nikon d300 depth of field

paul_armendarez

<p>I just got a nikon d300 and i was messing around with the depth of field button and i noticed everytime i pushed it, the camera view finder turned darker and the camera made a funny noise. Im just wondering if the darker view finder and funny noise is normal or should alarmed. thanks paul</p>

<p>That's exactly what's supposed to happen.</p>

<p>When you press the DOF button you're asking the camera to stop the lens down to the set aperture so you can visually check the depth of field. That's the sound you hear. The reason the viewfinder looks darker is because the lens is stopped down to the set aperture so less light is getting in.</p>

<p>Normal operation for the lens is to stay at its widest setting for metering and composing, which is why the viewfinder normally looks brighter. When you take the shot the mirror lifts and the lens stops down to the set aperture so the camera can take the image. But it all happens too fast for you to notice, plus when the mirror is lifted you can't see through the lens.</p>

<p>Hence the reason for the DOF feature. It allows you to view the scene at the aperture you'll be using.</p>