Nikon Cameras are Like the Energiser Bunny

ross nolly

I thought this may interest a few on here. Taken from Photo & Video's website

here in New Zealand. (http://www.photo.co.nz)

Nikon Cameras are Like the Energiser Bunny

"An event photo business in Rotorua has been using Nikon D80s to photograph

the thousands upon thousands of people that frequent the popular Luge downhill

ride. Cameras are mounted in a box, and triggered by sensor as the luge carts

pass. The cameras are thus often fired over 1,000 times per hour, quickly

knocking up some serious mileage. Nikon service reports that one of their D80s,

recently in for servicing, had done 856,570 shots, or, in film speak, 23,793 rolls of

36 exposure film. The event photographers also have another D80 that's done

over 1.2 million shots without a service!"

Not too bad for an "amatuer" camera!

I'm almost up to 5,000 on my D50. Maybe I should put the end of the world and the end of my D50 in roughly the same context. At my age I should not worry about either event.

On a more serious note I was recently made aware of the following data.

A recent study found that the average American golfer walks about 900 miles a year. Another study found that American golfers drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year. That means, on average, American golfers get almost 41 miles to the gallon.

Not too bad!

about the time i bought my D300, i had just read shun's review of the D3 that pegged the duty cycle of the D3's shutter at 300,000 actuations (with the D300 being half that). last week when uploading from my CF card i noticed 2 data folders, and thought, what's this? figured out that in 40 days i'd put 10,000 acutations (don't you just love that word) on my unit. and this had me worried until reading this piece. 'course, my mileage may vary. yet with a little luck (and i don't fall in the creek too many times), this D300 may last until i move up to an FX format body.

This can't possibly be true because every time a person who just bought a brand new dSLR can't figure out how to use it they post a question like "My D-Whatever Is Effed Up! Why Can't Anyone Make A Camera That Doesn't Force Me To Learn Photography?" Or "My Battery Died After Only Three Months of Daily Use! What Kind of Defective Camera Design Would Require Me to Recharge a Battery Every Few Weeks?"