Nikon Capture 4.4 and D200

bernard_frank

I use Capture One LE for Raw conversion. Great converter, BTW. Phase One offers a FREE

upgrade to vers. 3.7.3, which now includes support for the upcoming D200, no doubt

thanks to the implementation of Nikon's SDK.

Now, am I wrong but if yo use Nikon Capture 4.3.1 and want to upgrade to vers. 4.4 in

order to have support for the D200, you will HAVE TO PAY $99 ?

Tell me I'm wrong. Thank you.

<i>"...Now, am I wrong but if yo use Nikon Capture 4.3.1 and want to upgrade to vers. 4.4 in order to have support for the D200, you will HAVE TO PAY $99 ? "</i>

<p>You can upgrade from/to any version of NC at no cost if it is a registered copy - that is, you purchased it and entered the registration code.</p>

<p> If you are currently at 4.3.1, or any 4.2 version, just download 4.4 from the Nikon website (country-specific), read the instructions, and you'll be fine.</p>

<p> If you're currently using a registered version lower than 4.2, you will need to first upgrade to 4.2x, run it once, then upgrade to 4.4.</p>

<p>If you have any questions about upgrading, check the Nikon KDB, email or call Nikon Technical Support.</p>

Here is what Nikon's Image Support centre says when you go to the download page:

" This is a 30-day trial version of Nikon Capture version 4.4.0 for Macintosh (English). This

download can also be used to update earlier versions of Nikon Capture (version 4.0 or

later) to the latest version 4.4.0

The full software package can be purchased from the Nikon Mall. The suggested price for

Nikon Capture is US$99. "

I have a perfectly legitimate Nikon Capture 4.3.1 (which I don't use very often) and I don't

see anything that says that you can upgrade from 4.3.x to 4.4.x for free.

Thank you, Peter, but that does not quite cut it.

What I am saying is this:

I upgraded to NC 4.3.1 (for free, if I remember well) when I got my D2X because prior

versions (4.2.x) didn't read the D2X's Nef files.

Now, if I ever get a D200, in order to read the Nef files from it I understand that I will have

to upgrade again to NC version 4.4.x But now, this upgrade is not free anymore. And $99

is no small change for what seems to be very minor improvement, besides the ability to

read the D200's files.

Unless I can't read Nikonese (see above.)

"...Unless I can't read Nikonese (see above.)..."

I think you are reading TOO MUCH into Nikonese. It says the 4.4 download can be used to upgrade previous versions.

I purchased 4.1 over a year ago, have since upgraded 3 times, and just yesterday went to 4.4. I only paid my $99 once. Believe me, I would remember if I had to pay it a second or third or fourth time ;-)

Suggest you just download and run the upgrade according to instructions. You should end up with a fully functional copy, not a trial.

Please let us know...

Best,

You can upgrade for free, it's a 30 day trial for installations without a valid activation key. For all other legitimate installations it will ask whether you want to upgrade your existing installation. Since you have a version above 4.2, you don't need to do anything else besides running the installation. Hope this helps...

Okay, do you mean that this sentence taken from Nikon's quote above:

" This download can also be used to update earlier versions of Nikon Capture (version 4.0

or later) to the latest version 4.4.0... "

means that you can UPGRADE from vers. 4.3.x to 4.4.x FOR FREE, and that only the FULL

package - likely intended for those who don't already have NC installed, or who have a

version older than 4.2.x - costs $99?

If that's the case, then I stand corrected, and I admit I can't read Nikonese. But, to my

defense, I will argute that Nikon can't write Nikonese in an intelligible way.

The link is below, hope it works. At the top it says "Nikon Capture 4.4.0 Full Version Trial/Upgrade - Windows". Scroll down to the download link (it says there that it's the 30 day trial, but it is the upgrade, too). Download and install over the top of old version.

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=13786&p_sid=Hw9qJhXh&p_lva=61#

Nikon's instructions are not too clear BUT this is what I was able to do this morning:

Home PC- Windoes XP Home version

USA location and all previous upgrades via NikonUSA.

I had Nikon Capture 4.3.2 on the computer (bought version 4, painless nikon upgrades (free) to version 4.3.2).

The nikon communication center came in one of those upgrades.

I opened Capture this morning and under the menu "Help" I selected "Online" and the only choice for me was "Check for updates".

I selected that and got the communication/messge center and the first update I had to load was a small update to the communication center.

I did that and checked for updates again and it had a 17mb file to update Capture to version 4.4. I selected that and it ran just like the previous updates, no need for any new serial numbers, etc.

I did notice that the file I downloaded this way was a bit smaller than the trial version file on the Nikon site.

I then uploaded the newer Nikon View 6.2.7 file from Nikon USA, uncompressed it and updated View with out issue.

(I then removed the Nikon Raw PSCS2 plug-in so Camera Raw would work in PSCS2)

I have no idea how this works for other computer, etc but using this pathway (which for Capture is the logical, easy "check for updates: path) I am now fully upgraded/updated for any sudden D200 appearance in the house and did not have to rebuy Capture. (given it is only really a upgrade from 4.3.2 to 4.4 and mostly only important for working with D200 files, I doubted Nikon expected owners of Capture 4 to spend more money unhappily on software when they could be happily buying new D200's).

Calderon:

" stop the madness..." ?

Did you take your medication?

That being said, I do stand corrected. Just for the sake of it, I downloaded the 4.4.0

upgrade and installed it. Of course, in the usual unfriendly Nikon's manner, I then had to

review all my preferences in Nikon View and Picture Project. Why can't Nikon write

software which does not wreak havoc on other programs is beyond me.

But I'll go on using Capture One.

Interesting -- we covered this issue just a few days ago in this thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EVrY&tag=

Nikon could probably benefit from hiring a few new technical writers or other communications professionals. The instructions on the download pages are indeed unclear, and it would be easy to improve them. But I think it's not that difficult to determine that no, you do not need to pay for the upgrade from 4.x to 4.4. After all, when you install 4.4, you are prompted to enter your serial number, which is then accepted normally.

Yesterday, when I started up 4.3.1, a Capture screen wanted to know if I wanted to upgrade to 4.4. Of course I said yes, and after answering a few more questions, the next thing I know is that I'm using 4.4. Didn't have to enter a serial number or anything else. The same screen also occasionally alerts me to other Nikon camera software updates.

If automatic updates are turned Off in your system, you will not get any message to upgrade.

All to do is:

1. download the file from Nikon Link, or from links presented many times in photo.net.

2. Unzip the downloaded file.

3. Run the executable file that was created by the unzip.

Then just follow on the on-screen instructions. At some point the installer will tell you that found older version of Nikon Capture, and will give you chance to continue or not.

The process is so simple, that I do not see what else Nikon could have done even if had hired an army of technical writers, without over bloating the subject.

You just need some more patience, and read messages on the screen, and instructions provided by Nikon.

Nikon suggested to remove pop-up blockers, and anti virus software, and close all other applications. This is only a precaution, since at the end it will ask to re-boot the system. All of this is not necessary, but just to be on the safe side, it is recommended, to prevent people loosing data in other opened applications. It is impossible to predict every behavior on all computers with other applicaations running, and some applications can and do cause installation problems.