Nikon Announces D780, 120-300mm/f2.8 F Mount, and 70-200mm/f2.8 Z Mount

ShunCheung

Since a lot of the contents have already been leaked in the last few days plus some earlier pre-announcements, I suppose the official announcement is anticlimactic.

Nikon is introducing their first DSLR and F-mount lens in 16 months. After five years, Nikon is finally upgrading the D750 to a D780. That may explain why they had a brief fire sale for the D750 at $1000 on Black Friday back in November, 2019. Initially, the D780 is restoring to the D750's starting price point at $2300, which was how much I paid for my D750 back in 2014. However, I am afraid that Nikon will need to discount the D780 fairly soon for it to be competitive.

Similar to the D750, the D780 remains at 24MP and uses the Multi-CAM 3500 AF module with 51 AF points (introduced way back in 2007 along with the D3 and D300). In other words, if you want the now top-of-the-line Multi-CAM 20000, you need the D5, D850, or D500, and maybe soon the D6. Instead, a lot of the improvements are on the video/live view side, with video features similar to those on the mirrorless Z6, but of course you get an optical instead of electronic viewfinder. The D750 has no pop-up flash and Nikon does not have any optional grip for it. Like the D750, the D780 has two SD card slots, but both of them are UHS-II compatible.

Both the F-mount AF-S 120-300mm/f2.8E FL ED SR VR and the mirrorless Z-mount 70-200mm/f2.8 VR S lenses have been pre-announced. Both of them have a new type of SR element, for Short-Wavelength Refractive elements, for correcting chromatic aberrations. I assume it is similar to Canon's BR elements. The 120-300mm/f2.8 is clearly intended for indoor/night sports and news events, e.g. the Olympics.

The Z-mount 70-200mm/f2.8 has optical VR built into the lens, but its optical design is different from that for the fairly recent F-mount 70-200mm/f2.8E FL AF-S VR. The Z-mount version has one fewer element but has an SR element. Its rear elements are closer to the sensor than the F-mount lens. However, just like the F-mount version, its zoom ring is close to the front of the lens while the focus ring is close to the rear.

Curiously, today Canon announced the 1DX Mark III for the up-coming Tokyo Summer Olympics, but Nikon has not yet announced the D6. Perhaps Nikon do not want to announce two DSLRs in the same day, but there will be more trade shows coming up in the next few weeks. I am sure Nikon will announce the D6 in the near future, way ahead of the start of the summer Olympics in July.

Prices in US dollars:

• D780 Body: $2300, or $2800 with the 24-120mm/f4 AF-S VR kit zoom
  • F-mount AF-S 120-300mm/f2.8E FL ED SR VR: $9500, just shy of $10K
  • Z-mount 70-200mm f2.8 VR S lens $2600 (which also has one SR element, not sure why that is not in the name). That is $200 lower than the initial price for the F-mount 70-200mm/f2.8 FL lens.
  • Nikon also announces a Coolpix P950 bridge camera that has a zoom that goes up to 2000mm equivalent, $799.95

All product images, copyright Nikon Inc.

D780_24_120_4_front34l.thumb.jpg.dfcf54061e41815cd03736957bcd0aaa.jpg

D780_24_120_4_back_34l.thumb.jpg.e1834846a9d968d4f63dfa4df82cea22.jpg

AFS_120_300E_FL_ED_SR_VR_angle1.thumb.jpg.012cc10ebd6ad4b2014508bf0149ee8e.jpg

Below is the cross-section of the Z-mount 70-200mm/f2.8 VR S lens

Z70-200_2.8_Construction.thumb.jpg.ce07585b3563e8ebd7cc4027aa47f8ab.jpg

• Like 3

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not expecting VR on the 70-200 S lens since the Z body has IBIS. It will be interesting to see reports on the quality of this lens. This will be the longest focal length S series Z lens to date. The quality of the 24-70 f/2.8 S series appears to be quite good according to some reviews.

Are the D750-to-D780 changes sufficient to make a D750 user want to upgrade? Most of the added goodies seem to be on the video side - so why not get the Z6 instead? Most of the things taken away affect the still shooter - similar to the D7200/D7500 pairing that made the latter unconvincing for those wanting to upgrade.

