Nikon D300

lori_carlton

<p>Just had my Nikon D70 stolen while traveling and need to replace the body. I have numerous lenses so I need to stick with Nikon. I am a sports photographer and am considering buying the Nikon D300, can't afford the D3. Will I see a big difference with the D300?What do you think about buying used from B&H photo? </p>

<p><em>Lori,</em><br>

<em>First, sorry for your loss. Good thing you still have your lenses.</em><br />You'll see a huge difference shooting sports between the D70 and the D300.<br />AF Speed is faster and the AF is more accurate. Frame rate is faster at 6 fps, and with the grip is 8(with enel4 or AAA's). Metering is better. High ISO is better, and with active D lighting, high contrast shooting situations is excellent as well.<br />I'm sure others will add to this list. Get the 300 and don't look back.</p>

<p>John, Nice softball shots.<br /> Matt,<br /> The D300 is that good?<br /> I mostly use a Nikkor 85mm/1.4 for indoors, a Nikkor 70-200/1:2.8 for both in and out and a sigma 120-300/1:2.8.<br /> Do you have an opinion about used bodies? I am a bit nervous about it but I have always used B&H and have been very satisfied.</p>

<p>Lori: I went from using a D200 (which already had substantially better AF than the D70) to using a D300 for action stuff. The D300's AF system (which is the <em>same</em> AF system that's used on the D3, incidentally) is a very tangible improvement over the D200, especially in tracking moving subjects. I use the 70-200/2.8 as well, and often in difficult conditions. Below is a situation in half-decent light, but it's difficult in other ways: the subject (a Weimaraner retrieving a bird) is grey, running quickly - and nearly towards the camera - against a muted background. Low-contrast city! Exactly the sort of thing that it would have been very difficult for the D200 to track on the move. The D300's 3D tracking handles it brilliantly.</p><div>00T1Dz-123459584.jpg.1892d68a845750a26fdde59611a09789.jpg</div>

<p>just my 2 cents worth - You'll love the D300. It does most of what the D3 does without the price tag. ISO usable with noise ninja to 6400, AF tracking that once you figure it out is cool and a dynamic range that is close to the S5 Pro.</p>

<p>Dave</p>