Nikon D1X for weddings?

robbie_caswell

I dumped all my film bodies in anticipation of the D200, only to end

up buying the F6. After some rave reviews by a local editor of a

newspaper, digital reality set in and I reluctantly sold it to give

digital a go....

Having shot the F6/F5/F100 I crave the big viewfinder and pro AF.

So... For sports and PJ, I've just nabbed a D1x on Ebay with 6500

shots for $950 to go along with my D70 Santa brought.

How did this camera do back in the day? Is it still up to snuff for

weddings?

Also, do you think getting published locally will open doors for an

assisting gig?

it was great in its day robbie. good build and great flash capabilities like all nikons, but you may find the images from the d70 more pleasing. many did, especially in higher iso's, and started using it over the d1x when aplicable. shoot it side by side in all the iso's and judge it for yourself.

Hi Robbie,

I have switched to Canon for the last two years but I used the D1X for several years. It is a very fine camera depending on the misson of course. But overall useing it in a wedding application it's a very good camera. The fact is that the D2X still dose not have a full frame sensor. But Nikons TTL I feel is still better than Canons.I would say as long as the camers is in good working order and the sensor is nice and clean it should serve you well. I have enclosed a wedding shot from the D1X which by the way was made into a 20 X 24 and it look great. Good luck!!<div>00F0LO-27751584.thumb.jpg.2d1d3dc9943cde965045371301690635.jpg</div>

Great camera. Nikon tough. Plenty fast. Most of my first digital weddings were done with

that camera. For $950., what's to worry? Hi ISO performance may lag modern D cameras,

but I used to use it at ISO 400 and below with a 28/1.4 and 85/1.4 plus fill flash and had

zero problems even in darker conditions. Can't remember for sure, but isn't the D1X a

CCD sensor?

Had the D1-X freeze up a few times, and learned to just release the battery and wait 5 sec.

to replace it.

Published locally opening doors? That depends on what was published and where. Given

two "cold call" candidates for assisting, and time to see only one, I'd probably go for a

published shooter first.

Best of luck.

Since you have it, yes the D1X will work fine. But take that D70 with you as it will work much better at higher ISOs.

I've had photojournalists with no wedding experience respond to second shooter ads. Some of their wedding work turns out to be crap. I'd always go for the person with some wedding experience over the one who is published.

But, getting published is helpful in getting your own clients, so go for it you have the opportunity.