Finally a dedicated AF-ON button on the camera - but no joystick?

If cost-cutting is what drives Nikon these days - why not take a D850 body and stick the Z6 sensor and innards into it? And using the same AF-module rather than re-using the one from the D750?

A D750 can be had for $1500 - is the D780 worth $800 more? With almost all the improvements on the video side?

• Like 2

"The slowest shutter speed setting available — 900 s — is perfect for astrophotography and other long time-exposures."

Gosh, that's going to kill the battery unless they've done something interesting with the mirror etc!

"automatically recording slow-motion movies at 4x or 5x the normal recording speed, as well as Nikon's exclusive N-Log* option for use with 10-bit HDMI output.

• *Footage is recorded only to the external device; it cannot be recorded to the memory card inserted in the camera."

I like the slo-mo option, always a fun trick. Err, obviously missing something but why can't it record to the internal card(s)?

Are the D750-to-D780 changes sufficient to make a D750 user want to upgrade? Most of the added goodies seem to be on the video side - so why not get the Z6 instead? Most of the things taken away affect the still shooter - similar to the D7200/D7500 pairing that made the latter unconvincing for those wanting to upgrade.

Finally a dedicated AF-ON button on the camera - but no joystick?

If cost-cutting is what drives Nikon these days - why not take a D850 body and stick the Z6 sensor and innards into it? And using the same AF-module rather than re-using the one from the D750?

A D750 can be had for $1500 - is the D780 worth $800 more? With almost all the improvements on the video side?

It looks worse than the cutting from D7200->D7500

It seems you you lose:-

Dual card slots

Rear IR sensor - perhaps?

Integral flashgun

Vertical grip

At least moving from D7200 to D7500 you gained the tilting screen and many thousand metering sensor with face recognition but the D750 already has those.

Tech specs:

D780 | Professional FX DSLR camera

Edited by richard_driscoll

It looks worse than the cutting from D7200->D7500

It seems you you lose:-

Dual card slots

Rear IR sensor - perhaps?

Integral flashgun

Vertical grip

At least moving from D7200 to D7500 you gained the tilting screen and many thousand metering sensor with face recognition but the D750 already has those.

Tech specs:

D780 | Professional FX DSLR camera

Not so bad - you still keep the dual card slots it seems.

Maybe not the same day as the Canon 1DX MK III more like....:D

Historically, Nikon announced the:

Both announcements took place at the CES in those respective summer Olympics years, London 2012 and Rio de Janeiro 2016. Therefore, the logical timeframe to announce the D6 should be at the CES in 2020 and start shipping in February. That will give professional photographers about 5 months to test the D6 prior to the Olympics in late July, and God forbid, should there be any major glitches, Nikon will still have a month or two to come up with fixes. I also find it strange that the D6 is not announced at the same time as the 120-300mm/f2.8. Those two should be a very logical coupling for sports photography.

Perhaps the next logical event to announce the D6 is before the CI Plus show in Japan in late February:

CP+2020 CAMERA & PHOTO IMAGING SHOW 2020

and Nikon can start shipping the D6 immediately. Additionally, there are three Z-mount S lenses originally slated for 2020: the 50mm/f1.2 S, 20mm/f1.8 S, and 14-24mm/f2.8 S. We may see at least one of those three announced by CI Plus.

• Like 1

I’ve read all this and seen a couple videos on the 780. My question is, what’s the point? It doesn’t look like there are many new and/or improved features and some features important to people like me are gone! The grip is the most obvious to my eye, something I have on every camera. I don’t know why anyone would trade in the D750 unless they simply wore it out. Also, $10k for a 120-300 zoom? Really?

Rick H

• Like 2

I’ve read all this and seen a couple videos on the 780. My question is, what’s the point? It doesn’t look like there are many new and/or improved features and some features important to people like me are gone! The grip is the most obvious to my eye, something I have on every camera. I don’t know why anyone would trade in the D750 unless they simply wore it out. Also, $10k for a 120-300 zoom? Really?

