Nikon D2X or Leica R digital back

karl_keung

The man DID say lens technology and NOT quality.

You have to admit that IS/USM/AF lenses are tad more 'technologically' ahead of Leica R lenses (even if you have a problem with the 'quality' comparison.)

And Canons DSLRs are more technologically advanced than Leica's DSLRs 'cos Leica do not make one! (They have only just got around to marketing a Kodak digital 'door'.)

This question is of great personal interest to me as well. And I think it is a very valid comparison.

Somehow the Leica module looks like a big, bulky addition to the back of the camera. For example, the viewfinder eyepiece is half an inch deeper than the LCD screen in the digitally modified camera. Looks like you have to squeeze your face really close to the screen to be able to see through the viewfinder. And I don't think it makes much sense to use the same body for film and digital. I mean, most people would probably get another R body for use with film rather than switch the module. So it is waste of space to have the unnecessary film wind cranks and other stuff in the digital body. Maybe Leica will soon come up with a dedicated body that is designed just for the digital back? As it is, I think the Nikon is better designed from the ground up. But I will wait to see the results.

1. the price for a R digital back is good enough to buy at least two Nikon/Canon digital

bodies.

2. it is doubtful even the 10 meg pixel R back is good enough for the Leica lens, given the

state of CCD technology.

3, the bulk of it make it more tripod friendlier than hand held friendly.

4. Leica should have developed a M digital back first, rather than R back, not many R users

around anyway. Another expensive flop.