Nikon Announces D7000 DSLR, 35mm/f1.4 AF-S, 200mm/f2 AF-S VR2, and SB-700 Flash

ShunCheung

<p>Technically, the D7000 is a new class of DSLR priced at $1200, between the D90 and D300S. The D7000 has a lot of advanced features:</p>

<ul>

<li>A Nikon-designed 16.2MP CMOS sensor</li>

<li>ISO 100 to 6400 plus Hi 1 and 2</li>

<li>A new Multi-CAM 4800 AF module with 39 AF points, including 9 cross type</li>

<li>Up to 6 frames/second</li>

<li>100% viewfinder</li>

<li>Dual SD memory cards</li>

<li>Full 1080p HD video with stereo microphone jacks</li>

<li>New EN-EL15 battery</li>

<li>New MB-D11 vertical grip</li>

</ul>

<p>The D7000 does have a build-in AF motor to work with older AF/AF-D lenses that have no AF motor in the lens. It can also meter with AI/AI-S lenses that have no build-in CPU.<br>

<br />photo.net has a preview article: <a href="../equipment/nikon/D7000/preview/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/D7000/preview/</a><br />That link may not be active immediately. Please be patient.</p>

<p>The SB-700 flash ($329.95) can be a Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS) master or remote slave. As a CLS master, it can control 2 groups of remote flashes, similar to the pop-up flash on higher-end DSLRs. (The SB-800 and SB-900 can control 3 groups of flashes.)</p>

<p>I suppose the 35mm/f1.4 AF-S ($1800) and 200mm/f2 AF-S VR2 ($6000) are self explanatory.</p>

<P>

<B>P.S. Today Nikon USA informs us that both the D90 and D300S remain as current cameras. The D7000 is an additional DSLR to Nikon's lineup, not a replacement of any existing model. I would like to make that clear.

</B>

</P>

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>The specs are certainly formidable. Recall that a few weeks ago, some people posted that the D90's successor would have specs perhaps exceeding the D300S, and I dismissed that. It turns out that is probably indeed the case. The D7000 does not have the D300S' AF and frame rate, but it is close and I never expected that Nikon would add metering with AI/AI-S lenses onto a $1200 DSLR.</p>

<p>There is a vertical grip, the new MB-D11.</p>

<p>As usual, DPReview has a thorough preview: <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/previews/NikonD7000/">http://www.dpreview.com/previews/NikonD7000/</a></p>

<p>Very impressive specs on the D7000. I was hoping to eventually buy a D90 or replacement for the wife while I wait for the D300s replacement to one day appear. With the specs that Nikon has introduced with the D3100 and now the D7000, I'm really curious as to what the eventual D300s replacement specs will be like.<br>

Nikon good job!</p>

<p>John, I finished the preview a couple of days ago. However, we could not publish it until the Nikon embargo time ended at 00:01 EDT on September 15 in the US. Publishing it requires a photo.net admin, like Hannah Thiem or Josh Root. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about that since I don't have permissoin to release the article.</p>

<p>Wow, very impressive camera. Gives the D300s successor a real high bar to jump over when it is announced (perhaps soon). I'm very pleased to see Nikon putting in the non-CPU lens metering into the D7000, and 100% viewfinder as well! Construction is first rate, and dual card slots, full HD video, and a stereo external microphone jack. I'll look forward to the dpreview full test to see just how well this new sensor resolves fine details, not that I'm planning to dump my D300. Good job Nikon!!<br>

But a $1700 35mm f1.4 prime? That's a real head-scratcher.</p>

<p>hopefully some people move towards AF now so I can get some MF lenses for a bargain :D</p>

<p>film of course. the d7000 is nice eh .. but my D70 is still working nicely, haven't clocked 10k yet, had a new shutter put in during warranty. the d2h is nice for action. may even pick up a nice 17-55 DX and a 70-200/2.8 II.</p>

<p>a small deterrent is that the 35mm lens has a 67mm filter. </p>

<p>A nice d200 upgrade though I'm getting sick of all the DX models...</p>

<p>D7000<br /> D5000<br /> d3000<br /> d3100<br /> d90<br /> d300<br /> d300s<br /> Not to mention older ones like d40, d40x, d200, d60 etc...</p>

