Nikon Coolscan 4000ED + Vuescan - Colour cast problem

I do quite a lot of slide and negative scanning using a Nikon Coolscan 4000ED and Vuescan software. A problem has arisen in the past couple of days in that both the preview scan and the final scan are blighted by a green colour cast which is evident even on black and white scans. (see attached screenshot). The cast on colour scans can be removed easily enough in Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, although it is a step that shouldn't be required, but removing it from black and white scans is proving more difficult without the overall quality of the scan being drastically reduced.

I honestly do not know if it is the scanner or the software which is at fault as I am using the latest version of Vuescan. Unfortunately I can't try Nikon Scan software as a comparison as I am running Windows 10 which doesn't support Nikon Scan.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing the problem ?

vuescan_problem.thumb.jpg.3d102e2320b803477b282be00a64b23d.jpg

Try changing the channel from which the greyscale is derived. If this works, it may be a temporary work-around. You can get NikonScan to work in Win 10 by making SURE it does not install a driver. You could also try a complete removal and re-install of Vuescan, but this does have the look of a hardware fault.

WAIT! Brain not working. If you remove the color cast in PS, do you get a nice image with all the colors?

Yes I do. I tend to use an old version of Paint Shop Pro for negative scans as I find it easier and quicker to work with than PS (the latter I tend to just use for my digital pics). The strange thing is , as Vuescan is carrying out the proper scan and the image is displayed on the right side of the screen, the colours look fine. The green cast only appears when I select the save option. I'll try to get screen grabs of this if I can.

WAIT! Brain not working. If you remove the color cast in PS, do you get a nice image with all the colors?

This an example of before and after colour correction. The top image is how it looks with the green cast after scanning from Vuescan and the bottom one is simply corrected by one click vuescan2.thumb.jpg.8ed6cfffffa9d869c6510dd98e66f6a8.jpg using Paint Shop Pro's automatic colour balance option.

I THINK this is a Vuescan settings problem. I would do a complete remove and re-install. Doesn't take all that long, and is definitely a step to try. Before you do, though, what profile is Vuescan using for your monitor?

Is it the 'Monitor Color Space' setting you mean? If so it is set to sRGB but I have never changed that so presumably it was set to that before this problem arose.