Nikon D300 Top LCD Window Replacement

amengual

I dropped the power brick from my laptop on top of my D300 and it just happend

to hit the control panel window just right and it cracked it. I guess the top

window is not as sturdy as the rear LCD monitor. Does anyone know the correct

part numbers I need to fix it? Also, I found that GGS makes LCD protectors for

the D300. I don't think I need the protector for the monitor but would the GGS

protector have stopped the top LCD window from cracking?

Hello Hector.

When you switch on the d300, do you still see all the normal camera indicators? Do all the little icons and symbols still look the same? Do you see any unusual blobbing of the icons, that would mean that the LCD data layer itself has been damaged?

If its just the top plastic window that got cracked, but the LCD data functions are OK, then you can effect a temporary repair by covering the cracked panel with something like transparent packing tape. That would at least keep out any moisture from getting through the crack.

But if the LCD Data indicators all look like "toast" when you turn it on, then that means the LCD display itself got busted. Which means a repair has to be made to replace that LCD display module. Which means you'll have to send it to a service unit somewhere.

You might can still use the camera for production, but you'll have to rely totally on the rear LCD panel. There may be some settings you can change to tell the D300 to send all its indicators to the rear panel for viewing, instead of to the top. You can also view a lot of the indicators in the viewfinder.

In this case, I dont think any kind of protective coating would have prevented the LCD window from cracking. Sounds like this was a direct impact to the plastic, and I dont think protective screens or layers are designed to guard against that.

Can you tell us if the LCD data functions look OK when you turn the unit on ?

It was not a big blow, just a perfect hit to crack the plastic window. The LCD control panel itself seems to be working fine. Had the power brick fallen more on the flat part I'm sure it would not have cracked the window. I'll check again but it does seem to be working properly.

If the LCD is working you could think about just putting a GGS protector right over top of it. I would think it would have absorbed most of the impact of the brick.

I like the GGS product, very nicely made.

I checked my D300 last night and the top LCD control panel is working right. I didn't see any errors displaying any of the icons or characters. I'm pretty sure that the blow was just perfect (or unlucky) enough to crack the plastic window. Just in case this happens to anyone else when you call the Nikon Parts department you need to ask for 2 parts, 1K603-220 is the top LCD window, and 1K105-070 is the double sided adhesive tape needed to keep the window in place. Both parts cost less than $4.00 but shipping to PA is $10.00. Still, not a bad price to pay for being clumsy!! Now, I think I'll also order the GGS screen protector since it sounds like it is stronger that the plastic window. Thanks for all your help!!

Does Nikon sell spare parts ? I also need the top lcd glass but couldnt get Nikon Dubai &

Nikon Turkey to ship for me.. They ask for me to send in the camera which I cant at the

moment..

I have found an independent repair center in UK and contacted with them via email. They

said they can ship the parts with a cost of $44 including shipping. I have wired them the

money and then they say they dont have it in stocks and could take 2 weeks for them to

receive which did not sounded right to me..

However, If anybody knows any Nikon contact that can deliver spare parts and share with

me, it will be appreciated..

tks / Gokce

I use 'NGP Canada' for all my spares (shipped to the UK). They are super fast and cheap shipping. All genuine parts as well.

Is that Fixation you are using Gokce? I have had problem with them and it has proved better to use NGP Canada in the long run as they can order seriously rare parts direct from Japan.

Ian

Hi Ian,

No, I contacted with Fixation but they were unable to ship due the their policy.. I contacted

with A. J. JOHNSTONE & CO LTD in Glasgow.. I have no concerns at the moment that they will

proceed with the order but just in case, if I need it, how can I contact to NGP Canada ? Is it

possible to pass any numbers or email ?

tks

I received the shipment from Nikon parts but they failed to add 1K105-070, the double-sided adhesive tape. I bought a roll of the Scotch double-side permanent tape and used that instead. I hope it really is permanent!! When I pulled the cracked window out I noticed that the old tape is black and while it was not very thick it was not flat and it felt like foam. The Scotch tape is clear and very flat. I hope it holds up. I decided against the GGS protector since now I know I can buy a replacement for less than $10. If anyone else needs to repalce the LCD window don't forget to add for boths parts.

Gokce, I had to fix my daughter's iPod and the parts I needed came with a plastic tool to get in between the 2 halfs of the case and pull apart the iPod. The ends look like a flat screwdriver with a slight curve at the end. They make them so you don't scratch the iPod when taking it apart. I used the tool and grabbed at the raised portions of the crack. It took a little force but the window came right off. I expected that the window would break at the crack but instead the whole window came off at once.

I see.. Mine has been scratched and I have ordered the top glass as well. I'm planning

to use a flat tip screwdriver to pull the glass from one end..and I hope I wont damage

the top case while pulling out.

tks

I'm glad to hear you were able to fix it yourself. Its a little disconcerting that Nikon uses tape to hold their cameras together. But at least you were able to verify the correct operation of the LCD electronics panel, and replaced the cracked part. Now you dont have to worry about the crack getting worse or moisture getting into the camera. Happy Shooting!

I'm not sure I would say the camera is held together with tape. This plastic window is just there to proctect the LCD. Without the plastic window the camera looks well sealed and put together. Once I took the cracked window off you could not tell there was something missing from the camera. Also, the adhesive seems to be thicker and better than tape. I just hope that the clear tape I'm using is a good replacement.

• 3 months later...
BTW....I did not get the double sided tape with the LCD window. I bought double sided permanent taped and used that instead. I later did receive the tape form Nikon but I could not (easily) remove the LCD window. I guess I'll keep the part from Nikon in case the LCD window comes loose.