Nikon d3200 problem - "cannot display file"

kelly_kaur

Hello all

I would welcome some help on the following issue.

On a few occasions when I try to view pictures I have just taken I can see them then but if I switch the camera off and go back in the

message "cannot display file" comes up.

I always format the memory card in the camera and am using an authentic 64gb sd card.

The pictures that I had taken a few weeks prior are still on the card and visible.

However those that I just took appear after I have taken them but then do not display after. Also when uploaded to a computer, windows

photo viewer cannot display them.

My question is why does this happen and is there a program I can use to recover these images ( baby's first day at the park)

The camera is set to take jpeg images.

Any help much appreciated.

<p>I have no idea about the cause of your problems; do other cards (if you have any) have the same problem? You have a rather large card and since you shoot jpegs you won't format too often. I'd try to get all images off the card as soon as possible and reformat the card. And keep an eye of this problem.</p>

<p>With regard to recovering the images you may give Jpegsnoop a try. It is made for situations like this when a file is corrupt. I have seen good results with it, althought it cannot retrieve every file in every situation.</p>

I am removing the card and uploading to the pc via the card drive.

I dot think the problem is with the data transfer as te same images will not display on the LCD screen of the camera either

Jpegsnoop says the following :

File and; [f:\dcim\100aaaaa\dsc_0655.jpeg]

File size: [6377196] bytes

Start offset : 0x00000000

Note: file did not start with jpeg market . Consider using (tools>IMg search fwd) to locate embedded jpeg

That's as far as I've got and where my techical knowledge stops - have no idea what to do now !

<p>When you go to copy the files from the card, using a card reader, how are you actually doing it? Are you simply using your operating system's file copying tools, or are you using some application to import/handle the files as they come off the card? Does your operating system want to create thumbnails of images it finds in folders? Such thumbnailing routines do try to modify the file structure of the storage in which it finds the files. <br /><br />It will help if you describe everything you're using, and how you use it. Mac? Windows? <br /><br />Also, you mentioned that you format the SD card in-camera, but that you also have older images on the card. Is the SD card NOT being formatted after the computer has had its hands on it, at least, not every time?</p>

<p>Appologies, here is how i am transferring.<br>

I am inserting the sd card into the pc card reader (windows) and dragging and dropping the files. <br>

<strong>The files already do not display on the camera lcd and are blank as "cannot display this file"</strong><br>

So even trying to view them in window photo viewer does not change this.<br>

The photos already on the card are from the previous day and I did not download them to my pc, rather just left the camera switched off and then started shooting the next day.I only format the card in the camera if I have removed it from the camera to transfer images. </p>

<p>My concern is why they are also not visible after taking on the camera. And of course what I can now do to recover/repair them.</p>

<p>Jpegsnoop is a language I cannot understand! </p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>On a few occasions when I try to view pictures I have just taken I can see them then but if I switch the camera off and go back in the message "cannot display file" comes up.</p>

<p>However those that I just took appear after I have taken them but then do not display after</p>

</blockquote>

<p>ie. 'Preview' works, but then the file gets messed up. So, they are corrupting <em><strong>in-camera</strong></em>. That's not a transfer issue, it's a bad card (probably) or maybe an internal reader-writer fault.</p>

<p>I think that message is saying the position the image file 'starts' on the memory card is lost/cannot be found. The best analogy I've found is that someone has taken all the numbers off all the houses is your street, so the postman can't find a specific address. The houses are still fully visible but the postie can't count. Recovery Software looks for houses not numbers.</p>

<p>The originals should still be there, however, as I've not used that particular software I can't advise on that bit. Someone here should be able to help you.</p>

<p>My impression is you only have the one card. Get a new card. Format in the camera and see how it works. Once I copy the folder of images from a card it rotates with other cards in order. I put my 'oldest' card in, reformat it and shoot. I never "add" pictures to a previously shot card. What I do doesn't mean that what you do is the problem. You just need to try another card. If it works perfectly I'd toss the old card or use it for something else, but not in your camera. I've had my D3200 since July and it's been very reliable with no hiccups.</p>

Thank you all for your tips and advice.

Have bought a new memory card ( less memory)

And have taken the following on board:

- be careful not to turn camera off too quickly after shooting picture

- empty memory card into pc after each shoot

- format card in camera

I have tried various programs to fix the corrupted jpegs but to no avail.

Have to let them go :( and reshoot.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

<p>I have a brand new D3200 that was fine for the first few days then the "cannot display file" and "memory card damaged" message started appearing.<br>

Also, after turning the camera on and taking the first photo the little green memory card light would stay on for almost a minute which would hang up the camera.<br>

Removing and reinserting the memory card seemed to clear the problem temporarily. It would come back.<br>

My experience with computers led me to the tiny gold fingers on the memory card.<br>

I removed the card and used an eraser tip (mildly abrasive) on each finger to burnish the contacts. I shaved the eraser tip with a razor blade to fit it fingers.<br>

Since doing that, the camera has been OK.<br>

Bob T. Somers, CT</p>