<p>How do we figure out what model we want? Do we really have to read the specs of every single DX model? The model numbers make no sense anymore...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>@Ray:<br>

> hopefully some people move towards AF now so I can get some MF lenses for a bargain :D<br>

You can ! I just bought the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 (available here at <a href="http://www.foto-tip.pl/sklep/samyang_85mm_f1_4_if_mc_aspherical_for_nikon-p-1356.html">260€</a>, about a tenth of the new Nikon!) and am very satisfied with it! I hope the new D7000 will be able to measure light with it and not only with Nikon Ai lens..<br>

And Samyang is also going to announce a 35mm f/1.4 very soon, almost at the same time as Nikon.. :-)<br>

BTW, but I love my "modern" 16-85! And also my 105VR! :-)</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Christophe.</p>

<p>Great news, the classic prime <em>holy trinity</em> has been fully released... now with four lenses (24-35-50-85). It took almost 20 years to the update. The 28/1.4AFD will suffer another big stock market drop, I guess.<br /> I thought the latest one would be the 85 but it was the 35... intelligent move. Price? We must see if performance is on pair.<br /> Out of curiosity, like on the 50 and 85 updates one more element has been added, and like on the 24AFS, aspherical glass. I read that is "optimized for edge to edge sharpness". I hope it has a handling feel closer to the usual pro zooms and not to the latest "small time" gold-ringed ones.</p>

<p>Jon Porter wondered about "the future of the high-end DX" and I do the same! The AI-support is actually marvellous. As a DX replacement for my D200 this could very well be 'it'. For telelens photography I would still consider DX. ..And now I wait for the new camera that turns my antique AI-d 24/2.8 in <em>eehhh</em>.. exactly that: a 24mm wide angle FX.</p>

<p>Hi Shun, nice preview. It's always nice when rumors and reality are better than expectation.<br>

Some questions though:<br>

I see a difference in this article and the table in the preview. Will there be metering with older lenses?<br>

Do you know if the wheather sealing is equivalent to the D300?<br>

Is there AF focus adjustment like in the D300.<br>

I like that it has more cross type sensors (something I miss in the D90) and that it has 1/8000s.<br>

I was wondering, what is missing in the D7000 that the D300s has, do you need it often and is it still worth the extra money. I would like some of the extra 'professional' features of the D300, but the weight is also a lot more. I think the D7000 will sell in huge amounts.</p>

<p>Thanks for the preview Shun - and wow, it seems like they have pulled quite the camera out of the bag. Certainly something a bit more than just the usual incremental upgrades.</p>

<p>Thrilled also to see the 35/1.4 and I'm with Jose in rejoicing that the 'spine' of an upgraded prime line-up (24-35-50-85) is now in place. We can't forget that we also have the slightly older but very handy AF-S 105VR Micro already there. I wonder if there is one more AF-S prime in the works with a FL between 105 and 200...</p>

<p>SB700 is interesting too. Do you think it replaces SB600? Or will both exist side-by-side?</p>

<p>Obviously all this raises expectations about what might be onboard the next FX model (D700 replacement). D3100 and certainly (!) D7000 have been above the mark in terms of meeting what people expected.</p>

<p>The new D7000 should fly of the shelves. I love the 1/250th sec flash sync, the dual-card slots. I see no compelling reason for anyone to buy the D300s at this time. Of course, the D90 would be a great buy at this particular time if you don't mind having "only" 12MP and older technology.</p>

<p>I am still coming to grips as to why we need to have 16-18MP cameras for the APS-C format.</p>

<p>Well... it kills the D300s imho, but not the D90. If the D90 could continue to be offered for 700 or 800 bucks, I wonder if it might still sell. I'm glad I bought the refurb D90 when I did, 'cause I can't put 1200 into a camera at this stage of my life, so if I had waited for today, I'd be buying the D90 anyway.</p>

<p>That said, it is a very surprising camera. The metering with AI lenses is a total shock. Dual card slots... 6fps... weather sealing...</p>

<p>There MUST be a D300 replacement coming... either that, or a D700 replacement that is cheaper and replaces both the 700 and the 300...</p>