Nikon D 7000 or New Lens

buster douglas

<p>Hi all I am cerrently using a Nikon D 40 doing general photography and I am thinking about an upgrade to a Nikon D 7000. But I am wondering if I should do the upgrade to the new body or spend the money on a new lens. Where will I see the better quility in my photos with a new body or a new lens. I currently have a Nikon 70-300mm 4.5 5.6 Vr lens which I use the most a Nikon 35mm 1.8G and aNikon 18-55mm3.5 5.6GII kit lens. Thank you very much</p><div>00Yxb7-373963584.thumb.jpg.04e402f04d27a9909c0d754f1e9f74af.jpg</div>

<p>Well, what is the lens you would be looking at? Do you print or only view on screen? If you print, how large?</p>

<p>This is an extremely subjective question and could go either way. I guess the biggest question is, what part of your photos do you find lacking?</p>

<p>I do have prints made 5x7 and 8x10 I only have ever made one bigger than 8x10. Peter are you saying I would waste my money on a Nikon D 7000. Zach that is a great question I feel I am lacking a lot of things I understand that a new camera body or a great lens does not make me a better photographer.</p>

<p>If the objective is to achieve better quality in one's photos (this is a general answer that applies to everybody, just merely the OP), the best way to spend your money is to improve yourself as a photographer. That usually means get some books on photography and take some classes. Get your images critiqued; let people tell you how you can improve.</p>

<p>Another camera or lens is secondary.</p>

<p>BTW, the OP's attached image is not in focus. The woman's neck and the chain around her neck are very sharp. Her eyes are not.</p>

<p>William, in addition to the great points already made, try to summarise for yourself what a D7000 would bring your photography, which you cannot do now. Point blank answer, sure a D7000 is a better body than a D40, but whether the specifics in which it is better, are of any use to you is what you need to establish for yourself. If you want a lighter, smaller camera (for example), it would be a lousy choice.<br>

The very same goes for a lens. It all depends on what you want your lens to do. The 18-55 (example) may not be the best lens ever, for many uses it's perfectly fine. But if you want low light performance, well, it's not the right one for that.</p>

<p>Peter, in my view, does not say you would waste your money on a D7000 (judging from his other postings, he's not that quick to judge at all), but only saying that upgrading needs to have a purpose. Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is kind of pointless. Make a list for yourself about things where you feel your gear is holding you back, and let's then discuss that list.... If your gear does not hold you back, Peter's advice holds up perfectly well.<br>

Though.....Every now and then a new toy, is mighty nice ;-)</p>

<p>Printed at 8 x 10 or smaller, a great photographer can take the same photo with a D40 as a D7000, at base ISO (except in certain situations, like severely low light and action).</p>

<p>But he'd rather have the D7000... why?</p>

<p>Good question... do you yet know the answer to that? If you know that there are specific features and benefits of the D7000 that can allow you to do things with your photography that you can't do with the D40 <em>(and there are)</em>, then buying one is a great idea (if you have the money). Can you identify these things? If so... get some great books and stuff AND the new camera.</p>

<p>I'd upgrade the lens too, but in your case, probably the camera first, since you apparently don't shoot with the little plastic 18-55 the most.</p>

<p>Bottom line is that no camera will take better pictures than the one you already own and know and have in your hand when it happens, but there are compelling reasons, sometimes, to upgrade.</p>

<p>Sounds like you already understand what you need to do to improve the quality of your images.</p>

<p>You seem to have good lenses now. Go for the body if you have the money and want to spend it, and really, really, really enjoy photography. You will enjoy it more with the D7000.</p>

<p>William, yes, the Bryan Peterson books are, in my view, a very good place to start. <em>Understanding Exposure </em>is a most useful book (if there is a classic advice, it's this book). I also liked <em>Learning to see creatively</em>. Both are well written, clear books that will help you forward.<br>

One book that helped me a lot is <em>The Photographer's Eye</em>, by Michael Freeman. Somewhat more complicated than the Bryan Peterson books, but for me this book was and is one that really helps me think better before taking a photo. Another (in my view) useful book by the same author is <em>Complete Guide to Light & Lighting in Digital Photography</em>.</p>

<p>Hi<br>

I definitely agree with the comments about your photographic education. That's where you want to spend your time and at least some money.<br>

Look at as many photographers websites that you can - a great place to start is the magnum website. Go to exhibitions, get books. Try to figure out what makes a picture speak to you, deconstruct them and then use that knowledge in your own work. I may get shot for saying this, but steal from everywhere that you can, favourite photographers, films etc and you'll eventually come up with your own way. Try ripping off other peoples styles and you will change, adapt and discard as you go.</p>

<p>When it comes to hardware, I find that it is best to upgrade when I have a specific goal e.g. I am shooting a low light wedding in a couple of months, I'll go get myself a fast lens, or a body that can handle low light comfortably.</p>

<p>IMHO, if you are wanting to go splash the cash, I'd get glass. A great new lens and then try to pick up a used D700 rather than the D7000. For the money that a D7000 costs, you are not that far off a used 24-70 f2.8 as a quality versatile lens that will last the rest of your life if you look after it.<br>

Best of luck</p>

<p>I would also look for books that are in the field you are wanting to pursue. If you are wanting to do portraits , find books in that direction. I always go to Amazon and read reviews on books to see if they are what I am looking for. Some can be really hard to follow and reviews will help. They even will have a few pages on some books for you to read to see how it is.</p>

<p>I agree 100% with Wouter's recommendations on books. Pretty much anything by those 2 authors will help you improve. There's tips, pointers, and general information on a wide spectrum of topics around photography. I can pick up any of those books, read a chapter, and have something to go improve.</p>

<p>When I say quality of the photo I don't mean how to compose a photo but the quility that comes from a camera that has a different processor and other things inside the camera like the clarity of the photobut I also think that all the advice I have been given makes for a better quality overall Thanks again for all the help.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>When I say quality of the photo I don't mean how to compose a photo but the quility that comes from a camera that has a different processor and other things inside the camera like the clarity of the photo</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And this is where, in this digital age, we have put the cart before the horse.</p>

<p>There are some marvelously well-composed and shot photos out there where the difference between noise levels of two sensors or the difference in resolution between 6MP and 16MP wouldn't matter one bit.</p>

<p>There are few, if any, photos that have bad composition but great technical quality that I've ever liked at all.</p>

<p>Wow Peter I am really suprised to hear that there is not any difference in resolution in a camera that is 6MP and 16MP I was under the impression you would see a great difference that said I guess the men and women selling cameras out there would want you or me in this case to think different Thanks again for you help.</p>

<p>i think what peter and others are trying to say is that a good photographer with a d40 can produce better pics than a lousy photographer with a d7000. the essence of what makes a good photographer is a) skill in composition and b) the technical know-how of how to render that composition. the camera itself is just a tool to get from A to B. in your case, studying photography, surfing photo websites, reading instructional books and taking classes would probably serve you better than plunking down a wad of cash on new gear.</p>

What they said. William, you have good lenses - the 35mm is excellent, I use it all the time, and the 70-300 also (I use

the Tamron version all the time, the Nikn and Tamron versions are basically equal). The 18-55 gets no respect but it's

a good, sharp lens - if what you're trying to do falls within its focal length and f/stop capabilities you should have no

complaints. The D40 is an older model but unless you want big prints or want to shoot in the dark without a flash

there's nothing wrong with it. You have enough equipment for a very wide variety of situations - so learning more

about photography is likely to benefit you more than new equipment. (It's a big subject and there are very few people

(if any) who have run out of things to learn and can't benefit from books, classes or a lot of practice - I know I'm not

one of them.)