I think that is a clear sign that DSLR development has reached a plateau. The D750 was introduced in September 2014 and I bought mine in December that year. Nikon is not going to put the D5/D850's AF module in the D780. Otherwise, for still photography, there isn't all that much they can improve from the D750. Instead, with a faster processor and a sensor from the Z6, the D780's advantages over the D750 are mostly in the video, live view area, with a lot of the features from the Z6 adopted into the D780. I know a lot of people don't care about video, and in that case I think it will be very difficult to justify the $2300 price tag for the D780. Incidentally that was exactly the price tag for the D750 initially back in 2014.

I now shoot a decent amount of video, but I would much rather use a Z6 with EVF to capture video, rather than using the rear LCD as viewfinder.

Recall that on Black Friday 2019 (less than 2 months ago), Nikon USA discounted the D750 to $1000 for a few days. Regular prices for a new D750 is now $1200 with plenty of used and refurb options. I think it will be extremely difficult for the $2300 price tag to hold. Expect some pretty serious D780 discounts soon. For those who would like a higher end DSLR, until a few days ago, the D850 with discounted to $2800 with a free grip. I think the D850 is a much better choice for those who would like better AF and more pixels, and personally I very much like the XQD/CFx option on the D850.

• Like 3

I'm guessing the 3 small 'holes' next to the I button are microphone apertures. (above the IR trigger window)

Why are they there?

In older single digit Nikon's they were for recording an audio 'note/comment' to an image.

I don't think that's the rear IR window; I think it's the card busy indicator.

I can see a CHG indicator over on the top left, presumably for the built-in battery charger but I don't see a rear IR window at all.

It seems to be there on the front, over near where the AF assist lamp was.

I had to read the D7500 manual before I could be certain about the (lack of a) rear IR detector; the brochure didn't say anything about it.

I think that is a clear sign that DSLR development has reached a plateau.

Yes, it's a bit sad really, but I've always thought that an essentially electronic camera using such a complex optical-mechanical system for viewing seemed pretty odd. The mirrorless cameras are catching up fast and I'm sure that they must cost less to make. You need an EVF but lose all the mechanical mirror stuff along with the prisms, metering sensor and AF sensor. I doubt that the phase detect sensors cost much more either. Shifting the VR inside the body cuts down on system cost too.

• Like 1

The new 70-200/2.8 lens is parfocal, which means you can zoom on a subject without refocusing. That is an important feature for video, but less so for stills (where you can wait for focus to catch up).

Why is the 120-300 so expensive? Probably because it is f/2.8 and not f/4.5 or f/5.6 with a variable range. Besides the extra speed, Nikon has always lavished more care designing f/2.8 optics and build quality than for slower lenses.

I think Nikon has raised the price of the D750 to around $1500 to make it's easier to sell the D780.

Few will buy the D750 at $1500 or even $1200 now. There are just way too many refurb and used alternatives. Unfortunately, there are people like me who keep on reminding people that Nikon USA was selling the D750 for $999 from Black Friday 2019 to the following Cyber Monday. That was merely a month and half ago:

Black Friday Deal, Nikon D750 < $1000 [Deal Expired], D610 Kit < $900

With the D780 announced, the price for the D750 can only go further down, but I assume Nikon USA had pretty much dumped their stock back in November. There are probably not very many new D750 left.

Today, a refurb D750 is still $1050, $50 higher than the fire sale price:

Nikon D750 DSLR Camera (Body Only, Refurbished by Nikon USA)

Few will buy the D750 at $1500 or even $1200 now. There are just way too many refurb and used alternatives. Unfortunately, there are people like me who keep on reminding people that Nikon USA was selling the D750 for $999 from Black Friday 2019 to the following Cyber Monday. That was merely a month and half ago:

Black Friday Deal, Nikon D750 < $1000 [Deal Expired], D610 Kit < $900

With the D780 announced, the price for the D750 can only go further down, but I assume Nikon USA had pretty much dumped their stock back in November. There are probably not very many new D750 left.

Today, a refurb D750 is still $1050, $50 higher than the fire sale price:

Nikon D750 DSLR Camera (Body Only, Refurbished by Nikon USA)

I don't think they would want to drop the price of the D750 as I think they have a low enough inventory of D750 not to worry about selling them. They would keep it high to sell the D780. Just like they kept the D610 price high to sell the D750.