Nikon D300, MB-D10 issue

chris_burgess3

<p>Hello,<br>

I purchased a lightly used Nikon D300 last month, it's been working perfectly, I purchased a new MB-D10 grip, installed it today, and when I turned the camera off, the memory card access lamp started to blink. I've found similar stories listed in Photo.net, but I think mine is a little different. I think I've done most of the usual things, removed the card, cleaned the contacts, taken the EN EL3e out of the body, and that is what has stopped the blinking; taking the EN EL3e out, and reconnecting the MB-D10 with 8 AA's ( I use NIMH's, I did specify them in Custom Settings along with specifying using the grip batteries first.) When I reinsert the EN-EL3e, and reinstall the MB-D10 with the 8 AA's, the blinking starts again. Any ideas?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>The blinking light indicates that there is some electronic issue (or the camera is writing image files onto the CF card, but apparently that is not the situation here).</p>

<p>I would suggest mounting the MB-D10 again with the following options:</p>

<ol>

<li>Leave no battery at all inside the camera, only keep batteries in the MB-D10.</li>

<li>Put the EN-EL3e back inside the camera but leave the MB-D10 empty, without batteries.</li>

</ol>

<p>Also you should be able to use one EN-EL3e inside the MB-D10, instead of using 8 AA's.</p>

<p>Let's see whether you still get that blinking error indication under various conditions. Hopefully this can help you narrow down the problem.</p>

<p>Also double check those electronic contacts between the D300 and MB-D10.</p>

<p>Are you using AA cells with 1.5v per battery? If not, some Nikon bodies have trouble with less than the [...8 x 1.5v needed] power of 1.5v batteries when 8 x 1.35v AA cells are used. [Nikon F100 and F5 bodies were not kind to NiMH batteries; the N8008s and the 90-series of film camera bodies did OK with NiMH batteries.]</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hard to say where the problem is from a distance, but if that one EN-EL3e works inside the camera without the grip, it should also work the same way inside the MB-D10 while there is no battery inside the camera.</p>

<p>NiMH batteries should work fine inside the MB-D10. I have used that configuration many times: 8AA in the MB-D10 with D300 or D700.</p>

<p>If there is no particular pattern of problem, I suppose you can try another MB-D10.</p>

<p>I've had some battery trubble using alkalines before, it was solved when i wrapped them in a piece of paper to fix them in place. I've also heard from others who fixed their probs by sticking a peice of isolation tape around the batteries before putting them in the holder....</p>

<p>So you could maybe try something simmilar.. ....</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Also double check those electronic contacts between the D300 and MB-D10.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>+1<br>

The vertical grip seems to be easily torqued when attaching it to the camera if your technique is careless.<br>

When this happens, the pins are skewed slightly causing a problem.<br>

I attach mine with the camera completely upside down so the grip rests on the contacts w/o any lateral motion whatsoever as I tighten the grip.<br>

It is a little finicky; I've noticed this too.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm getting quite random display behavior from both the top display and the viewfinder display; on, off, illumination on the top display on, off randomly; I think I'll return the grip.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>from experience, i can tell you that this is the classic symptom of a flaky MB-D10. i have 2 of them (and a zeikos knock-off), and when the grip's electronics fail, it has always been accompanied by bizarre behavior with the rear LCD (as well as, in one case, persistant auto-focusing and random, hands-free shutter firing).<br>

replace that unit or have nikon service it. there's nothing YOU can do to fix it.</p>