Nikon D300 "Birds in Flight"

anthony_polk

Hello,

When taking pictures of birds in flight, using a Nikon D300, what would you

suggest for camera settings? I figure that since the D300 has been out for a while

and based on the number of incredible bird pictures here at photo.net this seems

the best place to pose the question. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last time I used release+focus priority with the motor drive cranked up and manual

exposure, about 1/1000 sec at F8, ISO 200 and the 18-200 mm zoom. I think this type of

photography produces the lowest percentage of "keepers" of anything I've tried yet,

including street photography. Too much stuff for the AF, or me, to figure out where to

focus.<div>00Pmh1-48317584.thumb.jpg.7bb9068c246ce1e66d21befecce50a7c.jpg</div>

It may be more of a question: with what lens do you plan on shooting?

If you are in a position to catch the bird flying towards or past you, you should have a better chance of getting a decent image. Luck has some bearing on your results, too.

Slightly unrelated but slightly related. I was shooting the Vancouver triathlon this

weekend and it required a similar technique I suppose to one for shooting birds. I'm

shooting with a D300 and I had my 18-200mm VR and my 80-200 f2.8 D lens (old-ish

push-pull zoom). I was moderately successful on a few shots and was experimenting

with continuous focusing although I've only had this camera for a few weeks now so

am still learning how it all works. Would AF-C and dynamic AF be suitable for shooting

moving bikes/cars etc.?

I use a 70-200 2.8. Very sharp lens! Rent one if you can and try it out. I set shutter to about 1000 in S mode. You don't need the MB-D10. Six fps is fast enough for the fastest birds. I shoot air shows at 6 fps and the plans are going over 600 mph, faster than any bird. 21 AF points seems to work well. I don't have very good luck with 51 or 3D tracking with birds in flight.<div>00Po71-48723684.jpg.9372de01b806c4cfe478c8230f0f7101.jpg</div>