Nikon AFS-300mm / f4

ntv666

Dear Guys,

I was wondering before buying this lense, whether this lense will give the sharpness i need in slow shutter

speed? This thought came after reading the review of Mr.Brijohn , Nature Photographers, site . He has rated this

lense as a bad one and it does not give that much sharpness because of poor design of tripod collor. I just got

one and changed the KRIK Tripod Collor as suggessted by many and also I got it fixed in the KRIK BH-1 Ball

head. The results are posted here . You can very well judge this lens performancenow. This all taken with f11 at

4seconds with my D200. Manfrotto 55-Pro-B tripod.<div>00QME7-61005584.thumb.jpg.0abd360469ee33e19b6c4ead3e0d3c95.jpg</div>

Are you talking about Bjorn Roslett? http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_tele.html

As much as I do read Bjorn's reviews & that for the most part they're great - - fact is that when it comes to this lens, Bjorn's review is based upon the result with the Nikon lens collar which is not the greatest.

As for the lens - - based upon it's popularity alone I'll have to tell you it's a great lens. Sharpness is super. Bjorn may not have been happy with it - - but many are.

I love mine & have no sharpness issues with mine. And based upon your shot I'd say neither do you.

Base your opinion on this lens based upon what you see & what you're looking for.

JMHO

Lil

Read Bjorn's review more carefully. He does not rate this a bad lens. The lens itself is outstanding. The tripod mount is the weakness.

While the replacement collar with be an improvement, you should test it at shutter speeds that will be relevant. An exposure of several seconds is not a good test of the stability of a camera support because vibrations will tend to settle out before the exposure is completed. The best way to test the stability and vibration damping of any camera support is at shutter speeds between around 1/8-1/250 second. Anything much slower or faster will negate minor vibration.

Also, testing a Nikon camera or lens by photographing one's other Nikons and Nikkors is often misleading due to the fog induced by Nikon Acquisition Syndrome. NAS tends to skew our perspective.

Look at all the texture it shows in the fabric. This lens is way to sharp.

Did you try it with the Nikon collar? I tried mine with the collar provided and it works fine at 1/8 and 1/20.

I don`t know it it is the improved Nikon collar or not as I can`t find a comparison picture.

It would be nice if you could tell yours does not work the furnished collar and put up a photo of it showing the

critical angle between the base and 45 deg angle towards the lens and if the area was strengthened with

gussetts.

So far I have to agree this is a fine lens in all respects.

Dear Mr.Alex Lofquist . it is KRIK BH-1 Ball head

Dear Mr.Lil Judd, I have replaced the the Nikon Lens collor with KRIK Collor. Even with the Nikon collor I was not facing any problem when it is secured in the Tripod. I got aquite sharp images which I tried at the Zoo.

Mr.Lex,

I have gone through Mr.Bjørn Rørslett review once again. He has tried at all the shutter speed from 1/60 to 1/2 sec . But the results are not good with the nikon lens collor. I think he has raterd this lens with bad design and he has not rated about the optical quality which is best I think. Any how I am fully satified and the results are great .

Dear Mr.Dan Brown

My question is why should Mr.Mr.Bjørn Rørslett under rate this lens just because of the poor design of the lense collor?He can very well say that you have to change the collor to get the best result.! Those who go through his review of this lens, I am sure, will think twice before buying this lens. But the truth is , once you change the lens collor this is as good as your 300/f2.8.