Nikon D 850 tight lens mount

georges_walker

I bought the camera 2 weeks ago in Amazon Mexico, the delivery box and Nikon box looked in god shape, no signs to be damaged.

The unboxing was exciting but it last only a few minutes, when I attached a Nikkor 50mm F 1.4, I noticed that the mount was not receiving the lens well as it should be, there is some extra tightness, at the beginning of the turn is somehow normal but at the end of the turn there is an increased resistance. I feel unhappy and a kind of disappointed, a flagship camera should be under a better quality control.

I have tried only one lens, in case there is a risk of damaging the lenses, I don´t want to ruin more of my lenses. Same lens mounts normally in my other bodies (D300, D300s).

Later I took some pictures, did a zoom in the display and I could tell that the sharpness was not really good, I didn't do any adjustment for improving the fine focusing for that specific lens.

Is there any other similar cases with other D 850 bodies ?

Shoud I apply for the warranty or return the camera and get my money back?

Just checking - IIRC there is (without looking at one to check) a spring on the back of the F-mount holding everything tightly together - I normally feel resistance as I'm approaching the latching point. I just want to make sure that the problem isn't that your D300 and D300s have got a bit "sloppy" and aren't gripping as tightly as expected, and the D850 is just tighter because it's newer. I'm I'm completely imagining this, please put it down to lack of sleep and ridicule me accordingly. :-) I'll try to check when I'm home and see whether I need to ridicule myself...

I'm planning to collect my D850 tomorrow (which forum members will be pleased to hear because it'll stop me banging on about saving up), so if there's anything odd I'll report back.

If in doubt, though, exchange it rather than living with it.

• Like 1

I would at least test with a second lens. Mount it gently and don't force it in if it is also tight.

One way or another, if possible, just return that D850 for an exchange. There is no point to hold onto this camera for 2 weeks. Any delay will do you absolutely no good and the period for exchange may run out.

I have used maybe 30 different Nikon bodies since 1977, and no one has any mount issue out of the box, including one sample of the D850. You may have a slightly defective D850 or there maybe some issue with your lens.

• Like 1

My old AI'd 50mm f/1.4 S.C. Nikkor is a bit stiff and tight mounting to my D7200. All other lenses mount quite smoothly, so I'll second the advice to try other lenses on the camera.

I've noticed over the years that Nikon's lens mounts tend to accumulate a black deposit for no good reason. Try giving the lens mount a good clean too, and see if it gets easier to fit.

• Like 2

I have used maybe 30 different Nikon bodies since 1977, and no one has any mount issue out of the box, including one sample of the D850. You may have a slightly defective D850 or there maybe some issue with your lens.

With that kind of experience, I believe you would know immediately when something is not quite right, as in this case. For the price of the camera, it would make sense to return for exchange or refund.

With that kind of experience, I believe you would know immediately when something is not quite right, as in this case.

Well, if I get to check a new Nikon SLR in person, I probably would find out immediately whether its lens mount has any issues, but I would check it with at least 3, 4 different lenses, unless it is so bad that you can't even mount the first lens.

However, we are reading someone else's experience on the web. Every person's tolerance is different. In this case only the OP's judgment matters.

Moreover, it doesn't matter whether it is the most basic D3400 or a D5, the lens mount on a new body should work smoothly. If not, I would get an exchange immediately.

Edited by ShunCheung
  • Like 2

Thanks everybody, I'll try with two more lenses, without forcing anything. I will also clean the lens mount.

Later I'll report the results

By the way, in searching a similar situation, I found in a different site that one person had a similar situation with a D800, some years ago. Perhaps every 10,000 or 100,000 items a deffective body may appear...

Thanks everybody, I'll try with two more lenses, without forcing anything. I will also clean the lens mount.

Later I'll report the results

By the way, in searching a similar situation, I found in a different site that one person had a similar situation with a D800, some years ago. Perhaps every 10,000 or 100,000 items a deffective body may appear...

If you search the web for defects, typically you'll find complaints because mainly those with problems will post. It would be kind of odd to post that your new camera is perfect.

