Nikon Coolscan 5000 software on Mac

<p>Nikon Scan 4.02 running on Macintosh with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Nikon's site says they don't support the scanner with software any longer.<br>

Just a word. My hard drive crashed out and I replaced it. The version of Nikon Scan 4 in the App folder would not open up. I had transferred it from my crashed drive by copying the files from the Application folder. I have a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I have not upgraded to Lion due to compatibility issues. The solution for me was to download Nikon Scan 4.0 and Nikon Scan update 4.02<br>

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16452/~/nikon-scan-4.0-full-version<br>

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16453/~/nikon-scan-4.0.2-update<br>

Installing Nikon Scan 4.0 stalled at file loading #384. The installer wouldn't go past this and the program hung up. I force quit the installer [command option esc keys] and noticed that the Nikon Scan icon and application were installed in the Application folder. When I started Nikon scan, it ran just fine. Funny, my reference slide for the Macbeth color chart was perfect the first time and I didn't tweak anything. I had previous presets lost in the Mac software Library but it didn't seem to matter. So back to scanning....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you very much for posting this information, Victor. I am seriously considering upgrading from 10.4 but was afraid to because of the possibility of problems with Nikon Scan (I have the SuperCoolscan 9000 scanner). Your experience and that of a few others seem to indicate that I might be successful with your version of OS X, and that's encouraging. I really appreciate you posting your experience which might be related to what I am contemplating.</p>

<p>Interesting as that's what Nikon has told me all along after stopping development at OS-X 10.4. They always recommended uninstalling Nikon scan, installing the 4.0 and then the updates. It's always worked with 10.5 and 10.6 upgrades and unnecessary with incremental updates. They have said it definitely doesn't run under 10.7 (Lion). </p>

<p>I use Silverfast but if you buy it, buy version 8 which is backward compatible, but earlier versions (3 through 6) are not forward compatible for OS-X 10.7 (Lion). It's not cheap especially since it's scanner specific, meaning buying a copy for each scanner which run under the single application launch.</p>

• 2 months later...