cameras will be a good option Nikon D100 & Canon EOS 10D? I am

planning to do lot of Macro Photography + Nature & People. What kind

of Lens should I consider if I am going for a Nikon D100 ? I already

own a

Nikon N80 with

1)28-105 AF-D Lens,

2)One 60mm Micro Nikon AF-D Lens,

3)One 50mm Fixed Lens.

Any Recommendations are greatly appreciated and Welcome.

One uses Nikkor lenses, the other uses Canon lenses. And even when you take that

into account, the differences are

very, very slight. Each system offers some advantages & disadvantages the other

lacks.

Since you already own Nikkor lenses I see no advantage to switching to Canon unless

you like selling equipment at a loss only to replace it at a premium.

If you go with the Nikon, you're existing lenses will still be useful. You might add the 18-35 to restore some of the lost wideangle coverage.

Your 28-105 becomes more like 40-150, still a useful range.

Your 60 Micro becomes more like a 90 macro, which is more useful (IMO) than the shorter lens.

Your fixed 50 now becomes a fast 75mm, something of a portrait lens.

I'll second Bob's comments. I just got the 10D for what I felt was a better feature set than the D100; but then again I didn't have any lenses for either.

The bonus for the D100 is the new DX series of lenses for the Nikon DSLR's. They will give you wide angle capabilities that us Canon users can only dream about right now.

I guess it really depends on what you want to do with your existing equipment. If you are open to starting fresh, the 10D offers lower image noise at all ISOs, a larger image buffer, and true mirror lock for your macro photography. Here's a helpful review by someone who owned both the D100 and 10D:

http://www.anestoday.com/epson2200/D100vs10D.htm

And here's another discussion started by someone who owned both:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=5571750

Having used both, overall the Canon 10D is a little more refined and the image quality is a big better. However the differences aren't huge and it wouldn't be reason to switch to Canon over. If you were building a new system I might say go with the Canon for similar reasons as Bob mentions, but there's no reason to if you already have Nikon gear. The D100 is very similar to the N80 and you should be quite comfortable with it.

You might want to check out Ken Rockwell's site as he compares both cameras. He's a Nikon guy, but seems evenhanded. I did check the dpreview site listed by Peter Phan and if you go there be sure to read the many, many responses, with particular attention to those of Thom Hogan (another Nikon guy, but VERY knowledgable).

I've bought and used both, the D100 for my father, the 10D for myself. I prefer the 10D, but the differences are very slight, and probably not worth the loss you would take on the lenses.

If you take a lot of pictures at high ISO, however, the 10D has much better noise characteristics, and the 10D's ISO 800 looks to me at least as good as the D100's ISO 400.

The D100 also does far better with AF-S lenses, I found the 60mm on my father's D100 too slow to focus and prone to hunting (the body's focusing motor "screwdriver blade" probably has a hard time moving that chunky lens around).

Trying both in the store, the D100's autofocus seemed better than the 10D -- much

less inclined to hunt. Also the lack of a spotmeter on the 10D would be an issue for

me, as would the 10D's approximately two to three second bootup time when you

switch it on, and while the 10D images are smoother, the D100 images seem sharper

to me. The 10D advantages seemed to be a slightly better designed vertical grip and

a clearly bigger buffer -- although the D100 partially compensates with writing to the

CF card faster (except if you make the mistake of using compressed mode to write

RAW files).

For me it boils down to several moderately annoying features on the 10D versus one

very annoying feature on the D100 -- all the stuff I mentioned above wrong with the

10D versus the small buffer on the D100. But it is important to note that there are

workarounds for most of these problems on both cameras, for example disabling

some of the AF sensors on the 10D, using as fast a flash card as possible on the

D100 and so on.

Also bear in mind anti-noise plugins. While some degrade sharpness as well, they're

rapidly improving on this score and Neat Image seems not to degrade

sharpness at all from the web images I've seen, though I've not had the opportunity to

try it. Bear in mind that the D100's noise disadvantage is at the lower ISO end; at

higher ISO ratings the two cameras are pretty well identical. And even a 16x24

blowup at ISO 200 I saw in the store as a display piece from the D100 didn't have

noticeable noise. A bit short on resolution, maybe, as that's a heck of a lot to ask

from six megapixels (it ends up as a 125dpi print), but no noise.

For me I have Nikon gear, and after going through thoughts of "the grass is greener

on the other side" I am very comfortable with staying put, In general the Nikon gear

is a little smaller and lighter, with better metering and, at least for my purposes, more

usable autofocus. It's worth noting that in Nikon there's relatively little difference

between pro and amateur bodies now on AF, while with Canon there's a very large

gap between the outstanding EOS 1/EOS 3 group of cameras (probably the best AF

system right now for sports photograhy), and the rest of the lineup.