Nikon D2X - Making the purchase

brandonhamilton

Hey everybody. I haven't been on here in quite a while, but I have

recently decided that I am going to make the jump to a D2X. The

D100 just doesn't quite work for my needs anymore. It is going to

make a great backup body, but I'm ready for a true pro-level dslr.

My question to you guys, is besides the obvious bhphoto, ritz, and

adorama, do any of you have any recommendations for good retailers

to buy this camera from? I have made a few purchases from some GREAT

e-b-a-y vendors in the past, but I now forget which are the good

ones, and which are the bad ones. I am leaning this direction for

the simple fact that they are usually around $500 cheaper. I see a

lot of shops selling this camera for at or less than $4k, and yes I

am 100% aware of the difference between a USA camera, and a grey

market camera.

Can anybody give me a recommendation? Thanks amigos.

By the way, I will also be picking up an SB800, and a 17-55 f/2.8

Well I would want to know, why D2X and not D200? I believe the overall value from the D200 is higher than the D2X. Having used the D200, I would say it is the best digital body yet from Nikon, and well worth the price. As for a vendor, B&H Photo would be my choice. I've also had good luck with the ebay seller Henry's.com in Canada, though you may want to stick with a US seller to get a US body.

Dave

Thanks everybody. I have been digging around for some "other" retailers, and it seems that even the cheap guys (which can be questional transactions) don't really offer the camera for under 3,900, which includes the rebate. So it looks like BH for example, is as cheap as the cheap guys (At least on this purchase). I think I will order through them.

Has anybody ever heard of "Roberts"? I think I might order the lens through them, as BH is out of stock.

Thanks for the help everybody, I will be ready to make the jump this weekend. I called Roberts, and they were very professional, and seemed like a great place to buy from. They are 10-20$ more expensive than BH on all the items I inquired about, but seemd to have zero issue matching the BH price should I decide to go through them, which I just might.

Anybody know why Ritz is still selling this camera for 5k? and the 17-55 for 200$ more than everybody else? Everything there seems over priced these days.

Hey i ordered a D200 and after two months of no show i cancelled and bought a new D2x for �1800 GBP and i tell you what i have never looked back i already owned a D2h so im used to the chunkey monkey but you do get excellent results from the D2x for a little extra money, you do get far more with the D2x and ive also got the SB-800 flash which also is excellent similar to the SB-80dx but just better, the D2x and SB-800 work so well together..I cover alot of wedding reportage and the combination has never let me down yet 600-700 images (raw) every wedding not a problem for the camera but on a downside its one heavy bit of kit...gives me a bit of a blister on my thumb if im always switching from land to portrait thats all.(but then again i have got biggish hands)

Thanks Glynn. I also shoot weddings, and do a bit of environmental portraiture, and the robustness this camera has to offer, as well as its features/specs and resolution, make it the unmistakible choice for me. I myself don't mind a heavy/big camera. I HAVE to have a vertical grip as I am a big guy and I also have big hands.

"I also shoot weddings, and do a bit of environmental portraiture, and the robustness this camera has to offer, as well as its features/specs and resolution, make it the unmistakible choice for me. I myself don't mind a heavy/big camera. I HAVE to have a vertical grip as I am a big guy and I also have big hands."

I use the D2x and the D200. The files are nicer on the D200 straight up and the only reason to go for a D2x is for the AF needs. If you're not shooting pro sports, save your money, or buy two D200's. A side from nicer files, it has a pop up flash and can trigger in commander mode for wireless with your Sb-800 and is very handy for wedding and portrait work that you describe you are doing. The iso also on the D200 goes in 1/3'rds all the way to 1600 where as the D2x goes 800 to 1600 in one stop and the files are awful with noise where as not so much with the D200. The grip with the extra battery on the D200 is reccomended also.