Nikon Announces a 40mm/f2.8 DX AF-S Micro Lens

ShunCheung

<p>Back in 2006, Ian started this thread: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00FsrU">Wanted 40mm Nikon DX macro lens</a>. Today, that is reality.</p>

<p>You can find photo.net's preview here, including Nikon USA's official press release: <a href="../equipment/nikon/lenses/40mm-f2.8-af-s-dx-micro/preview/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/lenses/40mm-f2.8-af-s-dx-micro/preview/</a></p>

<p>This is Nikon's fourth DX lens that has a fixed focal length, following:</p>

<ol>

<li>10.5mm/f2.8 DX fisheye, obviously a specialized lens and the only DX lens that is not AF-S</li>

<li>35mm/1.8 DX AF-S, a very popular standard lens that is fast and affordable.</li>

<li>85mm/f3.5 DX AF-S VR Micro, another dedicated macro lens for the DX format</li>

</ol>

<p>Essentially, the 40mm/f2.8 DX AF-S Micro re-creates, for DX, the same angle of view as the 60mm/f2.8 AF-S Micro for FX. Based on the specifications and Nikon's press release, it seems clear that the primary design objective for the new lens is affordability. At $279.95, the price is definitely not high, and it can give you 1:1 macro by itself. However, unlike its bigger brother the 60mm/f2.8 AF-S Micro, the new lens has no nano coating, no ED elements and no aspheric elements. Therefore, it'll be important to verify its optical performance.</p>

<P>

The new lens weights 9.9 oz (280 grams). With a weight so light, it is clear that the barrel is mainly plastic.

I find the plastic barrels on similar small lenses such as the 35mm/f1.8 DX AF-S and 50mm/f1.4 AF-S sufficient.

Nikon confirms that the lens mount is metal.

</P>

<p>Here is the link to Nikon USA's official information: <a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2200/AF-S-DX-Micro-NIKKOR-40mm-f%252F2.8G.html">http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2200/AF-S-DX-Micro-NIKKOR-40mm-f%252F2.8G.html</a></p>

<p>Please keep in mind that I have not seen that lens in person yet. It is scheduled to go on sale in late August with a suggested price of US$279.95.</p>

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Perfect for the lower-end DX market. I don't think I'm a candidate. I don't mind shooting manual focus and exposure with my old 55mm f3.5 that cost next to nothing, but for the guy who just bought a D5100 who is looking for a macro to shoot flowers and stuff that doesn't move, this is a great solution at a good price.</p>

<p>This lens seems perfectly placed in a market dominated by D3100 and D5100 sales. There are many new shooters that are interested in Macro/Micro photography that just cannot justify the $500 85mm DX macro lens that is already offered. If this is priced as Shun has predicted than I think this will be a great entry level macro lens and a great seller for Nikon.<br>

<br />RS</p>

<p>More Nikkors is always good! Does Nikon publish sales figures on individual products? I know that they have long prided themselves with their Micro lenses (I learned with a Nikkormat with a 55/3.5 Micro) but it still suprises me that of the 4 DX primes out today, 3 are basically 'niche' lenses - 2 macro's and a fisheye.... I know the macros can make great everyday lenses too but I'd love to hear the internal discussion - 40mm Micro vs 24mm DX prime...</p>

<blockquote>

<p> it still suprises me that of the 4 DX primes out today, 3 are basically 'niche' lenses</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't know sales figures, but I suspect that all primes for DX will always be niche lenses, as most of the folks who are buying D3100s and D5100s (I'd be surprised if those two models won't be half of Nikon's DSLR sales in the next year or so) probably are totally happy with the kit lens and maybe a tele zoom.</p>

<p>That said, a really small light 24mm f2.8 DX prime from then would be real nice.</p>

<p>This might make a nice DX copy lens, if the field is flat enough. And it's a good length for shooting things like plated food, where you want to get close enough to have some slightly pronounced perspective. I won't be running out to get one right away, but I can think of a lots of situations in which my currently shortest macro (60mm) sometimes does feel too long on DX. Of course, going FX with the lens I have would solve that problem, too, but that would cost a lot more than this new lens!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If this is priced as Shun has predicted</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The US$279.95 suggested price is not a prediction; it is official information from Nikon USA and that is both on their web site and in their press release: <a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2200/AF-S-DX-Micro-NIKKOR-40mm-f%252F2.8G.html">http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2200/AF-S-DX-Micro-NIKKOR-40mm-f%252F2.8G.html</a></p>

<p>Most likely, the "street price" you can order from Adorama, Amazon.com, and B&H will go down another 10% or so a few months after the lens' debut.</p>

