Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70 2.8 ED vs Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70 ED

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by steve_johnston|4, Oct 24, 2019.

1. I have used an AF-S Nikkor 28-70 2.8 ED since it was introduced about 20 years ago. It has performed well on F100, D100, D200, D800E, and D850. Is the current 24-70 version sharper, have better contrast, longer dynamic range, less aberrations, etc., or cuter looking on the camera? Have I left something out?

2. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

That 28-70mm/f2.8 AF-S is still a fine lens today. However, having the extra 4mm on the wide end makes a significant difference. Just keep in mind that both versions of the 24-70mm/f2.8 AF-S, with and without VR, are huge, especially the newer E VR version.

steve_johnston|4 likes this.
  3. The AF-S 28-70/2.8 ED is also huge, especially compared with the older AF-D 35-70/2.8. In it's day it was often referred to as "the beast". The weight is marginally heavier than the AF-S 24-70/2.8 (non VR) and fatter, but is shorter. I never used it but it had a good reputation and was said to give pleasing rendition for portraits. The newer 24-70/2.8 zooms focus much closer and the extra width makes them more versatile, but if you don't need those features I am sure the 28-70 is still a fine lens. Note that it is an older lens now and the AF-S motors do eventually wear out, I'm not sure if Nikon still has spare parts.

4. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Here is a size comparison among several mid-range Nikkor zooms. The one I don't have is the 24-70mm/f2.8 G AF-S, without VR. It is similar to the AF-S VR version, just a bit smaller.

Since the 28-70mm/f2.8 AF-S is shorter, it feels smaller and easier to hold than the 24-70mm/f2.8 AF-S VR.

MidZooms_1574.jpg

5. Thank you very much. Based upon all the feedback, I'll plan on getting a current 24-40 2.8 VR in the future, assuming Nikon does not suddenly come out with pocket sized hi-res gear.

6. I looked into the same problem, it's hard for beginners, there are many answers, it's very good.
    shell shockers

7. I wonder just how big the 24-70mm 2.8 in Z-mount is gonna be?

8. mike_halliwell likes this.
  9. Doh, forgot they'd released the f2.8... shows how much attention I'm paying the Z mount lenses...:confused:

Guess it's a bit shorter the the F-Mount as it doesn't have the VR prism unit in?