Now that we can compare the D3s ISO performance with the D4, we know how good the D3s is and how equal the D4 is to the D3s. D4 slightly better due to more pixels ? How better ? 1/2 stop better ? We don't know and probably we never will and it does not matter cause there is not a huge improvement to really say the D4 overpower the D3s on ISO performance. <br>

The D4 has some other worthwhile updates to take in consideration but honestly, there is not a huge improvement over the D3 series and that is debatable depending on your shooting style and needs as a photographer. </p>

<p>Thomas, read Thom Hogan article of today regarding comparison between the D3s and the D4. As I said before reading that article, I don't think there will be a huge difference between those two cameras regarding ISO performance. </p>