<p>A couple of weeks ago, Josh Root and I had a conference call with Nikon USA, and they provided advanced information on this new lens so that we could write a preview. They quoted the price then. Moreover, Nikon confirmed that this is a flat-field lens suitable for copy work, similar to the 60mm/f2.8 AF-S Micro lens.</p>

<p>However, Nikon does not provide individual sales figures. I asked them about the percentage of DSLRs sold being DX, and they declined to answer. Nikon does release the number of DSLRs and lenses they sell annually. The latest number/estimates are 4.25M DSLRs and 6.35M lenses a year: <a href="http://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/pdf/2011/11_2qf_d_e.pdf">http://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/pdf/2011/11_2qf_d_e.pdf</a><br>

In other words, Nikon sells about 1.5 lenses for each DSLR. The likes of Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina plus Zeiss take a (big?) cut on the lenses.</p>

<p>To me, there is no dobut that well over 90% of DSLRs sold are DX, mainly those D3100 and D5100 they sell in huge numbers at Costco, Best Buy, etc. (and other outlets around the world). I checked with Thom Hogan, and his estimate is that DX is 95% of the market. Therefore, it makes a lot of sense for Nikon to make more affordable DX lenses in general. Whether the market really needs two dedicated DX macro lenses is beyond my knowledge.</p>

<p>This is a micro lens so one would expect it to give a flat filed of view without perspective distortion when shooting close to the subject of interest. Does that mean that this lens may be better suited than the 35/1.8 for a head-shoulder shot?</p>

<p>Macro for the masses! The focal length is perfect for 1:1 tabletop macro photography, and at this price point everyone can own one. Hopefully, the decision to eliminate nano coatings and ED elements will not corrupt optical performance. This might become the new standard for Ebay product photography.</p>

<p>I think this is a good idea. And for a really important reason --- Canon has a sub-$300 macro lens, and Nikon previously has not. </p>

<p>Many of my friends who come to me for advice about buying their first DSLR or ask me for advice about buying their second lens express an interest in macro photography. I've always been a Nikon shooter, but I have had to acknowledge that the Canon system offered a far less expensive route to macro photography that did not necessitate buying a used, manual focus lens. For this reason, I've had to recommend buying a Canon system to some people. </p>

<p>I realize that buying used lenses and using manual focus for macro photography isn't a big deal. But for someone new to photography it is a big deal and a probable non-starter. </p>

<p>Now, I can recommend a Nikon system to almost any new photographer without reservation, especially as Canon does not have a ~$200 moderately wide-angle prime. Nikon's new 50mm f/1.8 AF-S lens, which can focus on the least expensive Nikon bodies, is another really important step in this direction, and I think should be seen as regaining competitive parity with Canon. </p>

<p>When I first bought a DSLR, a Nikon D70 in 2004 just after its release, one of the next things I did was to buy a used Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 AF lens, to use for copy work. This lens is great on my D700 today for copy work, but the field of view was always a bit too narrow on my D70 to be comfortable. A 40mm f/2.8 macro lens would have terrific. I won't be buying this lens now though. A wide-angle macro would still be helpful to me, and someday I'll purchase a PC-E Micro-Nikkor 45mm f/2.8.</p>

<p>I'm sure that there are many Nikon shooters thrilled with this lens and for them I am very happy. I just don't happen to be one of them. When I want a micro lens shorter than 105mm, I still go to my ancient 55mm f/3.5 Nikkor. <br>

Meanwhile, along with a lot of other Nikon DX users, I'm still sitting around waiting for a wide angle prime. A nice 18mm and/or 24mm f/2.8 would put a big smile on our faces but Nikon really doesn't seem interested. I wouldn't even dare dream of an 18mm PC.</p>

<p>Surprising announcement. Wonder how well this will sell, the price sure is right, but I can't get away from the feeling that this a poor man's version of the 60/2.8G.<br>

I would have hoped that Nikon would have focused their efforts on the area between 60 and 200 mm, full frame coverage.</p>

<p>Samuel has a good point. Previously I wasn't aware that Canon had a sub-$300 macro lens.</p>

<p>It seems to be clear that the 40mm DX macro is an "economy model" for the consumer DX DSLRs. It should be interesting to test it against the 60mm/f2.8 AF-S macro. I would assume that Nikon puts aspheric and ED elements into the 60mm AF-S macro for a reason. I suppose I shouldn't mention the Zeiss ZF 50mm/f2 macro, which is well over $1200; that is a totally different price category.</p>

<p>Finally, this time Nikon managed to keep the new lens under wraps very well. In the last week or so, I kept searching for <em>Nikon 40mm DX macro</em>, and various search engines mainly returned the 2006 photo.net thread that I mentioned above. None of the usual rumor sites had any idea about this new lens; instead, some of them merely fabricated yet another list of future lenses (which makes little sense to me) to generate discussion.</p>