My D750 has a faulty GPS connection. Unfortunately I didn't notice the problem for like 4 months until I finally connected a Nikon GP1 unit on. It was too late to exchange it by then, but Nikon USA fixed it under warranty. I didn't search extensively but I am not aware of another D750 with that same issue (although I would imagine there must be some similar cases). A loaner D810 from Nikon USA had some intermittent electronics problems. After a few days I got some very uneven exposure and then the camera became non-operational. I sent it back and they gave me another loaner, which was perfect.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you. The D850 is a great camera and every owner deserves one that is 100% operational.

However, we are reading someone else's experience on the web. Every person's tolerance is different. In this case only the OP's judgment matters.

Moreover, it doesn't matter whether it is the most basic D3400 or a D5, the lens mount on a new body should work smoothly. If not, I would get an exchange immediately.

Oops, I thought it was you (Shun) were the OP and the camera in question was a D850. - Not reading carefully. Personally I would he very concerned if a spanking new camera is operating in less-than-optimum condition.

It happens. Sorry for your problems. In the early 90s the Aquatica underwater housing company in Canada was working closely with Nikon to produce housings and a Nikonos specific device called an Aqualens. The Aqualens used Nikon f mounts from Nikon. I unfortunately purchased one and discovered that the mount on mine was way too tight with my Nikor lenses. I forced the issue and broke a 24 mm lens. Aquatica repaired/replaced the mount and acknowledged that the original was too tight. Aquatica struggled and was sold to its employees who long ago fixed the quality control issues and now make great gear. I have owned 5 UW housings made by Aquatica since that time. Send the camera back immediately and don't pass go. The D850 is way to good a camera to start with a bad one and incur the loss of confidence from something that should work perfectly. Good hunting.
  • Like 1

Just to confirm my sanity with something that everyone who's actually got a camera in front of them probably knows: there are springs behind the protruding parts of the bayonet mount on the camera, which provide some resistance as you turn the lens into position. My theory in the unlikely situation that nothing is wrong is that these springs are fatigued on the (relatively elderly) D300 and D300s, and not pushing as hard as on a new D850. But it's not that much resistance (though it's enough to make one of my tilt-shifts rotate on its mount) so I assume your problem is genuine - and possibly one of the springs on your D850 is bent.

Just keeping the "are you sure?" question on the table - but otherwise I agree with everyone else that you should return the camera sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

This is what I noticed yesterday after testing the mount process and paying as much attention as possible.

- lenses used for the test: 50mm 1.4 D, 24mm 2.0 D, 35mm 2.0 D, 85mm 1.8 D, micro 105mm 2.8 N, 18-200 mm DX VR 1st generation

- D 300

- D 300s

- D 850

When I received the camera, days ago, I only used the 50mm and 18-200mm. I noticed that the mount was too tight, keeping in mind my own experience for interchanging lenses in Nikon cameras. I almost got shock, the day after I had to leave my city, no time for more testing. Perhaps the bad impression kept me away so I didn't make some room in my agenda.... I think I was avoiding the fact, hard to believe it was happening...

Yesterday I tried all those lenses, one by one in the three different cameras, looking for the stiffness of the mount in each camera. The both 300 bodies did not show such stiffness but I can tell that every lens feel different in each mount process respectively, regardless of all of them are Nikon and that we are talking about the same F Mount.

However I noticed that my 50mm lens makes extra noise at the time of focusing when it is upside down, in any of the three cameras, I think it needs some service, it should be more than 10 years old now, I'm afraid something is not ok with this lens.

Every time that the same lens was mounted in the three cameras, the stiffness of the mount in D 850 is noticeable, but I also noticed that by the end, there was less resistance in the D 850 body, seems like something was getting loose.

Another thing that catch my attention, was that the micro 105mm was the one with the best smoothness mounting process, very noticeable indeed. So nanocrystal are better not only for the optic quality conditions but also for a smooth mounting process, just kidding

As Andrew says, I think that my D 300 bodies with the time have their springs fatigued, that's why I couldn't notice the issue with the 50mm

On the other hand, I didn't notice any issue in the focusing process with the D 850, I paid close attention to this topic also with every lens that I used yesterday.

So, considering all your recommendations (really appreciated) I called Amazon yesterday asking for a replacement, they said once it is available again, they will deliver a new one.

Thanks guys

• Like 2

Glad you're sorted, Georges.

