Nikon D300 with Aperture

rarmstrong

Richard-

I don't think you'll want to use BOTH. To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing iPhoto

can do that Aperture can't. So you'll want to disable iPhoto.

Be forewarned, however, that Aperture has not yet released the RAW converter for the

D300.

I'm a heavy aperture user myself. But if I had it to start over, I might go with Lightroom

instead. I just think in the long run, it's going to be stronger and better supported.

I only wish Lightroom had a levels adjustment as Aperture does!

Richard,

I use Aperture and iPhoto with a D200. I import all images into Aperture and then use the

Aperture library from iPhoto. The only time that I use iPhoto is to design and order

calendars, which Aperture doesn't support.

However, specific to the D300, I don't think either application will be able to use the RAW

images. It is my understanding that Apple actually does the conversion at the OS level

(and the D300 has not been added).

I would set the D300 to take both RAW and JPG. That way, you could use the JPGs now in

either application and still have the RAW images for later use (once the D300 is

supported).

Thank you both! The responses on the Apple forum in the past few days seem optimistic about the update of Aperture coming soon and hopefully supporting RAW conversion for the D300. I noticed that it also doesn't currently support the Sony A700, which was another camera that I considered.

Richard,

I have been using iphoto with my D40 and no problems. I just got the D300 and I can download the photo's (jpegs- large-fine) but the photos do not go into the library or events. They stay in last download. When i download again, they disappear from the last download and I have to search the hard drive for the files. Very strange. Have not contacted Apple yet but have sent email to Nikon. Any problems like this?

Tom

Tom

Thank you for your interest. I just got my D300 last night from B&H. I've just taken a few photos and I am already very pleased. I haven't had time to hook the camera to my iMac yet but I should soon and I'll let you know. I'm shooting my first photos in fine JPEG so I don't have to worry about RAW yet. But, I hope to get Aperture when it supports the D300 and start to shoot in RAW. I hope you like your camera as much as I like mine!

Best,

Dick

• 3 weeks later...
Update...Have shot and uploaded about 300 images into iPhoto, very basic for organizing, cropping and doing some basic editing but not very satisfying. I'm currently researching whether Aperture or Photoshop CS3 would be the best choice for my purposes. Any other input would be appreciated.

Richard, I agree with what Francis said. I have the D200, MacbookPro, Aperture, and CS3. I use Aperture for everything except for more in depth adjustments. Aperture is such a good program for organizing and basic edits.....makes it much faster than just using CS3.

I have tried the d300 nef files on the adobe acr engine as well as bibble and capture one, and held it up against nikon's own raw converter. It is obvious to me that nikon's own converter is different from all the mentioned. Converted images from NX turn out more natural and filmlike, especially with high iso images, while all the other ones show curious plastic-like or fractal like small worms, smearing out micro-details. This is very bad for my high iso images, and forces me to use only nikon nx when converting high-iso. Beware of the upcoming converter-type for APPLE Aperture or iphoto! If it uses the same engine as all the other third paries, it will be useless.