Nikon D3/s/x - Custom file-naming by default

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by tropdude, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Any way I can program the Nikon D3/s/x bodies to provide a file-name structure for every image I take as:

YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_[image sequnce number].nef
    YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_[image sequnce number].jpg
    The YYYYMMDD and HHMMSS would be the timestamp of the image creation: date and time of the day.
    [image sequnce number] is the simple 4-digit (or whatever) consecutive number for each image.

2. Not in camera, no. But easy to do with Downloader Pro from Breeze Systems when downloading images to the computer. For example, I rename my files like this: 2013-06-02-D3B45442-D300. That's date - camera-identifier (edited in camera from the default DSC) - number of actuations - camera model. And it's all done automatically by reading from the EXIF data. Downloader Pro provies the option to add the timestamp too - it's very customizable.

3. I use a bit of software called RENAMER. I load images in an 'upload' folder and use a preset which I create from the renaming options. My convention is YY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS D7000 nnnnn where D7000 is the camera and nnnnn is the shot number.

4. I'm trusting that the software mentioned so far is free. If it's not, I'll check back on this thread, and I could give a command line that would do it. (Especially under Linux, but you can always install cygwin if you're on Windows.) But I'm sure a version with a GUI is more friendly.

5. RENAMER is free, downloader is not.

6. Thanks, Simon. I'll refrain from inflicting another bash script on the world, in that case!