For anyone following my own D850 woes, I've now seen my camera - but it turns out that although Park Cameras in London is open until 7:30 on Fridays, their accounts people close at 6:30, so since I wanted finance I couldn't actually leave with it. I could put it on a credit card, but not efficiently, so that was a mostly wasted trip into London - and I'll have to go back in the morning (when I was hoping for a lie-in). On the plus side, they have the grip in stock. On the minus side, when their web site says 0% interest finance, that deal isn't on the D850. Sigh. At least this has given me time to talk myself out of buying a 24mm Samyang (having reminded myself how unflattering the reviews are), and I'm not quite insane enough to put the 19mm Nikkor TS-E on my credit card as a better alternative. NAS sated tomorrow!

• Like 1

Glad you're sorted, Georges.

For anyone following my own D850 woes, I've now seen my camera - but it turns out that although Park Cameras in London is open until 7:30 on Fridays, their accounts people close at 6:30, so since I wanted finance I couldn't actually leave with it. I could put it on a credit card, but not efficiently, so that was a mostly wasted trip into London - and I'll have to go back in the morning (when I was hoping for a lie-in). On the plus side, they have the grip in stock. On the minus side, when their web site says 0% interest finance, that deal isn't on the D850. Sigh. At least this has given me time to talk myself out of buying a 24mm Samyang (having reminded myself how unflattering the reviews are), and I'm not quite insane enough to put the 19mm Nikkor TS-E on my credit card as a better alternative. NAS sated tomorrow!

Andrew, have you ever check in Grays of Westminster? they only sell Nikon equipment, I guess they are located in London.

I follow them in Twitter @NikonatGrays

Grays of Westminster - Award-winning exclusively Nikon dealer in London | new & second-hand Nikon & Nikkor equipment

Yes, I've been to Gray's - I think my 135DC came from them. Nikon shooters should - they have an impressive selection of obscure kit, they're friendly, and it's amusing to look through their 6mm f/2.8.

My impression is that they sell a lot to collectors - most of their stuff is in pristine condition, which my own kit isn't, and that's a bit tricky when it comes to a trade in - though I didn't actually ask. If I'd been after a gold plated FA, a £100,000 F with a motor drive, or a new (!) 58mm Noct, though, they'd be the people! I should probably remember they've got some of the 70-180 macro available. Oddly, they weren't the place I've seen a 300 f/2 (Aperture, before their move).

I'm generally willing for my used equipment to be missing a bit more paint than is worthy of Gray's. They're not uncompetitive on new stuff, but they do have to pay for a relatively expensive store location, so I can usually do a little better out of others.

• Like 1

Andrew, you are very fortunate to have camera stores in the U.K. Two of the four camera stores I used in the Washington DC area and made major purchases at were closed by 2013. Here in the panhandle of Florida where I now live there are no dedicated camera stores in and between Pensacola and Jacksonville including the large college towns of Tallahassee and Gainesville. Of course Amazon accepts returns with little to no mus or fuss and can reach out to places no others can. But still, dedicated camera stores at one time had a place in the US. If a new camera was defective, you could bring it right back and show it to someone who knew something or at least cared and didn't consider his or her position a starter job. I hope georges_walker gets the problem solved with the D850 real soon. Like wildlife sightings, I saw two gripped D850 bodies at the St Augustine Alligator Farm last week and one at St Andrews St Park and look forward to owning one myself. It's a true all in one camera. Good hunting.
  • Like 1

Thanks, 2Oceans. For what it's worth, many camera stores in the UK have closed too - notably the big high street Jessops chain and Jacobs, a large retailer in London. WEx (where I went today) have merged, IIRC, with Calumet, which at least allows for a few more branches (WEx and Park themselves are, I believe, mainly internet shifters, although they have showrooms).

It takes me an hour and a half each way by train (standing in contact with other people and nearly passing out from heat stroke, because there was a big rugby match on and I the line goes through Twickenham) to get to Park; WEx is similar but driving, so long as I start from a friend's house that is itself two hours from mine; Mifsuds is a couple of hours each way, and Bristol Cameras isn't much better. Not that Jessops tended to blow me away with their selection, but their absence and that of independent high street shops means seeing stuff is either a long trundle or I resort to electronics department stores, which very much have only the basics.

All of the UK is fairly dense (though slow to navigate), so I appreciate that the distances are more extreme in the US. Return policies are good, but not really a substitute for trying out multiple bags and tripods.