Nikon D100 Reliability

samuelphoto

I'm looking for some feedback from experienced users of the D100 that

can tell me what their real experiences are of this camera's

durability and reliability. I've checked the forums and it seems

that many are knocking it just because it doesn't seem to be as

rugged as the D-series bodies. However, I am not taking the camera

to war, I will mostly use it for event stuff (weddings, etc.).

Reliability is very important to me, which is why I still use even a

F4 and F3. But the call of digital is unavoidable. So if you have

shot a few thousand images, please let me know your experiences.

Thanks.

I don't have much to compare it do, but for about 3 months over the summer I shot over 500 photos a day with it and it never failed. I continue to use it daily but on 9-11-03 it gave me a flashing ERR whild shooting. I looked it up on the Internet and other people have this random problem as well (despite what the Nikon rep. said). I sent it in to Nikon on Monday and haven't gotten it back yet. Still, I can't wait to get it back. I'm shooting with a D-1H in the interim, and I still prefer my D-100 because I find it easier to maneuver. I had a really difficult time finding one from a reputable dealer though. I got mine at Samy's Camera in CA. They include shipping in the price and I got it in Cleveland in 2 days.

I have had my D100 for 13 months (since August, 2002) and have brought it to Australia and the Arctic region. So far I have no problems at all. The D100 is primarily based on the F80/N80 and is definitely not as well built as the F4 and F5 I also have. But as long as you don't abuse it, it should be ok.

If you are shooting weddings casually, the D100 is fine. Some professional wedding photographers use it too, but for pros, I wouldn't shoot a wedding without a backup camera regardless of how reliable it might be.

I've been using mine for just over a year (c. 6000 images) with no problems at all. You just have to remember it's not a professional body and isn't meant to be, and so shouldn't be expected to put up with heavy professional use. Some of those who constantly criticise it's ruggedness should really note this and buy a D1x instead!

The earlier point about backups is valid though - no matter how reliable the camera, drop it on a hard floor and you'll need one!

I've had mine for a little over six months and love it. I'd like it to have a vertical shutter release and have a little more weight so when I get around to it I'll get the mb-d100 and that should solve that and balance it a little better. But as is my wife complains and says it's too heavy. :) she just doesn't get it. It isn't as rugged as the d1 series or the tank like f3,f4, or f5 so just dont try and use it to kill anybody.

My D100 has shot 2000 plus frames and has never failed me.

I have had my Nikon D100 for just over 9 months and have shot over 15,000 images with the camera (weddings and sport). It has never failed once, although it does have a problem synching with some of my Tokina ATX lenses. It does have it's foibles particularly in relation to fill and normal flash underexposure. Image quality at 200-400 ASA is superb even upto to 20" x 16" prints and battery life is excellent. I would say that print quality is better than film at all speed and I have no qualms about shooting indoors handheld at 1000 ASA and then printing to 10" x 8" or bigger. Post production the images do take a little work to get the best from them as the camera does tend to underexpose but the effort is well worth it. I am now shooting between 300 & 400 photographs per wedding using a mixture of formal and reportage. Let me now if you would like some real world samples and I will e-mail you the original jpegs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...